2016-2017 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Nothing here really refutes the point that if OSU were in PSU position they would've gotten in. All the excuse making in the world doesn't overcome the H2H loss. OSU fans will talk your ear off about how PSU won that game on a fluke, but I've yet to hear a convincing big picture argument that H2H is pointless. Or that conference championships are pointless. Or at least that a H2H victory and conference championship can be cancelled out by a stupid loss three months prior.

They wouldnt have gotten in over Washington. Washington had and a better resume. Vs OSU's resume, its wasnt that close. OSU has Less losses and better wins. H2H and conference titles are tie breakers when its all equal. PSU doesnt have better wins than @wisconson @ oklahoma and vs Michigan. Period. They also have an additional loss. H2H doesnt matter with those things considered.

You could have learned all of that by watching the selection show or reading their criteria.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
Penn State had 2 losses. Ohio State had 1. This is easy to figure out. And if Penn State, why not Michigan?

Michigan was probably better team than both frankly. If Michigan didnt lose that game to Iowa and still lost to OSU that may have kept Washington out.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
Penn State had 2 losses. Ohio State had 1. This is easy to figure out. And if Penn State, why not Michigan?

Because they lost to Iowa and didn't win conference.

They wouldnt have gotten in over Washington. Washington had and a better resume. Vs OSU's resume, its wasnt that close. OSU has Less losses and better wins. H2H and conference titles are tie breakers when its all equal. PSU doesnt have better wins than @wisconson @ oklahoma and vs Michigan. Period. They also have an additional loss. H2H doesnt matter with those things considered.

You could have learned all of that by watching the selection show or reading their criteria.

So if OSU had one more loss but owned the H2H and won the B1G you wouldn't be complaining the other way?

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
So if OSU had one more loss but owned the H2H and won the B1G you wouldn't be complaining the other way?

Find me better wins and better losses than OSU had in PSU's resume and then it matters, until then you may want to take a look at who PSU actually competed with for the #4 slot.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
That isn't really a good answer to that question.

It's a great answer to a s***ty question. Once again compare the resume, listen to what the committee said and then you will he actually informed.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
Urban should get criticized like crazy for that hiring, but he won't because winning is all that matters.

Spot on. I think most echoed my post when he was canned that he would be welcome as a coordinator. It's being considered a home run hire.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
Spot on. I think most echoed my post when he was canned that he would be welcome as a coordinator. It's being considered a home run hire.

There's definitely been more criticism in the national media than I expected, so Urban's gonna have to do some explaining or tell some funny jokes at the next press conference. But all will be forgotten when they put up a 70 spot vs Indiana.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
There's definitely been more criticism in the national media than I expected, so Urban's gonna have to do some explaining or tell some funny jokes at the next press conference. But all will be forgotten when they put up a 70 spot vs Indiana.

Wilson and Randy Walker are the ones who taught Urban the spread offense back in the day and they are all also close with Stoops who he worked for as well. I think their personal friendship and his history was enough to not care about what happened there. I bet he never addresses it other than saying they've been friends a long time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
Saw that, apparently there today.

Seems kind beneath him IMO.

It always seemed to me that over the last few years that Les was always on the verge of being fired and reminded me a lot of Ron Zook. He seems to have lost his luster.

That division in the SEC has cost a few guys jobs though.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)
The players really have no leverage so getting pissy with the administration is never going to end well for the players.

Yeah, their only option is to play or transfer, not sure how serious they are about leaving. It's just such a toxic situation with even Jerry Kill talking s*** about the administration, but Fleck isn't gonna go 12-0 ever again at W. Michigan, so gotta get paid while you can.