Rest of Offseason Poll

Dunt

Offseason Targets  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the Sox to pick up still?

• Austin Jackson
    • Dexter Fowler
    • Ian Desmond
    • Yovani Gallardo
    • Mat Latos
    • Doug Fister
    • Outfielder trade
    • Other

Just interested to see where everybody is at right now. I think they add someone before Soxfest, but that might be it. Austin Jackson makes the most sense to me, I dont know that there is a big enough difference between him and Fowler to justify giving up a pick. A combo of Desmond and Jackson is really intriguing to me personally.

I picked Desmond and Jackson. I wouldn't mind Fowler or Jackson, but I think there's any scenario where the Sox sign two guys that would require giving up draft picks.

I'd like to see a cheap 2-year deal for Desmond and 2 or 3 year deal for Jackson. I would imagine they could get both those guys for about what they were willing to pay Cespedes per year.

I don't like the idea of sacrificing a pick for Desmond although I also hate Saladino in a starting role, really praying Anderson works out

Cespedes was the guy I wanted bad and last elite OF available, can just hope Avi produces like he did in '13 and even '14 because I remain a big fan

Also upset Alexei wasn't brought back, even in a lesser role, big miss by Hahn, could have mentored Anderson

CarGo interests me as an OF option as does Andre Ethier but only for the right price, Anderson/Fulmer/Adams/Adolfo are all untouchable to me but I'd love to dump Sanchez or Saladino

I also like Lincecum for cheap if he shows he's healthy

Edited by ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Jackson and Latos, for me.

There's nothing left that I think is worth the Samardzija pick or the $. So, sign some low $ lottery tickets as backup for weak spots, and make those 3 top 50 picks count.

Absolutely agree, those 3 picks must be kept at this point and while Jackson and Latos (I prefer Lincecum and his willingness to pitch in 'pen) don't solve anything, they add depth and Hahn can show he wasn't done, may as well go after the Cuban OFer Hernandez too, hit on those 3 picks and I'll be happy

After losing out on Cespedes and not bringing back Ramirez and seeing how DET and KC both are, I don't see us being too competitive in 2016, 85 wins at very most

Guess we'll have to wait for the arrivals of Anderson, Fulmer, and hopefully a new manager (Ozzie)

I've come around a lot on Desmond and he's very intriguing. There are reasons to be afraid - his slow but clear downward offensive trend, the draft pick (which forces the Sox to either seek a longer deal to maximize the pick's value while nullifying Tim Anderson, or swallow deep and give up the pick for one year of Desmond). But if his price is really as dirt cheap as it seems and we have a shot at a 20-20 guy, you gotta think about it.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
Absolutely agree, those 3 picks must be kept at this point and while Jackson and Latos (I prefer Lincecum and his willingness to pitch in 'pen) don't solve anything, they add depth and Hahn can show he wasn't done, may as well go after the Cuban OFer Hernandez too, hit on those 3 picks and I'll be happy

I would prefer Lincecum as well except that we have 4 lefties in the rotation already and I'm looking at insurance for Johnson. If we were more balanced, than yeah...I'd rather take a flier on Tim.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
I would prefer Lincecum as well except that we have 4 lefties in the rotation already and I'm looking at insurance for Johnson. If we were more balanced, than yeah...I'd rather take a flier on Tim.

What? Are you thinking Lincecum is left handed? He's not.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
What? Are you thinking Lincecum is left handed? He's not.

LOL! Yes, I was! My bad.

Then either Latos or Lincecum but I think maybe still Latos because he's certainly bigger and maybe a little more durable.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
I really think people are overrating the Tigers. Even with Upton I don't see them as much more than an 81-84 win team right now.

Neither are we, though. Having another team in the division that's equally as good is a substantial obstacle.

I'd give up the pick for Desmond on a 2 year contract with an opt out or mutual option after 2016. Then I'd trade for an outfielder, maybe/preferably Gomez from Houston since he shouldn't cost a ton prospect-wise for 1 year of control. Then find yourself a starting RHP who doesn't cost a pick.

I'd might give up a pick for Fowler depending on the length of contract--I'd prefer short term 1-3 years. He's probably thinking 3 to 4 years so probably not gonna happen...

I'd like to see the Sox take a run at Andrew Aplin in Houston. Aplin has so many outfielders ahead of him he likely plays again in AAA for the Astros in '16. LH OF bat that walks more than strikes out. Could slot well at #2 in the lineup. Mostly played CF with some RF too last year.

Edited by BlackSox13

Latos needs to meet with Cooper and see if they mesh. I don't want a repeat of Smard. I would not sign anyone costing a pick right now as I don't think they are worth it. The Cuban players would be fine. I wonder of several of these remaining players may not get signed until after the pick expires.