**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

Played the first few hours of Uncharted 4 last night. Easily the most photo-realistic graphics of any game i've ever played. Incredible. Also loved the nod to prior games in the series and also to the ps1 in one of the early chapters.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 8, 2016 -> 08:25 PM)
I like Overwatch, but I'm not sure how much I'd like having to seriously think about team composition and play defense/support roles. I do like MOBA type games but they can be incredibly annoying if your skill level isn't honed. I'm not the type of guy to spend a bunch of time getting good at PVP games so I can imagine playing against those who do would be bothersome.

I believe the matchmaking system places you in games with people of a similar "level" as you. So if you only play occasionally, you're not going to be in games against people who play 10 hours a day.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 11, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
Played the first few hours of Uncharted 4 last night. Easily the most photo-realistic graphics of any game i've ever played. Incredible. Also loved the nod to prior games in the series and also to the ps1 in one of the early chapters.

Agree on all points. I got all sad and nostalgic during the opening credits when I realized this is the last one.

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
They did have a mode that picked a random hero for you after each death, which is just total chaos.

I had a blast with the beta. Not all the characters were for me but they all feel unique and you can easily see the way each one can dominate a match in the right conditions, how they counter each other, etc. It's a very impressive game. There were some moments that sent me into storm of curse words, like you allude to a little. Most of them involved dying to Bastion, who is basically a character designed to sit in a corner and hit a key/button to spit high-damage laser-accuracy death at everyone. f*** that.

You could tell that Bastion is overpowered. Almost every game a Bastion dominated. I'm guessing he'll get nerfed before release.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 11, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
I believe the matchmaking system places you in games with people of a similar "level" as you. So if you only play occasionally, you're not going to be in games against people who play 10 hours a day.

You're right, I'm just paranoid because I used to play League of Legends a little bit and when I got into level 20+ I started drawing Bronze and Silver opponents sometimes, and I'd just get gg rekt m8. There is a steep learning curve to that game so it made me just want to create smurf accounts to play against people who suck as much as I do.

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 12, 2016 -> 02:11 AM)
You could tell that Bastion is overpowered. Almost every game a Bastion dominated. I'm guessing he'll get nerfed before release.

Bastion was nerfed before the open beta. I didn't play a LOT, but I didn't notice him being a problem. He can put out a lot of damage fast, but he also dies quickly (and is immobile). He's much less of a problem when people have mics and can communicate where he is.

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 12, 2016 -> 02:15 AM)
You're right, I'm just paranoid because I used to play League of Legends a little bit and when I got into level 20+ I started drawing Bronze and Silver opponents sometimes, and I'd just get gg rekt m8. There is a steep learning curve to that game so it made me just want to create smurf accounts to play against people who suck as much as I do.

Fair enough. I trust that Blizzard will include options for casual players though. They always did with Warcraft/Starcraft, a couple of games I never felt confident playing versus good people.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 12, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
I'm a platinum league starcraft player. I don't really like the 50/50ness of 1v1 games but I don't think it's much of a concern for FPS. Then again I haven't actually played Overwatch yet.

Overwatch is 6v6 in every mode. It was primarily designed to be competitive. So while there's a little room to "hide" in a 6-person team, it's less than most FPS where teams have 12-30 people.

I used to play in some 7v7 and 9v9 competitive leagues for Team Fortress 2, and you really need everyone to contribute.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 12, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
Bastion was nerfed before the open beta. I didn't play a LOT, but I didn't notice him being a problem. He can put out a lot of damage fast, but he also dies quickly (and is immobile). He's much less of a problem when people have mics and can communicate where he is.

This is true - he isn't an option in high level games and he has a lot of counters (Genji, Reaper, Pharah, Roadhog, even Symmetra can at least move him). But in pubs he was too disruptive, and the problem is the skill ceiling is so low with him. If I stroll around a corner and get taken out by Widowmaker, fine, she had to aim and probably headshot me to get that kill. If there's a Bastion sitting there holding left mouse, it's another story. Torbjorn is a much more interesting hero for that role because you have to think carefully about where you want to place his turret, and then level it up

Didn't ruin the game for me though, not even close.

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 12, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
This is true - he isn't an option in high level games and he has a lot of counters (Genji, Reaper, Pharah, Roadhog, even Symmetra can at least move him). But in pubs he was too disruptive, and the problem is the skill ceiling is so low with him. If I stroll around a corner and get taken out by Widowmaker, fine, she had to aim and probably headshot me to get that kill. If there's a Bastion sitting there holding left mouse, it's another story. Torbjorn is a much more interesting hero for that role because you have to think carefully about where you want to place his turret, and then level it up

Didn't ruin the game for me though, not even close.

I had a good time in the few games I played with Torbjorn. Most of my games were against AI simply because I didn't know any of the characters. So we dominated of course, but he has a fun play style for defense.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 12, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
I never owned a PS3 and I wanna play all the other Uncharted games first, f*** the way my head is wired

The Nathan Drake collection for PS4 has all 3 previous games, I get wanting to play the other games, the series is pretty story driven though it's not necessary to understand Uncharted 4.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 12, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
I never owned a PS3 and I wanna play all the other Uncharted games first, f*** the way my head is wired

The Uncharted collection is $20 at Best Buy right now, I think.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 12, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
The Nathan Drake collection for PS4 has all 3 previous games, I get wanting to play the other games, the series is pretty story driven though it's not necessary to understand Uncharted 4.

I did not know this. These are playable on the PS4, with the trophies available and everything?

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
The Uncharted collection is $20 at Best Buy right now, I think.

PS3 version? I don't have one, the other option would be PS Now

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 12, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
I did not know this. These are playable on the PS4, with the trophies available and everything?

Yep, PS4 and there are actually EXTRA trophies for the PS4 version! It's like $34 on Amazon right now.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 12, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Yep, PS4 and there are actually EXTRA trophies for the PS4 version! It's like $34 on Amazon right now.

Yeah I'm copping that. Good looking out. I make more money now than I did last gen so I can actually have both consoles, lol. Uncharted was one of the ones I missed out on that I wanted to play really bad, this is back in the days when Mass Effect was still a Xbox 360 exclusive.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 12, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)

PS4.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
Yeah I'm copping that. Good looking out. I make more money now than I did last gen so I can actually have both consoles, lol. Uncharted was one of the ones I missed out on that I wanted to play really bad, this is back in the days when Mass Effect was still a Xbox 360 exclusive.

You really should play the first 3 first. It'd be nice to get all the references in 4, but you should play them just because they're also awesome and really fun.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:09 PM)
You really should play the first 3 first. It'd be nice to get all the references in 4, but you should play them just because they're also awesome and really fun.

And you would never be able to go back and play them after 4 I don't think. The controls are just so much better through each game. I tried going back to 1 a few years ago and it was really tough after just playing 3.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)

I did this a while back. They somehow made the visuals on Uncharted 3 better. Still on #2 (1 kinda stunk, the age was felt, but the story was good). Once I wrap up 3, I'm sure 4 will be like 30 bucks.

Finished up Uncharted 4 last night. I'll go with 8.5 out of 10. Very solid, very fun, but the amount of climbing was a real drag. If this had been the first game in the series it would have been an easy 10 out of 10 and the issue of climbing wouldn't have been a thought. But after 3 games i've had enough. That's really the only negative I can think of though. The game is gorgeous, the writing is good, the story is good, and the game play is really smooth.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 19, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
Finished up Uncharted 4 last night. I'll go with 8.5 out of 10. Very solid, very fun, but the amount of climbing was a real drag. If this had been the first game in the series it would have been an easy 10 out of 10 and the issue of climbing wouldn't have been a thought. But after 3 games i've had enough. That's really the only negative I can think of though. The game is gorgeous, the writing is good, the story is good, and the game play is really smooth.

I've had a hard time evaluating the game on a scale because it's so much better than every other game in a number of ways, but it falls short in a few ways, too. That said, I didn't think it was a 10. I actually liked the climbing because it was much smoother than the previous games.

Trophies on the PlayStation don't quite feel the same as achievements, like I don't really get the same satisfaction of just adding to a pile of trophies as I do adding to an actual gamer score, I don't know why, maybe I'm just wired that way from getting a "score" from gaming so long. I also know this is kind of silly to even think about really and I don't know why I care about it so much.

That said, I'm probably gonna get a platinum trophy on Fallout 4, and the trophy system is perfect for that kind of game. Often what prevents me from getting plats is dumb multiplayer achievements that I don't care about, or there will be 2-3 challenges that are just too hard to bother with (like the VR challenges in Arkham Knight).