Sox should trade for Andre Ethier

shysocks

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
Nobody has answered my question. Lets just pretend that we added Ethier to the team for a minor leaguer.

vs RHP

1. Eaton CF

2. Ethier RF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Cabrera LF

6. Lawrie 2B

7. LaRoche DH

8. Avila C

9. Saladino SS

vs LHP

1. Eaton CF

2. Cabrera DH

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Lawrie 2B

6. Garcia RF

7. Navarro C

8. Sands LF

9. Saladino SS

This team would have a bench of Sands, Catcher Spot, Sanchez, and Garcia. It doesn't work. One of Garcia or LaRoche has to magically go somewhere if they add Ethier and they'd need a RHH OF.

Sands doesn't have a place on this team. Replace him with Shuck. Shuck actually has reverse splits for his career so he can play against LHP. Sanchez has actually hit LHP better too in his short career so you have the option of playing him with one of Frazier or Lawrie moving to DH for that game. Very few teams can put out a lineup of 9 good hitters. With the majority of our power coming from the right side we can afford to have a weak spot or two in the lineup vs LHP.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Probably need to replace sands with Shuck. Shuck can backup cf. Garcia would either be traded or most likely optioned since he has one option left. Might be more of leury Garcia since he can play some outfield along with infield but that kinda makes weak bench

Sands is really good vs LHP though. If Shuck is on that roster, who takes the place of LaRoche vs LHP? That's the problem.

Bench would be Sands/Garcia (take your pick), Catcher, Sanchez, Shuck.

v L:

2 Navarro

3 Abreu

4 Lawrie

5 Frazier

6 Saladino

7 Cabrera

8 Eaton

9 Shuck

D Sands/Garcia

v R:

2 Avila

3 Abreu

4 Lawrie

5 Frazier

6 Saladino

7 Cabrera

8 Eaton

9 Ethier

D LaRoche

Use Sanchez as necessary. Shuck is fine against lefties. This would work just fine.

Sands is really good vs LHP though. If Shuck is on that roster, who takes the place of LaRoche vs LHP? That's the problem.

I would do:

vs RHP

Eaton 8

Ethier 9

Abreu 3

Frazier 5

Melky 7

Laroche DH

Lawrie 4

Avila 2

Saladino 6

vs LHP

Eaton 9

Melky 7

Abreu 3

Frazier 5

Garcia DH

Lawrie 4

Navarro 2

Shuck 8

Saladino 6

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
For a guy who now supposedly doesn't provide enough from the left side, Fowler has a career .351 OBP left handed and a .761 OPS. And he can play against LHP. Fowler is the better option. I think they are using the press to try to get Fowler to sign.

Yes that's good for fowler but looking at career stats there's a nice difference vs RH pitching for the 2.

Fowler

.252, .351, .410, .761

Ethier

.308, .383, .507, .889

Even if the Sox signed Fowler, the outfield would be overcrowded.

Obviously him, Melky, and Eaton are guaranteed spots, but beyond that, you have Shuck, Avi, and Sands all fighting for the 4th outfielder role.

Personally, I'd like the Sox to sign Fowler. Then Fowler, Melky, Eaton, and Shuck would be the outfielders on the big league team and Avi and Sands would be in Charlotte to start the year.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)
Even if the Sox signed Fowler, the outfield would be overcrowded.

Obviously him, Melky, and Eaton are guaranteed spots, but beyond that, you have Shuck, Avi, and Sands all fighting for the 4th outfielder role.

Personally, I'd like the Sox to sign Fowler. Then Fowler, Melky, Eaton, and Shuck would be the outfielders on the big league team and Avi and Sands would be in Charlotte to start the year.

If the Sox signed Fowler, then maybe Shuck doesn't make the final roster, though I doubt it. Sands is on the outside looking in for an injury or something big happening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
If the Sox signed Fowler, then maybe Shuck doesn't make the final roster, though I doubt it. Sands is on the outside looking in for an injury or something big happening.

Agreed. Unless Sands absolutely RAKES in Spring Training, I'd have to guess that he's AAA fodder for now.

Fowler is just really appealing to me because he has a very good OBP and putting him behind Eaton and in front of Abreu could do wonders for the lineup as a whole.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
Agreed. Unless Sands absolutely RAKES in Spring Training, I'd have to guess that he's AAA fodder for now.

Fowler is just really appealing to me because he has a very good OBP and putting him behind Eaton and in front of Abreu could do wonders for the lineup as a whole.

Ethier would have the same effect though.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)

I would prefer Fowler too. But if Ethier represents the opportunity to dump LaRoche or Danks I keep dwelling on how could we make that happen. I realize LA has no baseball need for either of those two but is it possible a deal acknowledges that fact.

We receive Ethier and his $38M, LA receives LaRoche+Danks and their $29M + whatever mid-level prospect(s) that makes it worth their time to save $9M, de-clutter their OF, remove the 10/5 rights of Ethier from hanging over their head and provide them with a prospect or two that doesn't set us back terribly. This may be impossible but I'd love to know the LA price to take back both our 2016 contract problems.

That turns inefficient money into a 70% solution in RF where Ethier can platoon with Sands, Avi or maybe....

Step 2, Austin Jackson. Keep the picks, improve the D. He can play right or center, which vs. righties moves Eaton to LF and Melky to DH. A chain reaction that improves the OF in an affordable and realistic manner.

If we can make those two moves we are still under budget in 2016 from where we are today. Plenty to add Gallardo to replace Danks or if we are being cheap a couple Latos bounce back types.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)

Avi. RF is someone not currently on the roster (Ethier/Fowler/Jackson,etc.)

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
If that RF is Ethier, then someone needs to face LHP for him as well. That's my point.

You realize that there aren't a huge amount of LHP starters in the central and really not alot in al. There might be only 4 in central but most of them might not be fully starters. Hence the reason if true Sox are looking at LH bat.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
If that RF is Ethier, then someone needs to face LHP for him as well. That's my point.

I agree. That's why I brought up the Ethier AND Austin Jackson. Realistically, Shuck will probably get a fair amount of ABs against LHP if Ethier is acquired. Ethier and Jackson is a pipe dream, but man it looks good on paper.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)

Sands is also out of options. Sometimes that carries a little merit when making decisions even though it shouldn't. I almost wonder if the Sox would carry both Shuck and Sands and drop Olt. Sands can play 1B if needed, and I am sure they will try to get Sanchez time at 3B to make him a super-sub. Might even allow for Melky and Avi to play some DH (although I have no clue Sands defensive ability).

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
Sands is also out of options. Sometimes that carries a little merit when making decisions even though it shouldn't. I almost wonder if the Sox would carry both Shuck and Sands and drop Olt. Sands can play 1B if needed, and I am sure they will try to get Sanchez time at 3B to make him a super-sub. Might even allow for Melky and Avi to play some DH (although I have no clue Sands defensive ability).

Sanchez doesn't need to play 3B to be honest. He can play second and Lawrie and can backup 3B.