Illinois AD search

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
Which I think is really unfair. Why is that Groce's fault that a player makes a stupid decision? Groce should be fired for his results on the court, not some random act by a player in the middle of the night. He has no control over that.

If this was the first time, and he was kicked off, fine. But it's not. For the second time in 6 months, your future of the program starting big is about to kicked off the team. Now we have nothing in that department. Can't build program stability when this is a reoccurring theme.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
Well, it makes it harder for Groce to plead his case they'll compete next year if it's one of the "injured starters" that won't be back.

Yep and on top of that Groce is responsible for the state of the program. You can't control your players 24/7 but you are responsible for who you recruit and you can't have embarrassing stories come out like this about player behavior when your results on the court suck.

I think it's unfair to blame him for things out of his control, especially if you're also not going to give him the excuse that he's had the worst luck with injuries.

Based on the fact that he's a bad to not great coach who didn't recruit a D1 caliber PG for 4 years, he should be fired. The rest is just noise and IMO irrelevant.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
when college athletes do this stuff, I just shake my head. What did Black think the end game was going to be here? They were gonna be like "alright, he has a knife, lets just let him walk out"?

He made a lot of poor decisions on the court...scary to see it happen off the court as well. I wonder if he has some anger management issues.

While I've been pissed about the decline of the basketball program I was still onboard with Groce getting one more year, just felt with all the turmoil in the DIA and potentially recruiting the '17 class well I thought there was more chance that he would do better then whatever choice the DIA made.

Now, with him not even being able to control his players time and again, it's just reached that point that Groce has to go. Still think he could be successful somewhere but it won't be here, everyone needs a new start.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
Having two players get kicked of the team for committing crimes is not a good look when your team is losing a lot of games.

Yup, you can have a clean program without any criminal issues and a bad season is slightly tolerable. Being a bad coach, not getting enough talent, not winning games AND not being able to control your players is about the worst you could do at the job.

Time to move on.