2016-2017 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
Yeah, their only option is to play or transfer, not sure how serious they are about leaving. It's just such a toxic situation with even Jerry Kill talking s*** about the administration, but Fleck isn't gonna go 12-0 ever again at W. Michigan, so gotta get paid while you can.

Looks like he's the one.

His attitude will change the tone in the program, but I'm sure several players will leave. But thats pretty common when any new coach comes in.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On his most recent podcast, Bill Simmons called Nick Saban a coward for staying in Alabama and "picking on and beating inferior competition" because he wont come to the NFL. He also threw in a few shots "does he hit from the pink tees when he golfs?" and things like that.

thoughts?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
On his most recent podcast, Bill Simmons called Nick Saban a coward for staying in Alabama and "picking on and beating inferior competition" because he wont come to the NFL. He also threw in a few shots "does he hit from the pink tees when he golfs?" and things like that.

thoughts?

I think Bill is upset that he is now irrelevant is trying to get his name back in the news.

If what Saban is doing is so easy, why can't any other coach (other than Urban) compete with him? The previous Alabama coaches couldn't hand-pick recruits the way he does, it's because he's so good.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 05:51 AM)

thoughts?

Greatest basketball coach ever never had to leave UCLA. Saban makes everything so easy and he doesn't have to go to NFL to show how great he is. Guy can keep working at his craft to remain the best at what he does (in college). If he wants to go to pro's to try it out, great, but if he doesn't, it doesn't make him a coward.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)
I'm sensing an upset tonight. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Clemson can be run on between the tackles, something OSU decided they didnt want to do for some reason. If Bama has success and stays with that then I think they win. If they have to throw then its anyone's guess. I have Clemson winning this one 24-20

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)
I'm sensing an upset tonight. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking.

They almost beat them last year, so I don't see why they couldn't. They have the pass rush to give the freshman QB some fits and maybe cause a mistake or two. And Watson should be able to put up some points on the D.

I am curious to see who Iowa hires as its new OC. My presumption is his son is going to be the next OC and I don't think that is a bad thing (by all accounts he was a very good assistant, players like him, and I think he can be a good recruiter as well).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
Greatest basketball coach ever never had to leave UCLA. Saban makes everything so easy and he doesn't have to go to NFL to show how great he is. Guy can keep working at his craft to remain the best at what he does (in college). If he wants to go to pro's to try it out, great, but if he doesn't, it doesn't make him a coward.

He did go to pros and then went to Alabama.

He is in the same boat as Harbaugh.

The pro game is predicated on having ownership that knows what they are doing.

Sadly there few NFL jobs better than Alabama.

Dumb conversation....ask Chip Kelly.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
He did go to pros and then went to Alabama.

He is in the same boat as Harbaugh.

The pro game is predicated on having ownership that knows what they are doing.

Sadly there few NFL jobs better than Alabama.

Dumb conversation....ask Chip Kelly.

Yeah, but I think they are implying he's chicken to go back again. Who knows how he would have done if he stuck around at Miami or if he decided to go now (he might have learned somethings). Either way, just cause he's dominating the college ranks (and making this many championships, regardless of the outcome tonight is dominating, imo) doesn't mean he's chicken if he doesn't try going pro. I think people forget how close it was that Saban ended up as the Bears head coach (IIRC, Angelo was very close to convincing him to come to Chicago).

Regarding Chip Kelly, I am curious what he will do. Does he stay in the pro's or does he go back to college? If he goes back, where does he go? Does he go back to Oregon or does he think its a better sign of respect if he heads somewhere else. I'd have to imagine if Notre Dame struggles, they'd throw a lot of money at Chip Kelly (to replace Brian). Some rumors that he's going to Cal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
Yeah, but I think they are implying he's chicken to go back again. Who knows how he would have done if he stuck around at Miami or if he decided to go now (he might have learned somethings). Either way, just cause he's dominating the college ranks (and making this many championships, regardless of the outcome tonight is dominating, imo) doesn't mean he's chicken if he doesn't try going pro. I think people forget how close it was that Saban ended up as the Bears head coach (IIRC, Angelo was very close to convincing him to come to Chicago).

Regarding Chip Kelly, I am curious what he will do. Does he stay in the pro's or does he go back to college? If he goes back, where does he go? Does he go back to Oregon or does he think its a better sign of respect if he heads somewhere else. I'd have to imagine if Notre Dame struggles, they'd throw a lot of money at Chip Kelly (to replace Brian). Some rumors that he's going to Cal.

He's making more money and has more freedom in college than the NFL. Whats the draw?

Why can't Nick Saban just be enjoying the job and life he has at Alabama? Plus can we get past the idea of using thing associated with girls as an insult for men? It is the 21st century, haven't we gotten past that? (Bill Simmmons that is, not you Jas)

My point on Chip Kelly was more bout he 49ers organization. NFL ownership and college administrators are two different balls of wax.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
He's making more money and has more freedom in college than the NFL. Whats the draw?

Only thing would be this presumed ego (or that seems to be what Bill Simmons is implying). My view is that he is so freaking good, that continuing to do so at Bama is just as impressive as if he went to the NFL and had a couple playoff years (since going to the NFL and winning multiple championships is so difficult...especially because as a head coach, you just have a lot less control...even if you were the GM too and I'm sure he would be...it still isn't the same). If you asked me who is better, Carrol (who has had ultimate success at both levels) or Saban...personally I'd say Saban.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Only thing would be this presumed ego (or that seems to be what Bill Simmons is implying). My view is that he is so freaking good, that continuing to do so at Bama is just as impressive as if he went to the NFL and had a couple playoff years (since going to the NFL and winning multiple championships is so difficult...especially because as a head coach, you just have a lot less control...even if you were the GM too and I'm sure he would be...it still isn't the same). If you asked me who is better, Carrol (who has had ultimate success at both levels) or Saban...personally I'd say Saban.

NFL types seem to think its some honor to be a coach there. Not everyone feels the same. Saban can do whatever he wants, gets paid way more than NFL coaches and quite literally can work forever if he wanted.

i also think a lot of what keeps Saban in Alabama is total control. I think he realized controlling 18-22 year old kids making zero money is a hell of a lot easier than controlling millionaire men who are the best at what they do. He got his personnel control in Miami and his results were really less than spectacular (to put it mildly) and he decided it wasnt for him

And when you bring up Carroll, you really have to wonder if he would have had the nuts to jump to the NFL again if USC hadnt been sanctioned from all of the Bush era nonsense that caught up.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
i also think a lot of what keeps Saban in Alabama is total control. I think he realized controlling 18-22 year old kids making zero money is a hell of a lot easier than controlling millionaire men who are the best at what they do. He got his personnel control in Miami and his results were really less than spectacular (to put it mildly) and he decided it wasnt for him

And when you bring up Carroll, you really have to wonder if he would have had the nuts to jump to the NFL again if USC hadnt been sanctioned from all of the Bush era nonsense that caught up.

I also think Chip Kelly only left because he knew Oregon was about to get hit too. Heck, that is probably the only thing that is going to get Saban to leave AL and that is NCAA problems.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
I also think Chip Kelly only left because he knew Oregon was about to get hit too. Heck, that is probably the only thing that is going to get Saban to leave AL and that is NCAA problems.

Did Oregon get hit pretty hard? I missed that