2016-2017 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 4, 2016 -> 11:28 PM)
Soo many seething Notre Dame haters on here, yeeesh. Must be a stressful life to have to live holding that much contempt.

Days like today make it great.

Notre Dame is like this EVERY YEAR. We're all just used to it and glad it's over with.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 4, 2016 -> 11:28 PM)
Soo many seething Notre Dame haters on here, yeeesh. Must be a stressful life to have to live holding that much contempt.

When they lose you a s*** ton of money, yeah I have massive contempt for those c**********s.

Edited by bmags
Language

Do you guys think Missouri football is going to be OK or is it ready for a steep decline? A 26-11 loss at West Virginia isn't that bad when you think about it. From the outside looking in, do you think it was a mistake for the Tigers to leave the Big 12? Would they return if asked just to get Kansas on the schedule again in two major sports?

Alabama is on such a roll in college football. Untoppable?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
3 guarantees in life: Death, taxes, and Kirk Ferentz @ Iowa. Is Jerry Reinsdorf the AD in Iowa City? They gave him a raise and an extension through 2026.

I have zero problem with it. This will also be the week they find a way to lose to ISU.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
3 guarantees in life: Death, taxes, and Kirk Ferentz @ Iowa. Is Jerry Reinsdorf the AD in Iowa City? They gave him a raise and an extension through 2026.

I mean has he been flirting with other programs behind the scenes or something? Whats the point to pay him and keep extending him?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
Because he is a great coach. Who else is going to do what he does at Iowa?

And his biggest threat is the NFL. I think people know he is happy at Iowa and probably isn't leaving for another college gig, but you never know with the NFL (and every few years, his name comes up, but I think the security has keeps that in-check). What he's done at Iowa is great (by my standards). Would he be great at USC or something, I don't know. Yes, he has some issues, but I certainly wouldn't go another direction and keeping him there longer is a plus in my book (as long as he keeps that hunger).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Because he is a great coach. Who else is going to do what he does at Iowa?

What makes him a "great" coach? He has 2 conference titles, the last one 12 years ago and has a somewhat pedestrian coaching record. Is he just "good enough"?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
What makes him a "great" coach? He has 2 conference titles, the last one 12 years ago and has a somewhat pedestrian coaching record. Is he just "good enough"?

It's freaking Iowa. I don't think many coaches would do nearly as good as he does if most of their recruits come out of West Des Moines. Iowa isn't exactly a hot bed of football talent. Many places still play 7 on 7. He gets 2 and 3 star recruits a shot in the NFL as well as any coach in America.

I have no idea how his style might work somewhere else, probably not as good as it does for others, but I don't think many people would have the success he has had in Iowa City. And those that perhaps would, are getting paid as well.

His teams have finished the season ranked in the top 10 five times. When that happens at a place similar, like Minnesota, give me a call.

It's a well deserved extension. He is a class act. From the Hayden Fry, Bill Belichick tree. If they could hire someone better, they wouldn't stay like he has. Iowa fans take him for granted. Whether he coaches another 10 years, I tend to doubt it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
It's freaking Iowa. I don't think many coaches would do nearly as good as he does if most of their recruits come out of West Des Moines. Iowa isn't exactly a hot bed of football talent. Many places still play 7 on 7. He gets 2 and 3 star recruits a shot in the NFL as well as any coach in America.

I have no idea how his style might work somewhere else, probably not as good as it does for others, but I don't think many people would have the success he has had in Iowa City. And those that perhaps would, are getting paid as well.

His teams have finished the season ranked in the top 10 five times. When that happens at a place similar, like Minnesota, give me a call.

It's a well deserved extension. He is a class act. From the Hayden Fry, Bill Belichick tree. If they could hire someone better, they wouldn't stay like he has. Iowa fans take him for granted. Whether he coaches another 10 years, I tend to doubt it.

Well said.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)

So that was a long way to say he's good enough and you don't expect better. Iowa at one point contended for national titles and that hope apparently is long gone.

Imo Iowa city and the university have a lot to sell and recruiting isn't as good as it could be and the team isn't winning as much as it could be either. If you look at "similar" schools and their success vs the talent in state, Wisconsin is a great comparison and places like Oregon aren't far off. Iowa has a ton to sell and its location is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
So that was a long way to say he's good enough and you don't expect better. Iowa at one point contended for national titles and that hope apparently is long gone.

Imo Iowa city and the university have a lot to sell and recruiting isn't as good as it could be and the team isn't winning as much as it could be either. If you look at "similar" schools and their success vs the talent in state, Wisconsin is a great comparison and places like Oregon aren't far off. Iowa has a ton to sell and its location is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

Last year they were a couple plays from being in the playoffs. If that isn't competing, I don't know what is. And they have had a couple other times during the Ferentz era where they were right there. That is about all I can ask for. Not going to fire the guy cause they didn't win "it". Oregon has a billion dollar budget (yes, I exaggerate a bit, but its true). Wisconsin is a good and fair comparison though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 05:48 PM)
Last year they were a couple plays from being in the playoffs. If that isn't competing, I don't know what is. And they have had a couple other times during the Ferentz era where they were right there. That is about all I can ask for. Not going to fire the guy cause they didn't win "it". Oregon has a billion dollar budget (yes, I exaggerate a bit, but its true). Wisconsin is a good and fair comparison though.

Nobody said fire the guy, but extend his contract with 5 years still on it? Seemed very very premature when they havent won the conference in over a decade and he wasnt being heavily pursued by another program.

And with all due respect, I dont believe Iowa was really in contention to win the national title, regardless of the outcome of that game. They did capitalize on not playing a single good team in conference until the title game which is all you could ask for. I just think there is more potential with Iowa than Ferentz has been tapping into the last decade. With the BIG West as crappy as it is, they should be able to be in the title game year after year, which of course has yet to be determined, but I would have waited another few years before I decided that I wanted Ferentz until he's senile.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
Nobody said fire the guy, but extend his contract with 5 years still on it? Seemed very very premature when they havent won the conference in over a decade and he wasnt being heavily pursued by another program.

And with all due respect, I dont believe Iowa was really in contention to win the national title, regardless of the outcome of that game. They did capitalize on not playing a single good team in conference until the title game which is all you could ask for.

I never said they were a title front-runner, but no one would ever expect Iowa to be the front runner to win a national champsionship. Under Ferentz, we've known were going to largely be competitive with certain years where we give it a pretty darn good run. This has included playing in some fantastic bowl games as well. Ferentz was re-energized the past year and I think they can have another very very good season (by Iowa standards) this year.

By the way, since 2001, Wisconsin has had a 70% winning percentage vs. Iowa's 64% and has won an additional 14 games (essentially one more game per season).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
I never said they were a title front-runner, but no one would ever expect Iowa to be the front runner to win a national champsionship. Under Ferentz, we've known were going to largely be competitive with certain years where we give it a pretty darn good run. This has included playing in some fantastic bowl games as well. Ferentz was re-energized the past year and I think they can have another very very good season (by Iowa standards) this year.

By the way, since 2001, Wisconsin has had a 70% winning percentage vs. Iowa's 64% and has won an additional 14 games (essentially one more game per season).

You are a math whiz, thats a nice stat.

I'd argue there are several "geographically challenged" programs in that same boat like Nebraska, MN, WI, WVU, Utah, Colorado, Mizzou, Kentucky, Kansas, Oregon, Washington etc. Proximity to a bed of talent is a plus, and of course facilities and campus. Iowa was always my favorite place to visit, but I think you can surely argue they are top tier in that group.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
You are a math whiz, thats a nice stat.

I'd argue there are several "geographically challenged" programs in that same boat like Nebraska, MN, WI, WVU, Utah, Colorado, Mizzou, Kentucky, Kansas, Oregon, Washington etc. Proximity to a bed of talent is a plus, and of course facilities and campus. Iowa was always my favorite place to visit, but I think you can surely argue they are top tier in that group.

I agree with all of those places and I'd argue Ferentz and Iowa have outperformed (and in many cases significantly) pretty much everyone on that list, with the exception of Wisconsin & Oregon. Heck, when you look at the big ten since Ferentz came in and I believe Ohio State & Wisconsin are the only teams who have won more games than Iowa since 2001 (note this is overall, not in conference). Iowa is ahead of Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State.

Note: I presume Nebraska has more, but I didn't look them up since they weren't in the big ten that long.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)

When did they compete for national titles?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
I'll never understand extending a coach when they have multiple years left. Even if you don't expect to make a change, it's an unnecessary risk for debateable gain.

Especially a guy at that age who isnt really being courted by anyone. The buyout increase makes no sense.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
I'll never understand extending a coach when they have multiple years left. Even if you don't expect to make a change, it's an unnecessary risk for debateable gain.

College coaches with less than 5 years on their contracts recruiting HS kids who more than likely will redshirt and be in a program for 5 years, can definitely be a problem, especially when there has been heat on the coach previously.