2016-2017 NCAA football thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
At least 2 losses, maybe 3. Schedule is hard when the entire team is freshman. Its gonna be a different type of year.

At least you have a QB that is a huge threat. The public doesn't even know who yours is yet.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
I'm surprised there are so many ranked vs. ranked the first week. It should be a good weekend of football.

Yeah, it definitely works out where week one is awesome and week two blows. Good thing the NFL ramps up in NCAA week 2

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
I am VERY excited to see how he does, it's going to be a tough road to 6 wins but they have a shot.

Next year is going to be BRUTAL.

What about it? I'm not being confrontational, I just haven't followed Illinois football since the Tim Beckman scandal. Came back when they fired Cubit.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
What about it? I'm not being confrontational, I just haven't followed Illinois football since the Tim Beckman scandal. Came back when they fired Cubit.

Someone could correct me if I'm wrong but I think the majority of talent they have right now are seniors. So next year they will be gone and you can't expect Lovie's first recruiting class to kill it in the B1G right away so there may be some growing pains.

It's entirely possible that Lovie doesn't adjust to the college game or sucks at recruiting, but damn is it so nice to see an actual football coach on the sidelines.

Watching the Minnesota game reminded me how much I dislike the targeting rule. It's applied too liberally and inconsistently. The Gophers had 3 players ejected and only one was clear cut IMO. The first one wasn't even a hit above the shoulder, he hit him in the upper chest. The second was helmet to helmet, but the QB was going down for a slide during the tackle. There was a similar play for Oregon State that was not called.

I feel like it shouldn't be an automatic ejection, especially the way it is being applied. Even if they don't improve the consistency of what hits are and aren't penalties, at least reserve the ejection for clear dirty hits.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
You survive, Evan?

Ha, I was thinking the same thing and being the jerk that I am, I was sitting there rooting for Applachian State to pull the win just so I could picture Evan throwing a remote as his TV, haha.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 09:37 PM)
Someone could correct me if I'm wrong but I think the majority of talent they have right now are seniors. So next year they will be gone and you can't expect Lovie's first recruiting class to kill it in the B1G right away so there may be some growing pains.

It's entirely possible that Lovie doesn't adjust to the college game or sucks at recruiting, but damn is it so nice to see an actual football coach on the sidelines.

We lose Lunt, and our qbs next year will be dreadful. Seriously, Jeff George Jr. is being called the next starter right now...

Our DL is going to be great this year, and awful next. DT should be solid but we have 1 capable Big Ten starter at DE next year.

Losing a lot in the secondary as well.

OL will still be thin, need some guys to step up over the next year.

Put all of that together and I'm thinking 2-3 wins next year. Lovie is my boy, but he needs a bowl this year to really keep momentum going. Show that you can win with some talent, take the hit next year and get some of your guys on the field in 2 years.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
You survive, Evan?

Haha, barely. That was incredibly stressful. By the time the 4th quarter rolled around, I was just praying for a victory no matter how it happened. We looked horrible.

But I think App St is actually a pretty solid team. I'm not making excuses - a real Top 10 team should have beaten them easily. But App St has a real shot at beating Miami in 2 weeks. I fully expect them to win the Sun Belt again.

Additionally, I'm going to Bristol next week for the game against Virginia Tech. Had we lost, that trip would have been a lot less exciting. As it stands now, bring on the ~150,000 person crowd. Should be fun.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Ha, I was thinking the same thing and being the jerk that I am, I was sitting there rooting for Applachian State to pull the win just so I could picture Evan throwing a remote as his TV, haha.

Ha, all good - I'd be rooting for the underdog if it were any other team. By the end, I wasn't even angry. I was so resigned to the fact that we likely just lost to App St.