Ventura: "White Sox have potential to be dangerous"

caulfield12

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's SoxFest time...

Granted, if he guaranteed we were going to make the playoffs (eg. "I will resign if we don't!" or "I will work for free/refund my salary if we finish below .500 again") or be in the race until the last week of the season, etc., that's pretty much a no-win statement from his standpoint.

Otoh, every team in the American League could pretty much make the same exact statement as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 03:27 AM)
I see nothing wrong with what he said

well to me, i see it as spin doctoring it, sox as the underdogs, offense if they score .... blah blah.

of course anyone can say if their team can score, it might mean a different story.

but this is the AL Central. the toughest division in the american league, the top 3 of the league can be anyone of of det, cle, kc. and i am looking at the sox, if nothing else being done, #4 in that division.

cle imo will be the surprise team of the AL.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 09:20 PM)

He said that he likes the pitching and IF the can score runs and IF they catch the ball they could be dangerous.

I think he is dead on balls accurate. (It's an industry term)

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
He said that he likes the pitching and IF the can score runs and IF they catch the ball they could be dangerous.

I think he is dead on balls accurate. (It's an industry term)

It would be a little more comforting if he said something like "I don't care about exactly how many runs we score, the offense will take care of itself, but we're going to play the game the right way and we're going to do whatever it takes from now through spring training to make sure this team is 100% ready to play defensively from Opening Day. We can't control the weather conditions in Chicago in April and May, but we can control our defensive efficiency, especially our decision-making."

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 09:40 PM)
They are giving us hope by not coming out and saying the roster is set

Well he did acknowledge that Hahn is trying to upgrade still...we'll find out more this weekend on this front.

But I'm sure Robin knows...he's probably on the hottest seat in MLB right now. They have to come out the gate winning. Hell even after a week of not winning people will be moaning and groaning.

Edited by Baron

I like Robin when I see him on tape like this and hear him speak. Maybe somebody should provide a link after every game to his postgame comments. When you hear him talk about and explain s***, he comes across as a likeable, intelligent manager.

What I'm trying to say is I'd be less apt to rip him and think him a clown if I actually watched and heard his postgame explanations like most of you do living in Chicago.

I agree with RV and have no problem with what he said. Frazier is a huge upgrade at 3B, Lawrie's bat is a sizeable upgrade at 2B with nice power potential and Avila/Navarro are sizeable upgrades at catcher. 3B and Catcher got better defensively and while I don't expect Lawrie to be as slick as Sanchez with the glove at 2B but Lawrie's arm is a big upgrade to that position. Saladino should be a defensive upgrade at SS so the infield overall should much improved defensively and in the batting lineup as well.

All I'm saying is that the Sox look much better now than they did at seasons end. Unless of course fans prefered to go with revolving doors at 3B and 2B with Flowers at catcher and an aging/declining Alexei at SS.

You could also look at the facts that it might be impossible for LaRoche to be any worse than he was last year, that Melky should be better, that Rodon can and should continue to improve, that we won't have Samardzija stinking up the place every fifth day, that we will hopefully have both Nate Jones and Albers for the full season, that we have almost no one who might regress, and there is indeed hope ... at least for now.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 10:04 PM)
You could also look at the facts that it might be impossible for LaRoche to be any worse than he was last year, that Melky should be better, that Rodon can and should continue to improve, that we won't have Samardzija stinking up the place every fifth day, that we will hopefully have both Nate Jones and Albers for the full season, that we have almost no one who might regress, and there is indeed hope ... at least for now.

Goods points and could not agree with you more. Too many fans are focused on what did not or has not happened yet instead taking a few steps back to see what has actually been accomplished so far. The Sox are in a much better place than they were at seasons end.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 10:54 PM)
I agree with RV and have no problem with what he said. Frazier is a huge upgrade at 3B, Lawrie's bat is a sizeable upgrade at 2B with nice power potential and Avila/Navarro are sizeable upgrades at catcher. 3B and Catcher got better defensively and while I don't expect Lawrie to be as slick as Sanchez with the glove at 2B but Lawrie's arm is a big upgrade to that position. Saladino should be a defensive upgrade at SS so the infield overall should much improved defensively and in the batting lineup as well.

All I'm saying is that the Sox look much better now than they did at seasons end. Unless of course fans prefered to go with revolving doors at 3B and 2B with Flowers at catcher and an aging/declining Alexei at SS.

Which shows you just how bad we were at season's end, because we are still below average at four of nine positions in the potential starting line-up with Garcia, Cabrera, LaRoche and Salidino in starting positions.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 10:34 PM)
Which shows you just how bad we were at season's end, because we are still below average at four of nine positions in the potential starting line-up with Garcia, Cabrera, LaRoche and Salidino in starting positions.

Ya man, doubt they were at seasons end. I think Saladino gets a pass due to his youth and defense.

I know I'll come across as a FO sympathiser but there really was just too many positions to fill for one off season. To be honest, I think they did better than I anticipated. Didn't expect upgrades as good as Frazier and Lawrie. I admit, I had low expectations.

Edited by BlackSox13

There's no doubt that the Sox have the potential to be dangerous. Things have to go right, and players have to perform. And if another outfielder isn't added, even more things will have to happen. Certainly, this is what will have to happen:

- Abreu, Sale, and Quintana will have to repeat 2015, if not get better

- LaRoche will have to recover to near his career norms

- Garcia must improve greatly, offensively and defensively

- Frazier will have to be the guy he was the first part of 2015

- Lawrie must NOT be Beckham part 2

- Navarro and Avila will need to an effective platoon

And the list goes on. But if LaRoche can get back to .240+ with 20+ HRs, that changes things greatly. I have more faith that he can do that than I do in Garcia being effective. There's no doubt the Sox have wanted to replace him as they were in on Cespedes and Gordon. It will be a disappointment if they don't continue to pursue other avenues to do so, but if Garcia ends up being the starter on opening day he's going to be under a ton of scrutiny.

Yes, the Sox have the potential to be dangerous, but they had the potential to be dangerous last year, too. We all saw how that worked out.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 06:09 AM)
There's no doubt that the Sox have the potential to be dangerous. Things have to go right, and players have to perform. And if another outfielder isn't added, even more things will have to happen. Certainly, this is what will have to happen:

- Abreu, Sale, and Quintana will have to repeat 2015, if not get better

- LaRoche will have to recover to near his career norms

- Garcia must improve greatly, offensively and defensively

- Frazier will have to be the guy he was the first part of 2015

- Lawrie must NOT be Beckham part 2

- Navarro and Avila will need to an effective platoon

And the list goes on. But if LaRoche can get back to .240+ with 20+ HRs, that changes things greatly. I have more faith that he can do that than I do in Garcia being effective. There's no doubt the Sox have wanted to replace him as they were in on Cespedes and Gordon. It will be a disappointment if they don't continue to pursue other avenues to do so, but if Garcia ends up being the starter on opening day he's going to be under a ton of scrutiny.

Yes, the Sox have the potential to be dangerous, but they had the potential to be dangerous last year, too. We all saw how that worked out.

Not to mention Saladino and Erik Johnson have to be better than replacement level...

Right now, Lawrie's starting around 22nd in the 2b rankings. He needs to be 13-17. And the defensive chemistry between him and Tyler is critical to establish from the beginning of spring training, not just the last couple of weeks after all the roster cuts. They know what Sanchez can and can't do already, same with Leury Garcia.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 06:28 AM)
Not to mention Saladino and Erik Johnson have to be better than replacement level...

Right now, Lawrie's starting around 22nd in the 2b rankings. He needs to be 13-17. And the defensive chemistry between him and Tyler is critical to establish from the beginning of spring training, not just the last couple of weeks after all the roster cuts. They know what Sanchez can and can't do already, same with Leury Garcia.

I think Saladino will easily be better than replacement level with defense alone.