Sox should trade for Andre Ethier

shysocks

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Whatever happened to the "we are going to add younger, more cost controlled players to the roster" plan? How does an Andre Ethier square up with that vision?

Not too much differently than Cespedes, and you seemed to have a big problem with the Sox not offering Cespedes whatever it took, which would have been not younger and not cost controlled.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Whatever happened to the "we are going to add younger, more cost controlled players to the roster" plan? How does an Andre Ethier square up with that vision?

Frazier and Lawrie are younger and cost controlled. Ethier doesn't square up, but he does fill a glaring need. From my first post in this thread:

If we supposedly had the money to chase Gordon and Cespedes but were concerned about the length of their deals, well here's a pretty friggin' good alternative.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 06:25 AM)
They also had a deep OF of Crawford Pederson Puig Van Slyke and Ethier.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
He has also been playing on a team that has 4 to 5 starting OF's, which the Sox do not.

Going by Hahn's comments, they plan to give Avi (RHB) another chance this year in some capacity. The Sox could also use Sands (RHB) as a potential platoon partner. Ehier doesnt hit well against lefties so I doubt he gets too many at bats against them.

Ethier is the best option but he won't cost a pick and won't cost much in a trade, just money for the next two years. There are other outfielders I'd rather have than Ethier but there are plenty of others I'd rather not have too.

This is a hard one to hypothesize on, not knowing how little we give up at full value vs if they eat some cost and expect a better prospect.

I also don't feel like the dodgers feel at all like they need to "give away" ethier for cash.

Edited by bmags

This is where the debate begins again on a "long-term sustainable window" versus a more abbreviated window requiring restocking of at least 4-5 positions simultaneously before 2018...

We can handle 3, but anything above and beyond that's really pushing it without increasing our revenues...which means it makes sense based largely on the premise of getting extended contending runs and at least one playoff team over the next two seasons.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
This is a hard one to hypothesize on, not knowing how little we give up at full value vs if they eat some cost and expect a better prospect.

I also feel like the dodgers feel at all like they need to "give away" ethier for cash.

Yeah the Dodgers would rather eat money and get a better player if you look at their spending habits.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
Yeah the Dodgers would rather eat money and get a better player if you look at their spending habits.

You and others who've pointed this out are probably right, but the Dodgers also have to worry about a lot of outfielders who need playing time and Ethier's pending 10-and-5 status. They might not get to deal on their terms.

Ethier's age and his 2014 performance still make him a huge risk. I don't think any team is going to do the Dodgers any favors and give them a sure fire player in return, no matter how much money is eaten. They are up against a wall. A ton of OF, a guy close to 5/10 which means if they want to get rid of him then, it will cost more. They always want something to waive a no trade, and his age.

The guy could be perfect for 2 years, he could be awful. If I was Hahn, I wouldn't do it unless they took LaRoche back, and no other decent players, and maybe a little stipend for 2017. Let them do what they have to with LaRoche.

Sorry - forgot about 5/10. That is bit of incentive they may need.

Yeah, I just don't know what to think here. Everything about it screams bad idea, but I think he could be one of those players that is very productive late in career as a DH.

Also just think he'd be badass in a sox uniform.

QUOTE (Finkelstein @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
LaRoche and Putnam for Ethier and 2.5M (covers the 2018 buyout).

Why does everyone keep trying to give them Laroche. They absolutely have no need or room for him. You might have been more likely with Danks before the Dodgers went on a bringing in a ton of pitching but probably not now. Most likely you are probably taking about a bullpen arm at this point for Ethier.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
Why does everyone keep trying to give them Laroche. They absolutely have no need or room for him. You might have been more likely with Danks before the Dodgers went on a bringing in a ton of pitching but probably not now. Most likely you are probably taking about a bullpen arm at this point for Ethier.

It's for the cost, and it opens up a roster spot. Like it or not, the White Sox need Danks. It's another way to throw cash the White Sox way. The Dodgers could just waive LaRoche.

With Ethier turning 34 its like the perfect age for steep decline in production right? How many guys have their better years of their career post 33? Other than the PED users of the past.

I seriously dont know. Maybe there are guys who have great numbers after 34+.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
With Ethier turning 34 its like the perfect age for steep decline in production right? How many guys have their better years of their career post 33? Other than the PED users of the past.

There aren't too many, that's for sure. But beggars can't be choosers.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)

I will say that against righties last year, it is uncanny how closely he matched his career splits. That is evidence that he is fighting off age for now. But unfortunately you really never know.

It is a major factor in keeping the cost of a trade down.

Like bmags said, this has bad idea written all over it.

IMO what is sad is that the Sox should have done a complete overhaul this off season and started from scratch and I think it would have been a better PR move than what they have done so far. This team and its direction leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I like Hahn, I think he is a really smart baseball guy but I feel like he has been mentored by KW for so many years so he will have the same tendencies as KW had. Plus I think Hahn is moved by a lot of his decisions with a sprinkle of a KW influence.

I hope things turn around, but damn. I do not like that this team is going to be a day late and a dollar short in every aspect of the team. The starting staff is great for the top three and but the last two slots are question marks. The bullpen I think is going to be a great strength however bullpens are the one thing that is fickle from year to year. Its hard to judge. The offense has some really nice pieces but its not solid from top to bottom, it just isnt. Teams with championship expectations have far less question marks than what the Sox are looking at and no one gives you the feeling in the FO that they have a true vision of exactly their what they want to do. They are doing a lot on the fly here, so it seems.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)

IMO what is sad is that the Sox should have done a complete overhaul this off season and started from scratch and I think it would have been a better PR move than what they have done so far. This team and its direction leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I like Hahn, I think he is a really smart baseball guy but I feel like he has been mentored by KW for so many years so he will have the same tendencies as KW had. Plus I think Hahn is moved by a lot of his decisions with a sprinkle of a KW influence.

I hope things turn around, but damn. I do not like that this team is going to be a day late and a dollar short in every aspect of the team. The starting staff is great for the top three and but the last two slots are question marks. The bullpen I think is going to be a great strength however bullpens are the one thing that is fickle from year to year. Its hard to judge. The offense has some really nice pieces but its not solid from top to bottom, it just isnt. Teams with championship expectations have far less question marks than what the Sox are looking at and no one gives you the feeling in the FO that they have a true vision of exactly their what they want to do. They are doing a lot on the fly here, so it seems.

If we get a Fowler/Ethier, we have no fewer question marks than every other team in our division.

The Dodgers are pretty clearly prioritizing depth and have yet to indicate they care about their payroll levels at all. They've got surplus OF, IF, and SP.

I don't think they're worried about Ethier's playing time, and I don't think they're too desperate to rid themselves of his contract. I'd be shocked if he weren't available, but I'm betting that it'll either cost us a decent prospect or to take the entirety of the contract off their hands. Otherwise, they'll just keep him and have a good platoon piece.

Given that, Fowler is younger, less injury prone, and the cost of a comp-round pick is probably similar to what Ethier would draw anyway.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
The Dodgers are pretty clearly prioritizing depth and have yet to indicate they care about their payroll levels at all. They've got surplus OF, IF, and SP.

I don't think they're worried about Ethier's playing time, and I don't think they're too desperate to rid themselves of his contract. I'd be shocked if he weren't available, but I'm betting that it'll either cost us a decent prospect or to take the entirety of the contract off their hands. Otherwise, they'll just keep him and have a good platoon piece.

Given that, Fowler is younger, less injury prone, and the cost of a comp-round pick is probably similar to what Ethier would draw anyway.

I think they are starting to care about their payroll, or there really wouldn't be a reason to let Greinke walk.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)

I'm with you but I think Rick is torn by the same things fans are: what do you do with a couple of studs like Sale and Abreu who are in the prime of their career? Do you build around them? Do you jettison them for prospects and do a true re-build? Or do you try to add a few pieces and hope you have one of those years?

The hope I'm hanging on to is the universals consensus that came out of the clubhouse last season, ie, this team wanted another chance to prove itself. Not saying they deserved that at all but I do like that mentality. LaRoche and others know they seriously underachieved. I don't think they have the talent on paper to compete with a really solid division but maybe a chip on the shoulder can make some things happen.