Orioles DO NOT Sign Fowler

southsider2k5

Per Buster Onley: The Orioles have interest in Dexter Fowler in the range of Howie Kendrick's deal with the Dodgers -- 2 years, $20 million.

Sure seems like market is heating up a bit for Fowler. Been a few things mentioned on him in the past few days.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
If he signs for anywhere close to that, and it's not with the Sox, it's a failure. At that cost, I don't want to hear a thing about the draft pick. It's one pick.

Those clamoring about the pick and mention Spencer Adams. Keon Barnum was picked around the same time Adams was too.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
100 percent agree.

Frankly, I'm just trying to figure out what the FO is doing...

They've got this far, why not make the extra step to fill another hole with a high OBP guy w/ speed & see where that gets them?

Frustrating.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 12:40 AM)
I just hate that Fowler doesn't do anything to improve the OF defense. If he were a good defender, I'd be fine with it.

Remember when Hahn said any addition would have to be a good fit? Absolutely thought at the time he meant that Fowler wouldn't help the defense.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 05:40 PM)
I just hate that Fowler doesn't do anything to improve the OF defense. If he were a good defender, I'd be fine with it.

But he does. He might not be the best defender in the world but he's 8 billion times better than Avi.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
But he does. He might not be the best defender in the world but he's 8 billion times better than Avi.

Technically if your comparing what he did in CF and what Avi did in RF that's not the case. He was actually worse in CF than Avi was in RF. He actually gave up more runs by throwing mistakes. Avi was in the positive in that case.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
Still think the Sox are higher on Desmond than Fowler based on all sorts of comments from SoxFest.

The market played out so well for a potential steal combo of Desmond and Jackson, I can't believe the Sox haven't already jumped at the opportunity. That lineup would be pretty sweet:

Eaton RF

Cabrera LF

Abreu 1B

Frazier 3B

LaRoche DH

Desmond SS

Lawrie 2B

Avila C

Jackson CF

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
The market played out so well for a potential steal combo of Desmond and Jackson, I can't believe the Sox haven't already jumped at the opportunity. That lineup would be pretty sweet:

Eaton RF

Cabrera LF

Abreu 1B

Frazier 3B

LaRoche DH

Desmond SS

Lawrie 2B

Avila C

Jackson CF

Problem is Boras. Jackson is likely holding out for $10+ million. Add Desmond and that's probably at least $23 million.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
Problem is Boras. Jackson is likely holding out for $10+ million. Add Desmond and that's probably at least $23 million.

He should probably remember he's Austin Jackson and pitchers and catchers report in a week

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)

Eaton RF

Cabrera LF

Abreu 1B

Frazier 3B

LaRoche DH

Desmond SS

Lawrie 2B

Avila C

Jackson CF

That would be the ideal scenario IMO.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 05:47 PM)
At the same time, the offense has two guys who can get on base at a plus rate. Fowler would be the third. It's just lawyer speak with Hahn. He's not insinuating anything most of the time. "In all probablity, we have to consider all options while giving consideration to the resources at hand and all the markets to play in. It's conceivable to make that leap, but it would require yada yada yada." In essence, nothing is even said.

Or, said lawyer speak (without the yada, yada, yada) actually IS the appropriate response, albeit not the response the fanbase wants to hear. Situations are fluid; negotiations require strategizing; resources are not unlimited and need to be applied intelligently.

Everyone has become used to ESPN poker shows where we can see everyone's cards. There is rarely anything to be gained by a FO in showing their cards to anyone (especially with how information goes viral). In fact, the opposite is true -- there is often a lot to be gained by obfuscation and stealth.

Not defending my fellow attorney, Brian, but I'd rather Rick does a good job at his actual job instead of tipping his hand to fans and writers.

Different matter altogether on whether he's doing a good job at his actual job. So far, I give him an A- for effort, but an Incomplete for performance.

I just randomly looked at the 2010 draft. A great one for the White Sox BTW. Sale, Petricka, Reed. All drafts are obviously different but I picked 6 years because that gave time for development. From picks 20 on down, there were 4 or 5 players you would definitely regret giving up the pick for Dexter Fowler if you knew the Sox were targeting them. But that is a pretty small percentage of players for help a few years from now when you need an immediate upgrade. They still would have 2 of the top 50 picks.

If the reason they don't sign him is the draft pick, I really have no idea why they would even talk to him in the first place. It makes no sense. I got the impression from Hahn, that draft pick wasn't going to hinder the team from immediate improvement.

If Fowler signs for peanuts and the Sox don't upgrade, that is a total fail IMO. I still think they upgrade. If it isn't Fowler, maybe they sign Desmond. It also seems like they have some relievers they can deal. Some pitching is going to go to another team before opening day.