Mark Buehrle

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
While I completely agree with you on the moves theyve made so far this offseason, RF is just such a glaring hole right now and it's pretty inexcusable to have not addressed it already. Even if they do roll out with Avi as the starter, not having insurance if he fails is a massive failure on their part. Now, if you go pick up Austin Jackson, Im pretty good with this offseason. If you are going to try selling me on Avi again though, I've already seen that song and dance from the Sox. I think tomorrows town hall with Rick is going to be very tense. Partly sad I'm not going to witness it, but happy I'm not going to waste my time listening to his stock answers.

They've obviously explored replacing Garcia though. I don't think they are going into the season thinking that they are totally set in RF otherwise they wouldn't have been interested in Cespedes/Gordon. They have multiple agendas though which has always been the problem. They'd like to upgrade but also want to keep their draft picks. They'd like to upgrade but they won't and shouldn't trade Fulmer/Adams/Anderson. It's just a tough spot. Their system isn't good enough to keep trading guys from it and they are 16th in payroll and haven't really shown that they want to be much higher. I'd like Jackson as well but Boras is going to hold out for the best deal possible. Not sure what happens but I do believe that they are exploring ways to improve more.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
They've obviously explored replacing Garcia though. I don't think they are going into the season thinking that they are totally set in RF otherwise they wouldn't have been interested in Cespedes/Gordon. They have multiple agendas though which has always been the problem. They'd like to upgrade but also want to keep their draft picks. They'd like to upgrade but they won't and shouldn't trade Fulmer/Adams/Anderson. It's just a tough spot. Their system isn't good enough to keep trading guys from it and they are 16th in payroll and haven't really shown that they want to be much higher. I'd like Jackson as well but Boras is going to hold out for the best deal possible. Not sure what happens but I do believe that they are exploring ways to improve more.

Right, and they have no one to blame but themselves for that. The way to fix it is spend, whether it's in FA or J2. They do neither. Fans will be tense because it seems like the FO really doesnt have a direction and that's what's really frustrating.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
Buehrle's easily one of my favorite players ever, but I hope this is to announce he's retiring.

While I trust he wouldn't go out there if he was going to embarrass himself, if he hasn't been working out, and the shoulder hasn't been examined backwards and forwards, I agree. I really don't want to see Buerhle getting lit up onto the waiver wire.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
It wasn't an unsuccessful offseason just because Gordon and Cespedes went back to their teams though. I really don't think it'll be a tense environment at SoxFest. I'm not positive that they're done adding from the way they are talking and this team is much improved from a year ago.

My issue with this off-season is they got Lawire who would play third, then they got Frazier who moves Lawrie to second.

If the plan was to upgrade third and second without addressing RF, the offseason is a failure.

The defense was atrocious last year. Frazier is up grade, Lawrie is a downgrade and the worst defender is still in RF.

Lawire move kind of gets me as those players traded could have been used to upgrade RF. Sanchez and a new RF is an upgrade over Lawrie and Garcia.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
My issue with this off-season is they got Lawire who would play third, then they got Frazier who moves Lawrie to second.

If the plan was to upgrade third and second without addressing RF, the offseason is a failure.

The defense was atrocious last year. Frazier is up grade, Lawrie is a downgrade and the worst defender is still in RF.

Lawire move kind of gets me as those players traded could have been used to upgrade RF. Sanchez and a new RF is an upgrade over Lawrie and Garcia.

I disagree that Lawrie isn't an upgrade. They wanted to fix the offense. He's a worse defender than Sanchez but he's a better offensive player.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
I disagree that Lawrie isn't an upgrade. They wanted to fix the offense. He's a worse defender than Sanchez but he's a better offensive player.

Yep and Lawrie has a stronger arm than Sanchez which should come in handy turning double plays.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)

Sanchez didn't play 2B all year though. Johnson played for a while too.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
Yes, and his stats in that limited sample size were horrific. I'm not counting that either way.

That's the thing, its a limited sample size so lets see what he can do playing 2B everyday instead of bouncing him around like Oakland did. I will say that Lawrie does grade much better defensively at 3B but that's also where he has the most experience. Personally, I'd rather have Lawrie at 3B but Frazier is there so the only other place for Lawrie is 2B.

RV did say that he likes Lawrie's versatility and could spell Frazier at 3B with Frazier at DH for rest which puts Sanchez at second in those games. I don't like the idea of bouncing a guy around but I'm not the manager either.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
That's the thing, its a limited sample size so lets see what he can do playing 2B everyday instead of bouncing him around like Oakland did. I will say that Lawrie does grade much better defensively at 3B but that's also where he has the most experience. Personally, I'd rather have Lawrie at 3B but Frazier is there so the only other place for Lawrie is 2B.

RV did say that he likes Lawrie's versatility and could spell Frazier at 3B with Frazier at DH for rest which puts Sanchez at second in those games. I don't like the idea of bouncing a guy around but I'm not the manager either.

FWIW, back when the Sox acquired Lawrie, the Oakland beat writer was on the score and said that Lawrie's best position, in her opinion, is second base and that he can play it well if he is not moved around like he was in Oakland.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
FWIW, back when the Sox acquired Lawrie, the Oakland beat writer was on the score and said that Lawrie's best position, in her opinion, is second base and that he can play it well if he is not moved around like he was in Oakland.

I remember that. Wasn't it Slusser who said it?

I'll say this, I hope Buehrle is there and I hope he is signing a 1 year deal to pitch for the Sox. If he is going to retire, than I obviously want him to sign but I'm greedy and think he still has more solid baseball left and I'd love it to happen with the Sox.

Rotate Danks and Buehrle. Have one of them pitch every three or four days. A quasi six man rotation.

One can be a leftie out of the pen.

Throw Johnson agaisnt teams that hit soft tossing lefties well and then you cna pair them up agsint he Royals and teams taht don't hit soft tossing lefties.

Roll Quintana and Sale every fifthe day and you can skip Rodon a time a or two.

There done.

In reagrd to my other post.

In Lawrie the Sox gave up defense for offense, something I am not certain is a good idea.