2016-2017 NCAA football thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 4, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
It just feels like the goalposts move around every year. Probably goes back to the Big 12 snub of TCU dropping three spots because they didn't have the thirteenth datapoint/championship and that being so important, until apparently it's not. The committee needs to get it's messaging right.

I do believe Ohio State is one of the best four teams in the nation, but the reasoning the committee gives every year is different.

Who you beat and lose to are important and the OOC was weak for those teams so the conf title broke the tie. This year it's not close. What was close was a two loss team with a better resume than a one loss team that played cupcakes.

Western Kentucky HC Jeff Brohm is the new coach at Purdue. Excellent hire for the Boilermakers. I love his pro style spread system. It's a tough rebuild there but he's a Petrino disciple and really knows QBs and the passing game. Has a good young QB in David Blough.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
Love the social media outrage over Peppers being a Heisman finalist. Of course he doesn't belong but who cares? It's obvious who's going to win.

Because there are players who probably did deserve to attend and instead you have a guy who doesn't have enough plays to fill up a highlight reel when they introduce him. I cannot recall a less deserving player of a trip to the ceremony.

And I understand if you think just being nominated is a joke, but not everyone feels that way. Just to be nominated is an honor IMO and he doesn't deserve it.

I'll add I don't agree with most of the list. Not just him.

Edited by RockRaines

For anyone to say he doesn't at least deserve to be nominated shows how unaware you are.

Were there or deserving guys? Of course. But he's still one of the best athletes in college football and deserves to at least make the trip to NY for,the recognition, as you said.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 08:15 PM)
Illinois just got a 4* JuCo QB that was committed to VTech. Has offers from almost everyone. Impressive

Jeremy Werner seeks to indicate the staff doesn't know about that, ha.

Edit: okay he reversed course a bit: "I can now confirm that #illini have taken a commitment from former Virginia Tech QB Dwayne Lawson."

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 07:51 PM)
For anyone to say he doesn't at least deserve to be nominated shows how unaware you are.

Were there or deserving guys? Of course. But he's still one of the best athletes in college football and deserves to at least make the trip to NY for,the recognition, as you said.

Why does being the best athlete make him deserving?

There are 5-10 guys in the Big Ten with better resumes.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 07:51 PM)

At least 50 more deserving guys, but yeah he's an "athlete."

Show me ONE metric that puts him in the top 10 players in the country. He's a LB so it should probably be tackles, or sacks, or TFL, or if you consider him a DB as well, how about pass defended, INTs, completion percentage when targeted. Or we can use his offensive stats?

Anything, just show me anything.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
He's going to end up having the most head coaching jobs in the history of sports.

I would never hope for anyone to intentionally fail.

It's Lane Kiffin.

Nevermind. F that guy.