2016-2017 NCAA football thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
Haha, barely. That was incredibly stressful. By the time the 4th quarter rolled around, I was just praying for a victory no matter how it happened. We looked horrible.

But I think App St is actually a pretty solid team. I'm not making excuses - a real Top 10 team should have beaten them easily. But App St has a real shot at beating Miami in 2 weeks. I fully expect them to win the Sun Belt again.

Additionally, I'm going to Bristol next week for the game against Virginia Tech. Had we lost, that trip would have been a lot less exciting. As it stands now, bring on the ~150,000 person crowd. Should be fun.

First 2 games of the year in college can be very stupid. Some teams will look incredible that aren't, others awful that are.

That's why I'd never want anyone but a cupcake for game 1. Props to those that schedule prime time first games like USC/Alabama

I don't know how good Iowa State will be this year, but the fact that there were over 50 RVs and busses ready to tailgate at 8 AM this morning for a game that doesn't occur til tomorrow at 7PM against an FCS school means we can still drink with any school.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
I don't know how good Iowa State will be this year, but the fact that there were over 50 RVs and busses ready to tailgate at 8 AM this morning for a game that doesn't occur til tomorrow at 7PM against an FCS school means we can still drink with any school.

If we're being honest, that's all that really matters.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
First game ever televised on Big Ten Network. What a gem.

I'll actually never forget that game because once it got to the 2nd half a buddy and I called all around Carbondale to find a place that was showing it so we could watch the end of it. The brand new(at the time) Buffalo Wild Wings was the only place that actually got the channel at the time.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
We lose Lunt, and our qbs next year will be dreadful. Seriously, Jeff George Jr. is being called the next starter right now...

Our DL is going to be great this year, and awful next. DT should be solid but we have 1 capable Big Ten starter at DE next year.

Losing a lot in the secondary as well.

OL will still be thin, need some guys to step up over the next year.

Put all of that together and I'm thinking 2-3 wins next year. Lovie is my boy, but he needs a bowl this year to really keep momentum going. Show that you can win with some talent, take the hit next year and get some of your guys on the field in 2 years.

Thanks. That makes sense. After the Beckman scandal I mostly stopped following Illini football. When Cubit was fired, I came back. Glad Whitman cleaned the place up. Hiring Lovie Smith is icing on the cake.