2016 Recruiting Thread

bmags

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
Looks like Illinois is going to lose out on Goodwin to SLU. Damn. At least the wing is probably the position the Illini have the most depth in.

I don't really care that Jgood was a wing, he was priority 1b for me (right after Tilmon). Yes, pg is a bigger need I just think he would've been so good at Illinois.

I'm pretty upset about this, it just sucks a ton that Travis freakin' Ford steals him away (yes I know Tate was a big reason but Ford getting Jgood and Evans just irks me so much).

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
Looks like Illinois is going to lose out on Goodwin to SLU. Damn. At least the wing is probably the position the Illini have the most depth in.

That would be awful. He's way too good for SLU

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 06:24 PM)
That would be awful. He's way too good for SLU

Zero doubt that recruitment is dirty. I don't think he even should have really chosen Illinois with Groce as our coach but a kid who claims academics matter that had offers from NW, Illinois, and Texas (and then from a basketball perspective an MSU offer amongst others) chooses to go to SLU to play for Travis Ford?

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 08:02 PM)
Yup. Definitely some weird factors in play. I guess it's to be expected in college recruiting though. He's going to be very good there.

Ford does have a pretty good reputation as a recruiter and brought his top recruiter with him from OSU.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 12:25 PM)
Ford does have a pretty good reputation as a recruiter and brought his top recruiter with him from OSU.

Yeah, but SLU was still not much of a threat until they hired Goodwin's AAU coach and some other shady things supposedly happened. It is what it is though.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
Yeah, he's going to be a good player, but not much the staff could have done.

He also probably wouldn't have started until year 2 or 3 in the program.

Yup staff couldn't do much more, that's why I'm butthurt.

And disagree on the 2nd part, though I'm not as high on DJW and Jordan as others, and I like Kipper a lot but until I see his shooting I'm not sure if he'll be more than a decent slasher/plus defender. I though Jgood was going to push for starter as a sophomore.

The way Goodwin handled the last few weeks of his recruitment was definitely odd. Just flat out stopped talking to Illinois coaches and then said his recruitment came down to Northwestern and SLU. Ok then.

Doesn't seem like a kid Illinois ever had a true shot with.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
The way Goodwin handled the last few weeks of his recruitment was definitely odd. Just flat out stopped talking to Illinois coaches and then said his recruitment came down to Northwestern and SLU. Ok then.

Doesn't seem like a kid Illinois ever had a true shot with.

You're definitely misreading the situation, but the point remains that Goodwin went elsewhere, so I guess it's moot.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
You're definitely misreading the situation, but the point remains that Goodwin went elsewhere, so I guess it's moot.

People close to him kept telling him not to commit to Illinois and let it play out, and then he just stops talking to the staff a few weeks before he commits elsewhere? Doesn't seem like a situation they had much of a shot at to me.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
People close to him kept telling him not to commit to Illinois and let it play out, and then he just stops talking to the staff a few weeks before he commits elsewhere? Doesn't seem like a situation they had much of a shot at to me.

The fact that people close to him had to continuously convince him to not commit indicates that they had a great shot at him. If everything doesn't play out the way it did at SLU (hiring of Tate as well as other supposed things) he more than likely becomes an Illini.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
The fact that people close to him had to continuously convince him to not commit indicates that they had a great shot at him. If everything doesn't play out the way it did at SLU (hiring of Tate as well as other supposed things) he more than likely becomes an Illini.

I get what you're saying, and he definitely liked Illinois enough to want to commit. But, the fact that those people were there to stop him and ultimately push him in the direction he ended up going is why he seems like a guy they never truly had a shot at to me.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)
PG Trent Frazier visiting Illinois this weekend. Has been saying that Illinois has been his leader from day 1. Would be a huge get if Illinois could get a commitment from him this weekend.

And Frazier commits to the Illini today! Huge pick up for Illinois!

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 21, 2016 -> 05:07 PM)
And Frazier commits to the Illini today! Huge pick up for Illinois!

Yup very solid pickup, great job by the staff to identify him early.

Hopefully we can get a PF like Kiir and call it a class.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Yup very solid pickup, great job by the staff to identify him early.

Hopefully we can get a PF like Kiir and call it a class.

Get Kiir, then swing for the fences for Wilkes or Scruggs. If not, then just roll it over into 2018