**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
I dont drink though. Plus I probably wont actually go to a bar except for Bears games. Bulls and Sox I can casually watch whenever I am at the gym or my parents house. I guess now that I am older and have kids and wife watching sports just doesnt happen enough for me to really alter my plans. Ultimately I am not cutting the cord to save bundles of money or anything. I really just wanted a playstation and that is something I can tell my wife to validate me buying one. If I can save a few bucks cutting the cord and utilizing the streaming then all the better.

Ever since I got married and had kids, I don't have the time or want to sit on my butt for 3 hours to watch sports anymore.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
You got it the wrong way. 10 KM hatched you Eevee. 5 km got you Oddish. There's a chart that tells you what eggs can hatch what Pokemon.

Link

I just assumed since the Eevee I waited 3 weeks to hatch was a 73 CP, and the Oddish was a 203 or something. Of that list of 10 KM, nearly all of them are cool/rare. Why the hell would they lump an Eevee in to that? I actually caught a higher level Eevee on my way back in the house, and an Oddish (albeit lower level) when I got inside. What an enormous waste of time. I was really excited that eggs would be valuable.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 02:22 AM)
I just assumed since the Eevee I waited 3 weeks to hatch was a 73 CP, and the Oddish was a 203 or something. Of that list of 10 KM, nearly all of them are cool/rare. Why the hell would they lump an Eevee in to that? I actually caught a higher level Eevee on my way back in the house, and an Oddish (albeit lower level) when I got inside. What an enormous waste of time. I was really excited that eggs would be valuable.

It goes by the Pokemon's number. Eevee is actually towards the end.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
Got a used PS2 and have been playing some old games this week. very nostalgic haha

Never went above a PS2.......got 6 or 7 games i play on it consistently. never felt like spending the money to go to PS3 or PS4

The Verge: Nintendo shares plummet after investors realize it doesn't actually make Pokémon Go

It appears that Nintendo's huge stock bump, which took the company past Sony in market capitalization, was fueled by investors with the misguided belief that Pokémon is wholly a Nintendo creation and that the company would benefit accordingly. Nothing that Nintendo said in its announcement on Friday was new information — there isn't a Nintendo logo to be found anywhere within Pokémon Go itself, and the status of the game's ownership has been clear since it was announced last year.

If you have a Samsung quick charger and you want to plug your PS4 controller into it... don't... the controller doesn't actually regulate the voltage and it can't take it, and it'll fry the board connected to the charger. $40 lesson for me.

Good PC game recommendation for anyone that likes city builders: Banished. I got it for $4.99 on GoG.com. For 5 bucks it's a no brainer but i'd still probably recommend it at $20. It doesn't have a TON of replayability after a while, but you'll put in hours and hours and hours figuring it all out before you get to the point where there isn't anything new to do. Well worth the money.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
Anyone been playing Overwatch on here?

Finally bought it after reading all the good reviews etc. over the past few months..

The only thing I've played since its release, I'm still absolutely in love with it.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
The only thing I've played since its release, I'm still absolutely in love with it.

Yea still playing a ton. Finally playing Competitive, hate that people leave in that s***... Also hate that if you do well but your team sucks you still get docked, should have a better algorithm for that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Yea still playing a ton. Finally playing Competitive, hate that people leave in that s***... Also hate that if you do well but your team sucks you still get docked, should have a better algorithm for that.

I've been very careful about who I group up with in competitive because I don't like that feeling. At least when we lose, we know that everybody on the team was competent and we just got outplayed or had a bad game.

Some people have been complaining about the opposite because the algorithm compares your performance to the average for that hero. That's one part of how it decides how much to dock or reward you. So teams that run double healer have supports who can't rack up as much healing because there's only so much to go around. The result is that people who play support a lot don't rank up as fast. So that's an argument for everyone on the team getting the same bonus or punishment.

I started No Man's Sky tonight. I don't work until the evening tomorrow so I figured I'd just go nuts tonight and play as much as I wanted. It's not 5 a.m. and I haven't gone to bed yet. This game is MASSIVE not just in literal size (we've already heard about how many planets there are), but also in how complex it is. There are so many things you can do and I literally just started flying around with my ship, which opened up a whole bunch of stuff. I had been walking everywhere to explore and now I can save time doing this. I can't even imagine the extra layers once I leave a planet for the first time. Geez.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 05:12 AM)
I started No Man's Sky tonight. I don't work until the evening tomorrow so I figured I'd just go nuts tonight and play as much as I wanted. It's not 5 a.m. and I haven't gone to bed yet. This game is MASSIVE not just in literal size (we've already heard about how many planets there are), but also in how complex it is. There are so many things you can do and I literally just started flying around with my ship, which opened up a whole bunch of stuff. I had been walking everywhere to explore and now I can save time doing this. I can't even imagine the extra layers once I leave a planet for the first time. Geez.

Is it fun though? Based on the limited stuff I've seen, it seems like all you do is gather resources, build-up your ship, and move closer to the center of the Galaxy. They may be fun for a little while, but I see it getting tedious if there isn't more to it than that.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 05:23 AM)
Is it fun though? Based on the limited stuff I've seen, it seems like all you do is gather resources, build-up your ship, and move closer to the center of the Galaxy. They may be fun for a little while, but I see it getting tedious if there isn't more to it than that.

Yea that's the big question, my buddy has been playing it all night/day essentially so awaiting his review.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 05:23 AM)

Haven't played it - no PS4 :( - but it seems like that could become a problem.

That said, it is an amazing thing. I switched back and forth between 6 or 7 people streaming it last night and each one was exploring a completely different environment with different animals and different intelligent life to interact with and it was just really cool to see. There's a component where you have to find items to learn the alien languages you come across. I don't know how involved that is - it could be little more than a fetch quest or it could open up a bunch of things to do.

It's not gonna live up to the out-of-control hype but for me there are enough reasons to admire it and play it. Ultimately I don't know about the depth, but the breadth is remarkable and justifies a purchase.

Sean Murray ‏@NoMansSky 13m13 minutes ago

I'm watching so many twitch streams. We made a nice game you guys. It's got cool music, lots of pretty stuff and people are having fun guys

From a particularly solid review. I'm interested in this game, but not sure I'd ever be able to devote the time required to enjoy it.

The problem, then, is that those parts are so constantly interrupted or put on hold for the sake of a survival loop that just isn’t very fun. s***, I’m almost out of carbon, which means I need to wander over to some local plant life and slowly cut it down with my mining tool. Damn, I’m ready to leave this planet but my thrusters are low on power; time to wander mindlessly until I happen across some plutonium.

The mundanity of this cycle is exacerbated by an insultingly tiny inventory space that requires near-constant juggling and micromanaging. Was it plutonium or platinum that I needed? Can I actually keep all of these tradeable trinkets I’ve found until I stumble across an NPC willing to trade with me, or can I just not spare the space? These are the types of strategic questions I found myself asking as I played No Man’s Sky, and frankly they just don’t make for a terribly engaging experience so far.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/9/1...review-10-hours

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
From a particularly solid review. I'm interested in this game, but not sure I'd ever be able to devote the time required to enjoy it.

The problem, then, is that those parts are so constantly interrupted or put on hold for the sake of a survival loop that just isn’t very fun. s***, I’m almost out of carbon, which means I need to wander over to some local plant life and slowly cut it down with my mining tool. Damn, I’m ready to leave this planet but my thrusters are low on power; time to wander mindlessly until I happen across some plutonium.

The mundanity of this cycle is exacerbated by an insultingly tiny inventory space that requires near-constant juggling and micromanaging. Was it plutonium or platinum that I needed? Can I actually keep all of these tradeable trinkets I’ve found until I stumble across an NPC willing to trade with me, or can I just not spare the space? These are the types of strategic questions I found myself asking as I played No Man’s Sky, and frankly they just don’t make for a terribly engaging experience so far.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/9/1...review-10-hours

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 08:44 PM)
Ok this game rocks. I repaired my ship!

This is pretty much it. The survival loop is a bit annoying, but the game is so impressive and cool that you put up with it. I wish it was more forgiving in that way, but I assume the more you play the easier those things will become. It definitely terrifies me with how much time it seems to require, at least the way I've played so far.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 02:34 AM)
Yeah, I don't know about this game. Is there really an objective? Or just, hey, f*** around and explore? I feel like I would bite at $20, but I don't think I can see myself spending $60 and then stop playing after a week of exploration.

The first objective is to repair your busted ship and get off the planet. I was nearly done rebuilding my warp drive last night but am about 80k units short of getting the much-needed anti-matter to do so.

The game does a great job of guiding you through objectives, and as dumb as this sounds, flying between planets and exploring is really awesome!! I was fully immersed last night, something that doesn't happen often for me in videogames anymore.

I'm 3.5 hours in, so we'll see how much longer the excitement lasts. I know I'll be diving back in tonight.