Sox should trade for Andre Ethier

shysocks

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
What Rogers says makes sense and has been speculated all off season so he's really not reporting anything new. Until some rumors come out with regards to how much money the Dodgers are willing to eat for Ethier, I'll take this with a grain of salt. As for Crawford, good luck Dodgers, lol.

I hope the Dodgers would pay a bunch of salary, but I don't know why they'd need to. 2.9 WAR outfielder last year. Would that guy get 2 years and $36.5 million with no draft pick compensation? Cespedes remember is making $27.5 million this year.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
I hope the Dodgers would pay a bunch of salary, but I don't know why they'd need to. 2.9 WAR outfielder last year. Would that guy get 2 years and $36.5 million with no draft pick compensation? Cespedes remember is making $27.5 million this year.

I think with the outfielder salaries escalating this year, the value of Ethier's contract isn't as under water , so to speak, as it was this time last year. The Dodgers should include money but Ethier isn't a straight salary dump etheir. Just this fans humble opinion but I think Ethier is worth around 15M per year seeing as how a player like Melky is averaging 14M for his three year contract and Fowler is suspected to make around the same, possibly a touch more.

The thing is Ethier is basically a platoon player making $18M a year. It's the more useful side of the plate, but I do not think he'd get a deal like that on the open market. And again, if we're willing to take the whole contract, the price in prospects should theoretically be negligible. Call it the Alex Rios / Leury Garcia corollary.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
The thing is Ethier is basically a platoon player making $18M a year. It's the more useful side of the plate, but I do not think he'd get a deal like that on the open market. And again, if we're willing to take the whole contract, the price in prospects should theoretically be negligible. Call it the Alex Rios / Leury Garcia corollary.

Yes, I agree with all of that. He isn't THAT overpaid and the more they pay, the more they'd get back in prospects. I wouldn't want to give up anyone better than Danish.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
Yes, I agree with all of that. He isn't THAT overpaid and the more they pay, the more they'd get back in prospects. I wouldn't want to give up anyone better than Danish.

Otoh, they can just argue that WAR is worth roughly $7 million on the open market and he more than earned his contract last year, despite his lack of ability to hit against lefties.

Of course, just like with Kendrick, who had a 5.4 and then 1.1 over the last two years, because of his age and inconsistency, he's probably valued closer to a 1.5-2.25 WAR guy by other teams (especially in the AL)...who will counter that's a lot to play someone who doesn't play everyday and isn't going to be confused with a Gold Glover candidate, either.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)

Danish is too much for Ethier. Dodgers need to make this move. Give them LaRoach Clip. Good move for both teams.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
Danish is too much for Ethier. Dodgers need to make this move. Give them LaRoach Clip. Good move for both teams.

If he's not worth paying $5.5 million to the Pirates, forcing them to take LaRoche would mean MORE of our prospects would be out the door.

Not even sure what the Dodgers would want, other than the obvious names.

And then we'd need to turn around and spend that money on a DH unless you trust Avi Garcia in that role. Maybe Alvarez would make sense, but it's almost impossible to imagine the Dodgers taking LaRoche back until he proves he hasn't completely lost it in the regular season.

Edited by caulfield12

It all depends on what money they are picking up. If they were to take LaRoche, we'd probably have to send a prospect or two. If we took most of the contract it would be a different story.

Trading Ethier isn’t as simple as trading a productive outfielder usually is given his contract. Earlier this offseason, Ken Rosenthal wrote that the Dodgers would be willing to kick cash into an Ethier or Crawford trade, potentially maximizing the return. Even if they pay more than half of the remaining contract, the return probably won’t be anything special. However, if the Dodgers can get a solid prospect or a decent reliever for either of them, it would be hard to say no.

http://dodgersway.com/2016/02/01/dodgers-a...trade-interest/

If the Dodgers are interested in parting ways with Ethier in order to clear up the long-standing logjam in their outfield, now would be the time to do so.

Once the season begins, Ethier's 10-5 trade rights for having been a major-league for 10 years and spending five consecutive years with the same team will kick in, which will allow him veto power on any potential deals the Dodgers construct to trade him.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/andre-e...ot-stove-020116

I'd be willing to give up a " decent reliever " for Ethier.

The Dodgers dont have to make any move when it comes to moving money.

Edited by Rowand44

So hypothetically we were to actually trade for Ethier, how realistic is it for him to get 1,100 AB's in 2 years if we don't let him hit against lefties? That vesting option is scary, it would suck being in a stretch playoff run in '17 and having to worry about that $17.5M option vesting with too many AB's

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
So hypothetically we were to actually trade for Ethier, how realistic is it for him to get 1,100 AB's in 2 years if we don't let him hit against lefties? That vesting option is scary, it would suck being in a stretch playoff run in '17 and having to worry about that $17.5M option vesting with too many AB's

Unrealistic. Abreu has had 1169 to date. Unless The Sox are playing Either everyday (which I highly doubt is the case) Either would need to be slotted in the 3-4 spot in the lineup.

I wouldn't worry about the vesting option at all. Last season Ethier had 445 PA total with 48 of those PA against lefties. If the Sox primarily bat him against RHP like the Dodgers did, there's really no chance he gets the 1100 PA.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
I'd offer Putnam and LaRoche for Ethier and 0 money. You take a little hit salary-wise, but you put Avi in left and Ethier in right and the outfield D looks way better. Ethier sits against LHP and you find a righty DH/OF candidate for the bench.

What happened to Cabrera?

You're going to leave Avi playing the field to DH Cabrera?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
What happened to Cabrera?

You're going to leave Avi playing the field to DH Cabrera?

Yes. Avi has a beast arm and maybe playing left would be a little better than right since the ball is getting pulled and going to one general area instead of slicing away in right which he just can not figure the f*** out. Cabrera sucks in left because he is old and slow, can't work on that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
I wouldn't worry about the vesting option at all. Last season Ethier had 445 PA total with 48 of those PA against lefties. If the Sox primarily bat him against RHP like the Dodgers did, there's really no chance he gets the 1100 PA.

They also had a deep OF of Crawford Pederson Puig Van Slyke and Ethier.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)

He has also been playing on a team that has 4 to 5 starting OF's, which the Sox do not.

As others have said, 1100 PA's seem unlikely as long as we're minimizing his work against lefties. On the other hand, if you're telling today me that in two years Ethier will be a key figure in a Sox playoff run but his option might vest, I'm okay with that scenario. :)

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
I'd offer Putnam and LaRoche for Ethier and 0 money. You take a little hit salary-wise, but you put Avi in left and Ethier in right and the outfield D looks way better. Ethier sits against LHP and you find a righty DH/OF candidate for the bench.

Hadn't thought about throwing in a major league piece with LaRoche, but Putnam is the type of intriguing guy who might make it work. Good to have in the Sox bullpen, but still relatively expendable and the Dodgers could use MLB relievers right now. Dumping LaRoche's money might give us some room for another acquisition, whereas I was assuming if we just took all of Ethier's deal that would close out the offseason.

The Dodgers just don't have a place for LaRoche though, that's the hangup.