2016-2017 NCAA football thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you guys are overreacting a bit. Dude's getting paid 4-5 million a year, around top 15-20 in the country. The top guys make 7. He's maintained the "go to a bowl practically ever year and highly rated bowls ever 3-4 years" like Frye. For a school like Iowa, that's pretty standard and worth the price of admission IMO, especially coming off a 12-2 Rose Bowl year.

Buyout seems odd, but ultimately if he keeps going to bowl games that's all pennies in the jar.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
I think you guys are overreacting a bit. Dude's getting paid 4-5 million a year, around top 15-20 in the country. The top guys make 7. He's maintained the "go to a bowl practically ever year and highly rated bowls ever 3-4 years" like Frye. For a school like Iowa, that's pretty standard and worth the price of admission IMO, especially coming off a 12-2 Rose Bowl year.

Buyout seems odd, but ultimately if he keeps going to bowl games that's all pennies in the jar.

He had similar language in his previous contract. If they were to buy him out 4 or 5 years ago, it would have cost a mint. Recruits know who is going to be coaching Iowa. I don't know why that's a bad thing. Besides, it isn't like coaching salaries are going to be dropping any time soon.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
College coaches with less than 5 years on their contracts recruiting HS kids who more than likely will redshirt and be in a program for 5 years, can definitely be a problem, especially when there has been heat on the coach previously.

A good chunk of coaches don't even last 5 years, so I don't buy that. Even if it is true, is that worth the risk of paying someone a fortune to go away after a few 5-7 seasons or a major scandal/violations? Or sticking with a guy too long because of the buyout to the detriment of your program?

NU did the same thing with Fitz, and while I think he would have to murder someone for NU to consider moving on, I'm still not sure it's worth it.

Is the buyout a two way street in that in order to leave the hiring party would have to pay Iowa that amount?

Doesn't the buyout essentially mean he is not going anywhere?

Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland would die for the stability that he is bringing to that program.

Fitz at NU is very comparable. Keep the program clean, keep the team interesting and make a run at hte Rose Bowl from time to time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
He had similar language in his previous contract. If they were to buy him out 4 or 5 years ago, it would have cost a mint. Recruits know who is going to be coaching Iowa. I don't know why that's a bad thing. Besides, it isn't like coaching salaries are going to be dropping any time soon.

His buyout went from 8 to over 40 million dollars. Recruits knew he would still be coaching Iowa for the next 5 years already.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
Is the buyout a two way street in that in order to leave the hiring party would have to pay Iowa that amount?

Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland would die for the stability that he is bringing to that program.

Fitz at NU is very comparable. Keep the program clean, keep the team interesting and make a run at hte Rose Bowl from time to time.

Huh? Iowa routinely has some of the highest arrest numbers in the nation. I dont consider that close to what NW does.

And where exactly was a coach his age going to go with 5 years left on his contract and an already large buyout?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)

They usually have clauses that include set offs if not full waivers if he's hired somewhere else. There are also for-cause firings that may include a waiver, e.g., if he caused a huge scandal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
He's guaranteed right now about 39 million and it can increase based on what I saw. 39+ is the min

If you take out the 4 years already guaranteed based on his prior contract that number drops (it's essentially a 6 season extension).

Regardless, it's not a lot of money for a top 15-20 team that goes bowling ever year and needs some momentum to keep up ticket sales. All the articles i've read state there was a huge drop off in 2014 before the Rose Bowl season last year.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
If you take out the 4 years already guaranteed based on his prior contract that number drops (it's essentially a 6 season extension).

Regardless, it's not a lot of money for a top 15-20 team that goes bowling ever year and needs some momentum to keep up ticket sales. All the articles i've read state there was a huge drop off in 2014 before the Rose Bowl season last year.

I don't think anyone was questioning his salary, just the unnecessary extension and buyout. In the last few years his salary has settled down about right where it should rank in the grand scheme of thing for sure.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
His buyout went from 8 to over 40 million dollars. Recruits knew he would still be coaching Iowa for the next 5 years already.

His buyout was $8 million because it went down every year. It was over $20 million 2 or 3 years ago. I don't know why you are so concerned about Iowa wanting to lock up its very successful football coach. I am an alum and think it is a good move. Have been following the team since he was an assistant under Hayden, and am a bit more realistic IMO, of their chances to compete year after year. There are going to be down years. There are going to be great ones, they aren't winning a National Championship. And to think they should ne in the conversion for one isn't being realistic.

Iowa is usually top 10 in Athlectic department revenue., so they can afford him. And the buyout isn't going to happen anyway.

He will retire in a few years and his son will be the next Iowa head coach.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
His buyout was $8 million because it went down every year. It was over $20 million 2 or 3 years ago. I don't know why you are so concerned about Iowa wanting to lock up its very successful football coach. I am an alum and think it is a good move. Have been following the team since he was an assistant under Hayden, and am a bit more realistic IMO, of their chances to compete year after year. There are going to be down years. There are going to be great ones, they aren't winning a National Championship. And to think they should ne in the conversion for one isn't being realistic.

Iowa is usually top 10 in Athlectic department revenue., so they can afford him. And the buyout isn't going to happen anyway.

He will retire in a few years and his son will be the next Iowa head coach.

Don't be so sensitive. Nobody is "concerned", it's a message board and we are voicing our opinions on something that many other people have. The extension is weird and his agent is a genius.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 07:00 PM)
Ferentz probably has a clause he can be fired for NCAA violations. So might as well wrap him up to end his career there. He's kind of like Snyder at K-State. You aren't going to do better than Kirk so why not tie him up?

He already had 5 years left, I was assuming that was the end of his career, maybe not. Maybe he'll Paterno and stay until just before death.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
He had 4, this added 6, and he won't coach his entire contract. His son is being groomed.

Pretty much.

Haven't ever heard much bad about the guy. He's got a losing record against Iowa State, but I'm sure lots of people do in over 10 matchups.

Seriously though, he probably deserved a year like last year. I hope Iowa loses every game, but it's sure not because of him.

However, this totally sets the stage for him to lose to a really bad Iowa State team this week on some freak occurrence.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
And apparently the refs f***ed up and the play shouldn't have happened. Even better.

Yeah what was deal? On clip I saw, play started at zero so I figured t was some defensive penalty.