Sox should trade for Andre Ethier

shysocks

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 07:05 PM)
Phil Rogers is really riding this Ethier thing. Was on the MLB Network earlier. Also named Fowler as an FA option & Desmond Jennings & Jay Bruce as top trade options.

An Ethier trade makes a lot of sense for both teams. However, given his age and potential regression, the Dodgers would have to be willing to eat some serious dollars and take back a less than ideal return.

I think the real question for the Sox is how do they handle both Ethier & LaRoche in the same lineup. Both guys are legit platoon players and I'm not sure how we'll fit two right-handed bats on the bench that can fill in for those guys and do so productively. Ethier makes a lot less sense if you're forced to play him or LaRoche against LHP too frequently.

From what they were saying on MLB Network, the more $ the Dodgers eat, the higher prospect the Sox would need to give up. Ethier's age is my main issue.

Seems somewhat counterproductive to trade anything of worth for a guy like Ethier at 33.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
Hilarious.

Despite the Sox stellar record the past few years, they have decided they cannot wait to see if they can develop these players while other teams can. Do you know what happens when a Marcus Semien is a starting caliber 2nd baseman? That's one player you don't need to trade for, OR you can use those prospects you traded for Lawrie to add a different player you want to cover the other positions of need.

I liked Semien and wish we still had him, and I understand your point, but I think overall the Sox have been too patient rather than not patient enough. Beckham and Viciedo were given too long of a rope (perhaps Flowers as well), and if they don't upgrade in RF it looks like they'll have done the same with Avi. There's something to be said for knowing when to cut ties with a player. Also not sure what Erwin and Wendelken would have brought to upgrade another position of need, Lawrie was acquired for almost nothing. Two guys not even in the Top 15 prospects of a bottom third farm system don't exactly have much value.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
But of course, that silly notion pretends like "drafting high" is the only thing you do when you're rebuilding. Other things include "Trading to acquire talent" and "playing guys who have struggled but have talent and letting them work through their struggles", and sometimes "taking on guys other teams are willing to sell for a pittance because they believe they're competitive and you have playing time to give them". All of which are valid strategies that have been employed by the teams you cite, and none of which can be employed by a team that gets impatient and insists "We'll be right there at the end!"

Not quite. The main reason that Dayton Moore thing is true is because they drafted Alex Gordon the year before he got there. Gordon didn't establish himself as excellent until he was 27. He's at 31 WAR. He was a the #2 pick. Moustakas was a number 2 pick and they don't make the World Series until he finally starts hitting in the playoffs and then has his first good season in 2015. They have Lorenzo Cain because they traded Zach Greinke (#6 pick in 2002, 51 WAR) to the Brewers. Eric Hosmer was a #3 pick. Cain, Gordon, Hosmer, Moustakas. Those are the reason why the Royals are good. 4 homegrown top draft picks for cheap who panned out a the same time.

Unless Montas really upgrades his conditioning, he will end up in the bullpen. He and Semien are the biggest losses so far.

That still has a lot of value these days with all the emphasis on the back end of games and pitchers only seeing a lineup twice, there's no guarantee he puts up a 6 war for the Dodgers like Frazier will likely do for the Sox...and every year a new starting pitcher seems to emerge out of relative obscurity in our system to compensate, like a Jordan Stephens or Guerrero.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 08:47 PM)
LaRoche and Danish for Ethier with the Sox taking on his entire salary.

Do you guys think that would get a deal done?

If the Dodgers had a use for him. They already have about 4-5 players they can't give regular at-bats to...and a ton of minor league pitching depth.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:28 PM)
Leury Garcia? What would they do with him? Either Garcia, for that matter.

The same thing the Sox would do with him; the same thing the other 28 would do. The same thing the old "bag of balls" would do.

Point is, you acquire Ethier as a salary dump, or you don't acquire. You can't give real talent for him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 08:51 PM)
If the Dodgers had a use for him. They already have about 4-5 players they can't give regular at-bats to...and a ton of minor league pitching depth.

Agreed. If I were the Dodgers, I'd rather keep Ethier than trade him for LaRoche and Danish.

I think a trade that could work for both teams would be Ethier + 6.5M in exchange for a Sox reliever.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 06:48 AM)
Agreed. If I were the Dodgers, I'd rather keep Ethier than trade him for LaRoche and Danish.

I think a trade that could work for both teams would be Ethier + 6.5M in exchange for a Sox reliever.

I agree. If a trade were to happen, it would probably be one of those trades that Dodgers fans would think is terrible because they'd only see a reliever coming back for a fan favorite. But with their overabundance of outfielders who are owed significant amounts of money, the Dodgers would be looking to thin the herd, get a decent reliever in return, and save a bit of money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
The question for me is clear. Is the Eithier reporting an effort to get Fowler to push his price down, or are the Sox serious about trying to get Ethier.

I think the Sox are serious about both Ethier and Fowler. Both options have some pros and cons so, to me, its a matter of which option makes itself available to the Sox first and that's what the Sox will go with.

Edited by BlackSox13

I'd prefer Ethier because of the lack of LH starting pitching in the Sox division. I've also been on record as wanting to keep the comp pick. That being said, I'm not sure how the roster shakes out with Ethier on it. You'd essentially need a RHH platoon partner for LaRoche and Ethier. Garcia could be the platoon bat for Ethier. Sands could be for LaRoche. You'd have nobody that plays CF on the bench though. I'm interested to see what happens.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
I'd prefer Ethier because of the lack of LH starting pitching in the Sox division. I've also been on record as wanting to keep the comp pick. That being said, I'm not sure how the roster shakes out with Ethier on it. You'd essentially need a RHH platoon partner for LaRoche and Ethier. Garcia could be the platoon bat for Ethier. Sands could be for LaRoche. You'd have nobody that plays CF on the bench though. I'm interested to see what happens.

Shuck is on the bench for sure as the 4th OF and back up CF. It is the 5th spot that is open. If it were me if Garcia isn't starting, I'd option him to AAA and let him play every day.