Sox should trade for Andre Ethier

shysocks

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
Sands is also out of options. Sometimes that carries a little merit when making decisions even though it shouldn't. I almost wonder if the Sox would carry both Shuck and Sands and drop Olt. Sands can play 1B if needed, and I am sure they will try to get Sanchez time at 3B to make him a super-sub. Might even allow for Melky and Avi to play some DH (although I have no clue Sands defensive ability).

They can't keep Sanchez, C, Garcia, Sands, and Shuck. They keep 4 bench players and go with 12 pitchers.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 05:38 PM)
They can't keep Sanchez, C, Garcia, Sands, and Shuck. They keep 4 bench players and go with 12 pitchers.

I didn't say anything about 5 bench players. Sanchez, Shuck, Sands, and Navarro. Are you referring to Leury? I doubt he makes the team due to his inability to hit.

Edit: Plus I want to say that I am not advocating carrying both Shuck and Sands, just nearly saying it could be an option.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
I agree. That's why I brought up the Ethier AND Austin Jackson. Realistically, Shuck will probably get a fair amount of ABs against LHP if Ethier is acquired. Ethier and Jackson is a pipe dream, but man it looks good on paper.

Ethier and Desmond would be my preferred route. Avi platoon with Eitheir. Saladino platoon with LaRoche, moving Abreu, Lawrie, or Frazier (or Desmond) to DH on that day.

Jon morosi on mlb network said he doesn't see the Sox getting ethier. Said he was the Dodgers best hitter after all star break and they may want to see him going forward. Tho that seems to be his opinion. Also said sox are more heavily involved in the free agent market with fowler and Desmond.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)
Jon morosi on mlb network said he doesn't see the Sox getting ethier. Said he was the Dodgers best hitter after all star break and they may want to see him going forward. Tho that seems to be his opinion. Also said sox are more heavily involved in the free agent market with fowler and Desmond.

Am I crazy or did you post this in three different threads.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)
Ethier and Desmond would be my preferred route. Avi platoon with Eitheir. Saladino platoon with LaRoche, moving Abreu, Lawrie, or Frazier (or Desmond) to DH on that day.

There is zero chance of that. The White Sox have no where near the resources to pull that off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
There is zero chance of that. The White Sox have no where near the resources to pull that off.

LOL - yeah, that shoe string budget that poor, 'ol Uncle Jer operates under. How he manages to make ends meet continues to impress!

If the Dodgers are/were willing to eat $5-7 million, they could arguably add both for $25-27.5 million or the price of Cespedes for one season.

That said, highly unlikely. Mainly because they are in the unusual position of counting on someone they couldn't dump even eating half his salary a year ago at this time.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)

Phil Rogers and Merkin have both said they don't want to give up any draft picks. Others have mentioned that they are involved on Desmond and Fowler. Hahn basically said they might forfeit the pick. The White Sox are trying to get Desmond or Fowler to sign for cheap in my opinion. Those guys don't have many suitors and they are waiting for a bigger deal than is available. Fowler has to crack eventually. The QO really sapped the value from these guys. They both should have accepted.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 07:26 AM)
Phil Rogers and Merkin have both said they don't want to give up any draft picks. Others have mentioned that they are involved on Desmond and Fowler. Hahn basically said they might forfeit the pick. The White Sox are trying to get Desmond or Fowler to sign for cheap in my opinion. Those guys don't have many suitors and they are waiting for a bigger deal than is available. Fowler has to crack eventually. The QO really sapped the value from these guys. They both should have accepted.

Yes, but we should hold our tongues before its official. Everyone we thought so far would sign for a discount did, but not near the level we anticipated.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
Yes, but we should hold our tongues before its official. Everyone we thought so far would sign for a discount did, but not near the level we anticipated.

Howie Kendrick fot 2 years a $20 million. That's a bargain. Fowler is looking at 3/30 at this point and I have no idea what Desmond's market is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)

The discounts have come in years, not really AAV, except for Gordon and Kendrick.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-top-50...nt-predictions/

Cespedes, Gordon, and Kendrick signed for well below the predictions. There's no question that the QO hurt Kendrick considerably.

At this point, I'd be very surprised to see Fowler and Desmond to get anywhere close to 4/56 and 5/85, at least in the years. AAV would probably only fall $1-2 million if it does.

I still think if fowler signs it will be closer to melky's deal. i don't think 3/30 will happen. If it does that is a tremendous deal, if it's less, its a steal. $10 million for an outfielder with a strength (obp) as good as his is pretty remarkable.

But, I think 3/44-45 is what we end up seeing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 05:10 PM)
I still think if fowler signs it will be closer to melky's deal. i don't think 3/30 will happen. If it does that is a tremendous deal, if it's less, its a steal. $10 million for an outfielder with a strength (obp) as good as his is pretty remarkable.

Agreed...to me, Sox should offer a 3 year, 42 million contract with opt-out after 2 years. 2016 be somewhere around 10, second year at 16.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
Agreed...to me, Sox should offer a 3 year, 42 million contract with opt-out after 2 years. 2016 be somewhere around 10, second year at 16.

I'm thinking the same as you guys. Fowler is probably using Melky's contract as a starting point.