**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed part of my time with No Man's Sky, finding new worlds, naming s*** and ..... Well, that's about it, in the first 6 systems I ventured into, 4 had already been discovered by ONE f***ing player -- Wizardnebula69 -- how is that even possible? A game where the developers believed it would take so long for players to find each other that they didn't even bother to include player to player interaction in the game's initial release, I came across another asshole in my second system.

I grinded from plant to plant like a dope, spending ridiculous amounts of time firing upon rocks to collect ultimately meaningless resources because I'm a sucker for hoarding-centric gameplay (thank Fallout for this character flaw), there was no real point to any of this, no truly fantasticle monsters to discover or epic space dogfights, just slight variations upon the same pig-demon I met on the last previously discovered planet I visited and clumsy, broken hold-x-at-this-reticule and slowly pivot space battles.

The UI is bad, the trading is bad, the ground combat is bad, the leveling system is bad, the story is bad, the inventory system is horrific and the payoff is non-existent. I've foolishly played more hours than I care to admit and I've yet to see an ROI, just more mindless grinding and the same f***ing animations over and over again. I'm bored and in reality I've been bored since the very beginning, hopelessly waiting for a payoff that does not exist. This game may be playable in the future, once the developers get their s*** together via DLC but it's sadly broken and vapid right now and I can't help but feel like I was sold a bill of goods by a small studio who didn't know how to handle their insane hype so they just rode the wave, telling fib after fib because they didn't know better.

And what we're left with is basically a procedurally generated Rebel Galaxy ($20 title), sans the solid space combat and Firefly inspired asthetic, oh and 100000x more grinding, so much grinding.

tl;dr: f***, I believed the hype and unfortunately so did the developer, knowing all along that they couldn't back it up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
I enjoyed part of my time with No Man's Sky, finding new worlds, naming s*** and ..... Well, that's about it, in the first 6 systems I ventured into, 4 had already been discovered by ONE f***ing player -- Wizardnebula69 -- how is that even possible? A game where the developers believed it would take so long for players to find each other that they didn't even bother to include player to player interaction in the game's initial release, I came across another asshole in my second system.

I grinded from plant to plant like a dope, spending ridiculous amounts of time firing upon rocks to collect ultimately meaningless resources because I'm a sucker for hoarding-centric gameplay (thank Fallout for this character flaw), there was no real point to any of this, no truly fantasticle monsters to discover or epic space dogfights, just slight variations upon the same pig-demon I met on the last previously discovered planet I visited and clumsy, broken hold-x-at-this-reticule and slowly pivot space battles.

The UI is bad, the trading is bad, the ground combat is bad, the leveling system is bad, the story is bad, the inventory system is horrific and the payoff is non-existent. I've foolishly played more hours than I care to admit and I've yet to see an ROI, just more mindless grinding and the same f***ing animations over and over again. I'm bored and in reality I've been bored since the very beginning, hopelessly waiting for a payoff that does not exist. This game may be playable in the future, once the developers get their s*** together via DLC but it's sadly broken and vapid right now and I can't help but feel like I was sold a bill of goods by a small studio who didn't know how to handle their insane hype so they just rode the wave, telling fib after fib because they didn't know better.

And what we're left with is basically a procedurally generated Rebel Galaxy ($20 title), sans the solid space combat and Firefly inspired asthetic, oh and 100000x more grinding, so much grinding.

tl;dr: f***, I believed the hype and unfortunately so did the developer, knowing all along that they couldn't back it up.

Well this about did it in for me / I'm now intrigued because Rebel Galaxy is free on PSN this month.

Dude, you just got to get to the center of the universe! ;)

This game may be playable in the future, once the developers get their s*** together via DLC but it's sadly broken and vapid right now and I can't help but feel like I was sold a bill of goods by a small studio who didn't know how to handle their insane hype so they just rode the wave, telling fib after fib because they didn't know better.

I don't think the developer really lied about the game. They delivered on the space side. There are a ton of planets. There's variety within those planets, flying in the ship is cool. They never really explained the moment-to-moment gameplay, the purpose. I still think it had nothing to do with the studio not being able to deliver. They delivered on the scale. They just needed to make it a loot-based game like Division or Borderlands. Go to certain planets for certain types of loot to build certain things so you can defeat this type of enemy that keeps bothering you. The inventory restrictions take the fun out of finding a box with something inside.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
For anyone that played Star Wars Battlefront or still has it, you should give it another spin starting tomorrow. The Death Star DLC is coming out, and they seem to add a lot. They already have over the last two months, it's a really different game from when it was released months ago. It's a really different game, and it's a ton of fun.

No story mode? No buy for me.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
For anyone that played Star Wars Battlefront or still has it, you should give it another spin starting tomorrow. The Death Star DLC is coming out, and they seem to add a lot. They already have over the last two months, it's a really different game from when it was released months ago. It's a really different game, and it's a ton of fun.

Oh, I'm diving RIGHT BACK IN.

And yeah, no story mode is needed in this wonderful game. Time to log more hours.

So the wife and kids were gone for a good chunk of the weekend. I was bored and surfing around the internet and saw that WoW had a new expansion out. For some reason I thought, hey, I wonder if that game holds up. Six hours later I had a free, starter edition character to the max level. That game is like crack. Hadn't played it in 5 years and it took about 30 minutes to get sucked right back in. I have to force myself not to sign up for another month or two to keep playing.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
So the wife and kids were gone for a good chunk of the weekend. I was bored and surfing around the internet and saw that WoW had a new expansion out. For some reason I thought, hey, I wonder if that game holds up. Six hours later I had a free, starter edition character to the max level. That game is like crack. Hadn't played it in 5 years and it took about 30 minutes to get sucked right back in. I have to force myself not to sign up for another month or two to keep playing.

yeah that s*** is addictive. I used to come home at night and play until the sun came up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
As predicted, players have gotten sick of endless crafting and No Mans sky is dying.

Yeah, I played it for a little over a week and then had to go out of town for work for about 8 days. I came back and never played it again. It has some interesting aspects but not enough to keep you roped in for a long period of time.

Playing the new Deus Ex and finally finishing the StarCraft 2 campaign were much more rewarding imo.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
As predicted, players have gotten sick of endless crafting and No Mans sky is dying.

It is inevitable. The game can be so pretty. Whoever did the art for it deserves an award. The reason it got so much buzz in trailers is because it looks fantastic. The visuals lived up to the hype. It's just a game that can't get out of its own way. Not a lot of quality of life stuff. Little annoying things that don't directly relate to the gameplay loop that make it a bit more tedious. Menus are annoying, the UI isn't great, it crashes on occasion. If it was smoother to navigate the repetition would be less grating.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
According to Kinja Deals, Dell has a bundle with black ops 3 and nba 2k17 and a 75 gift card for $300

Hmm cant find it yet, ill keep looking.

The bundle I was looking at was on Amazon, 2 controllers and BO3 for 285