2016-2017 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
Very interested to see what Lovie would be getting paid. His salary in the pros was $5 million, that would leave him 3rd in the B1G behind Harbaugh and Meyer. No way Illinois pays him that much, but how much of a pay cut would he take?

He is getting paid from Tampa anyways, so I am sure his Illini paycheck won't matter until the Tampa checks stop coming

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At this point, there's no way the talent level doesn't improve at Illinois. Lovie doesn't have to be a good recruiter, he just needs to make Illinois not one of the worst teams in the conference. Once he's comfortably done that, we can talk about whether he needs to get better at recruiting

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Average to bad also describes every single QB who ever played for him the NFL.

He also had a load of personnel say during his time in Chicago. In fact prior to being hired in Tampa, he was on ESPN with Trey Wingo and said that if he had to do it all over again, he'd put more time into the QB position and the evaluating that goes with it.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 08:42 PM)
He has such an easy job relative to any other Illinois coach and he'll likely be a top ranked recruiter in the Big Ten, particularly on defense. Come on man, Urlacher, Briggs, Tilman. These are great connections to have and I don't care if they were 7 or 8, the Bears are a religion in Chicago, the number one recruiting bed in the mid west and everyone knows it. Well, apparently except you. Maybe you should google it. Or better yet, ask Dan Bernstein for more witty responses with no argumentative content.

The number one recruiting bed in the Midwest for football is Chicago? Wow you know less than I thought.

Your "number one recruiting bed of the Midwest" has 3 4 star recruits. 3. But continue.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
At this point, there's no way the talent level doesn't improve at Illinois. Lovie doesn't have to be a good recruiter, he just needs to make Illinois not one of the worst teams in the conference. Once he's comfortably done that, we can talk about whether he needs to get better at recruiting

Just has to be competitive in the division really. If Illinois overhauls the staff and pays them it should be an easy way to turn the program around. It will be interesting to see who he has in line to hire this late in the game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 06:14 AM)
Just has to be competitive in the division really. If Illinois overhauls the staff and pays them it should be an easy way to turn the program around. It will be interesting to see who he has in line to hire this late in the game.

That's what I told my buddy who is an Illini fan. In that division, it should be easy to turn any of the programs into a competitive one.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 06:37 AM)
That's what I told my buddy who is an Illini fan. In that division, it should be easy to turn any of the programs into a competitive one.

Exactly. Looking at last years Illinois top 40

rivals top 40

If you can grab a bunch of the higher three stars that go to Iowa etc and steal a four star or two and you've already turned the talent around. I've mentioned it many times this year, Illinois was missing on lots of talent simply by not identifying it or putting effort into it. That can be easily changed.

IMO, this is about as good as Illinois could do, so they should be applauded for the move. I have no idea how Lovie will recruit, what kind of assistants (other than his sons) he will be bringing, but Lovie does know defense and is one of the most respected defensive coaches in football.

My main concern is what is the goal with Lovie? Is he going to build the program and stay 10 years? Or is this a 2-3 year move with the goal that Lovie improves Illinois recruiting with his name, brings energy back to the program and then hire a young coach who can lead the program for 20+ years?

The bottom line is Illinois was getting nowhere with the Cubits and Beckman's of the world, so this move cannot be worse.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
IMO, this is about as good as Illinois could do, so they should be applauded for the move. I have no idea how Lovie will recruit, what kind of assistants (other than his sons) he will be bringing, but Lovie does know defense and is one of the most respected defensive coaches in football.

My main concern is what is the goal with Lovie? Is he going to build the program and stay 10 years? Or is this a 2-3 year move with the goal that Lovie improves Illinois recruiting with his name, brings energy back to the program and then hire a young coach who can lead the program for 20+ years?

The bottom line is Illinois was getting nowhere with the Cubits and Beckman's of the world, so this move cannot be worse.

Spot on. Even if it's a short stint on his way back to the NFL it's a momentum starter for the program.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
Mike Sherman or Jeff Tedford as OC. John Holecek may be coming on board. Urlacher rumors.

Wow those would be good. I'd also target one of the prominent high school HCs in the area on he defensive side to make immediate impact in recruiting the area. That would all combined make for a quick improvement.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 06:11 AM)
The number one recruiting bed in the Midwest for football is Chicago? Wow you know less than I thought.

Your "number one recruiting bed of the Midwest" has 3 4 star recruits. 3. But continue.

The state of Illinois is second in the midwest in top 100 recruits in the last 5 years with 22 behind only Ohio, and no metropolitan area in Ohio has more top football recruits than Chicago.

But please, continue to not make an argument.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
The state of Illinois is second in the midwest in top 100 recruits in the last 5 years with 22 behind only Ohio, and no metropolitan area in Ohio has more top football recruits than Chicago.

But please, continue to not make an argument.

Lol keep changing the target every time you make a post. That's an awesome strategy. I'm fully excited to see this recruiting domination occur in the hotbed of Chicago.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
Lol keep changing the target every time you make a post. That's an awesome strategy. I'm fully excited to see this recruiting domination occur in the hotbed of Chicago.

My argument is the same: Chicago is the largest single recruiting location in the B1G and Lovie has connections. You seem content to contribute nothing, as usual.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
My argument is the same: Chicago is the largest single recruiting location in the B1G and Lovie has connections. You seem content to contribute nothing, as usual.

Totally and when Illinois out recruits everyone for the single rivals 100 guy that Chicago produces every year it's on. I'm totally on board with you dude. Amazing research.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
Wow those would be good. I'd also target one of the prominent high school HCs in the area on he defensive side to make immediate impact in recruiting the area. That would all combined make for a quick improvement.

Holecek is that exact person.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
Holecek is that exact person.

Oh now that would be interesting. Extremely well respected coach. Then someone else plus Lovie for Texas and someone for Ohio and Fla on the staff or a big name that can go anywhere and its a great start.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 11:50 PM)
Ryan Baker reporting that Lovie Smith's official announcement will be tomorrow :)

Wow, haven't heard that name in a long time. Baker use to do sports in Orlando.

Either way, great hire by Illinois. If Lovie is up for the recruiting challenge, you have to think he will do well, especially when it comes to meeting with parents.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
Oh now that would be interesting. Extremely well respected coach. Then someone else plus Lovie for Texas and someone for Ohio and Fla on the staff or a big name that can go anywhere and its a great start.

I wonder who Illinios can hire as an assistant who can recruit really well and knows the state of Florida......

Zooker returns!