Sox should trade for Andre Ethier

shysocks

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
John Danks + Chris Beck for Andre Ethier + $3.75M in 2016, $1.75M in 2017 and $2.5M in 2018.

Then the Sox are short a starting pitcher, needing both Johnson AND Turner to pitch well enough to compete. Danks isn't great, but he is going to give you 200 IP.

Then the Sox are short a starting pitcher, needing both Johnson AND Turner to pitch well enough to compete. Danks isn't great, but he is going to give you 200 IP.

I know Danks is a loss, but the gain from Ethier >> the loss from Danks, plus you get Ethier for two years.

I think this was posted before, if so, forgive me. Going off mlb.com depth charts, the top four starters for all of the Sox division rivals are all RHP. Thats unbelievable.

Career splits of Fowler versus RHP, .252/.351/.410. Ethier? .304/.383/.507.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)

That doesn't make any sense though because Shuck is also LH. Doesn't really help the situation at all. Who is the platoon partner for LaRoche? Who is the platoon partner for Ethier?

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
I think this was posted before, if so, forgive me. Going off mlb.com depth charts, the top four starters for all of the Sox division rivals are all RHP. Thats unbelievable.

Career splits of Fowler versus RHP, .252/.351/.410. Ethier? .304/.383/.507.

This is a great point hitman. I was just looking at their '15 numbers...

Fowler vs RHP .228/ .331/ .395. Ethier vs RHP .306/ .383/ .517

If the Sox signed Fowler I wouldn't complain but at this point I would prefer Ethier as long as the trade is reasonable.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
That doesn't make any sense though because Shuck is also LH. Doesn't really help the situation at all. Who is the platoon partner for LaRoche? Who is the platoon partner for Ethier?

Shuck is the only guy they have who can play CF off of the bench. He can play all 3 OF positions. He will be on the opening day roster.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
This is a great point hitman. I was just looking at their '15 numbers...

Fowler vs RHP .228/ .331/ .395. Ethier vs RHP .306/ .383/ .517

If the Sox signed Fowler I wouldn't complain but at this point I would prefer Ethier as long as the trade is reasonable.

Garcia does hit LHP decently, slashing .293/.353/.407 in 2015. Ethier and Garcia could "platoon" in 2016 with Ethier getting the majority of the time. Would be a major upgrade to the lineup and Sox would keep that pick.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
Shuck is the only guy they have who can play CF off of the bench. He can play all 3 OF positions. He will be on the opening day roster.

This. He'd be taking LaRoche or Avi's spot. And Avi has an option left.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
This. He'd be taking LaRoche or Avi's spot. And Avi has an option left.

They could carry five OF's if they wanted. Assuming they break camp with 12 pitchers, Sox bench could be Garcia, Shuck, Sanchez, and Navarro. Sanchez can backup 3B/SS/2B and LaRoche would be the backup 1B.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)

Avi should be a LaRoche's platoon partner. If they acquire Ethier or another LH OF that can't hit LH pitching, they should get someone who mashes lefties. Sands comes to mind, but they aren't going to carry 6 outfielders, so something has to give (Cabrera, Eaton, Ethier (or other LH bat), Avi, Sands and Shuck). Either Avi is in AAA or Shuck/Sands is DFA in that scenario, but Shuck is the only guy that can really play CF, unless Leary finds his way on the roster.

Austin Jackson AND Ethier should would be nice.

vs. RHP:

LF: Cabrera

CF: Eaton

RF: Ethier

DH: LaRoche

vs. LHP

CF: Jackson

RF: Eaton

DH: Avi

Shuck is 5th OF and Sands is in AAA where he belongs. Probably a pipe dream, though.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
Garcia does hit LHP decently, slashing .293/.353/.407 in 2015. Ethier and Garcia could "platoon" in 2016 with Ethier getting the majority of the time. Would be a major upgrade to the lineup and Sox would keep that pick.

That could work and it keeps Avi's glove off the field on most days. I had what appeared to be a decent idea until I realized it required a five man bench and with Danks/ Johnson back to back at the back of the rotation the Sox will probably want the extra arm in the pen so that idea went down the s***ter quick. :lol:

Was thinking Ethier/Sands in RF, Shuck/Avi in LF, Melky DH and LaRoche on the bench. Then again, if LaRoche has a poor showing in ST...... :unsure:

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
I saw an interesting comment on MLBTradeRumors.

It said something along the lines of Danks and Putnam for Ethier and $10 million...then that $10 million could be used for Latos.

It probably isn't realistic, but I'd be ok if that sequence of moves happened.

They aren't going to take on Danks's full contract and send $10 million unless they get a lot better piece than Putnam back.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
Austin Jackson AND Ethier should would be nice.

vs. RHP:

CF: Eaton

RF: Ethier

DH: LaRoche

vs. LHP

CF: Jackson

RF: Eaton

DH: Avi

Shuck is 5th OF and Sands is in AAA where he belongs. Probably a pipe dream, though.

This is what I've been thinking lately too. Actually not that far-fetched, cost-wise. If the Dodgers pay half of Ethier's salary, that brings the Sox commitment to about $9 mil/year. Jackson earned $7.7 mil last year, and Scott Boras doesn't do pay cuts, so figure him for around $9 mil. That's about $18 mil total, which ls less than a Gordon/Cespedes salary they had the budget for. With platoons, we could expect similar overall production. This comes with the caveat that Ethier could be had relatively cheap — specifically less than or equal to the value of a comp pick.

Nobody has answered my question. Lets just pretend that we added Ethier to the team for a minor leaguer.

vs RHP

1. Eaton CF

2. Ethier RF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Cabrera LF

6. Lawrie 2B

7. LaRoche DH

8. Avila C

9. Saladino SS

vs LHP

1. Eaton CF

2. Cabrera DH

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Lawrie 2B

6. Garcia RF

7. Navarro C

8. Sands LF

9. Saladino SS

This team would have a bench of Sands, Catcher Spot, Sanchez, and Garcia. It doesn't work. One of Garcia or LaRoche has to magically go somewhere if they add Ethier and they'd need a RHH OF.

Assuming Ethier is acquired and Avi stays, what would the outfield situation look like on Opening Day?

Eaton, Ethier, Melky, Garcia, Shuck, and Sands would all be in the mix for a spot. They would never have all 6 of them on the roster at the same time. It'll only be 4 of them most likely and I don't know who would be left out. Sands and Shuck probably, but I don't know. What a fustercluck.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
Nobody has answered my question. Lets just pretend that we added Ethier to the team for a minor leaguer.

vs RHP

1. Eaton CF

2. Ethier RF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Cabrera LF

6. Lawrie 2B

7. LaRoche DH

8. Avila C

9. Saladino SS

vs LHP

1. Eaton CF

2. Cabrera DH

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Lawrie 2B

6. Garcia RF

7. Navarro C

8. Sands LF

9. Saladino SS

This team would have a bench of Sands, Catcher Spot, Sanchez, and Garcia. It doesn't work. One of Garcia or LaRoche has to magically go somewhere if they add Ethier and they'd need a RHH OF.

Probably need to replace sands with Shuck. Shuck can backup cf. Garcia would either be traded or most likely optioned since he has one option left. Might be more of leury Garcia since he can play some outfield along with infield but that kinda makes weak bench

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
Assuming Ethier is acquired and Avi stays, what would the outfield situation look like on Opening Day?

Eaton, Ethier, Melky, Garcia, Shuck, and Sands would all be in the mix for a spot. They would never have all 6 of them on the roster at the same time. It'll only be 4 of them most likely and I don't know who would be left out. Sands and Shuck probably, but I don't know. What a fustercluck.

Right now Shuck has to stay as 4th outfielder since he can back up cf. Ideally if the Sox were to aquire Ethier the best back up and platoon with him would have been Trayce but he's gone. Avi probably gets sent down if someone else gets acquired for outfield unless a miracle happens were they move Laroche and Avi maybe dhs