**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
I love my PS4 so much.

Also, Madden is just on an amazing level this year. I cannot express how much better it is.

It's good, but the fumbles are absolutely ridiculous. It's like the game doesn't understand that the tuck rule exists. If your QB gets hit with his arm moving forward, it's a fumble. I'm in a CFM online league with my friends and the top 6 fumblers in the league are our QBs. It's so dumb.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
Tell me how much, convince me to replace my PS3

I play it almost daily. The games are awesome. I recently (since I don't leave the house late at night anymore) have been stocking up on the amazing games I never tried - they're all dirt cheap now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
Tell me how much, convince me to replace my PS3

I am waiting for the PS4 Pro to be released. At that point the old PS4 price will likely go down and I can decide if it is worth it to buy the newer version. More than likely Ill wait to see if there is a Final Fantasy bundle with a limited edition model. I kind of regret not getting the Darth Vader PS4, but at least it meant I waited a bit longer for the better system to come out.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
Anybody got FIFA 17 yet? Is there a huge difference from last years game? I usually wait a few years before buying a new FIFA unless something is really worth moving up for.

It's very different. There's a new engine in place. It feels more like PES passing-wise.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
Anybody got FIFA 17 yet? Is there a huge difference from last years game? I usually wait a few years before buying a new FIFA unless something is really worth moving up for.

It's different in some ways, not different in important ways. They totally reworked corners and penalties and adjusted free kicks. I like the new corners, hate the new penalties. Some of the same issues crop up though. Stupid teammates and controls that seem to fight you. Having more trouble than usual getting players to pass to the correct player. Sometimes the direction is off by 45 degrees from what I was aiming. It's infuriating at times.

The Journey is surprisingly cool though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
I love my PS4 so much.

Also, Madden is just on an amazing level this year. I cannot express how much better it is.

I purchased Madden 17, NHL 17, and NBA 2K17 on their release dates. To this date, I'd guess I've played NHL 5-7 times, 2K 10-12 times, and Madden at least 40 times. It's incredible, blew away all of my expectations.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
It's very different. There's a new engine in place. It feels more like PES passing-wise.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 02:16 AM)
It's different in some ways, not different in important ways. They totally reworked corners and penalties and adjusted free kicks. I like the new corners, hate the new penalties. Some of the same issues crop up though. Stupid teammates and controls that seem to fight you. Having more trouble than usual getting players to pass to the correct player. Sometimes the direction is off by 45 degrees from what I was aiming. It's infuriating at times.

Yea might have to pass on this guys. Not a PES fan at all and Dan's write up makes it seem like the Journey is the only real difference (and the engine i suppose).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 02:16 AM)

Passing works way better than 16 IMO. I can actually pass in the box now instead of the ball getting intercepted or going completely to the wrong player. There's still times where I'll want to pass it to one player and it'll go to another. Sometimes that's my fault, but other times, it seems like the game's screwing me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
i honestly have zero interest in any sort of VR. Give me a remote and tv

and get off my lawn

At least not yet. This reminds me of Nintendo's Virtual Boy from years ago. Oh sweet, you can look around in 3d and pick s*** up. Cool?

Wake me when you can play a game like Skyrim or GTA in VR. Then i'll invest in one of the machines.

I just got the PS4...for my son. He likes the first person shooter games, and I absolutely suck at them. I like the sports games. We did play Madden 17 the day he got the PS4, and it is bad ass. I had some trouble with getting online, so it wasn't the full experience. Noe that I have the network stuff fixed I want to play it again and maybe MLB The Show. I'll need to talk him into letting me play...

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
At least not yet. This reminds me of Nintendo's Virtual Boy from years ago. Oh sweet, you can look around in 3d and pick s*** up. Cool?

Wake me when you can play a game like Skyrim or GTA in VR. Then i'll invest in one of the machines.

Just to play devil's advocate, this tech is way way way cooler than Virtual Boy. But I agree with you guys, I'm totally disinterested.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
Just to play devil's advocate, this tech is way way way cooler than Virtual Boy. But I agree with you guys, I'm totally disinterested.

I played a game at an arcade a while back called Beach head where you pull a VR screen over your head and you are basically the last line of defense on a beach, with invading armies coming out of the sea. You have 360 vision, and it was fun for a little while, but when I was finished i was like "dont need to do that again"

I just cant imagine a game that i will want to be fully immersed in that will keep me interested. Im sure they will come out with something, but a roller coaster game just doesnt seem fun to me, visiting places around the world just doesnt seem all that fun.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
I played a game at an arcade a while back called Beach head where you pull a VR screen over your head and you are basically the last line of defense on a beach, with invading armies coming out of the sea. You have 360 vision, and it was fun for a little while, but when I was finished i was like "dont need to do that again"

I just cant imagine a game that i will want to be fully immersed in that will keep me interested. Im sure they will come out with something, but a roller coaster game just doesnt seem fun to me, visiting places around the world just doesnt seem all that fun.

Not to mention if you have the right phone you can spend $15 bucks and create your own VR headset for the same "ride along" experience.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
Passing works way better than 16 IMO. I can actually pass in the box now instead of the ball getting intercepted or going completely to the wrong player. There's still times where I'll want to pass it to one player and it'll go to another. Sometimes that's my fault, but other times, it seems like the game's screwing me.

The new engine makes deflections seem more natural, which is big in terms of flow of the game, but I have been playing FIFA for too many years. I no longer have any patience for passes going to the wrong player. It may only happen 2-3 times per game, but it's infuriating each time.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
i honestly have zero interest in any sort of VR. Give me a remote and tv

and get off my lawn

I'm not in any rush to spend hundreds of dollars on it, but I am certainly curious. I think Eve Valkyrie looks really cool. I saw some footage of the Batman VR and thought it looked pretty lame. I'm sure they can come up with good stuff, but it's going to take time. No reason to be an early adopter to this IMO.

About five hours into Mafia 3 and I'm really enjoying it so far. The story and characters are amazing, amongst the best I've ever seen in a video game. The setting/atmosphere is incredible. You really feel like you're in 1960's New Orleans. The gameplay is very solid for an open-world GTA type game. Nothing revolutionary here, but no significant flaws either. There's a chance the mission structure will start to get repetitive at some point, but right now I'm enjoying it a ton. If you're a fan of story driven games, then I highly recommend it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 07:26 PM)
About five hours into Mafia 3 and I'm really enjoying it so far. The story and characters are amazing, amongst the best I've ever seen in a video game. The setting/atmosphere is incredible. You really feel like you're in 1960's New Orleans. The gameplay is very solid for an open-world GTA type game. Nothing revolutionary here, but no significant flaws either. There's a chance the mission structure will start to get repetitive at some point, but right now I'm enjoying it a ton. If you're a fan of story driven games, then I highly recommend it.

Only reason I haven't bought it yet is because every review I had seen from fans or small publications have been disappointed, saying it gets really repetitive, and that the AI is atrocious.

Waiting for IGN or some major source to review it and give more detailed reply. Anything around a 7/10 or better and I'll get it.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
Only reason I haven't bought it yet is because every review I had seen from fans or small publications have been disappointed, saying it gets really repetitive, and that the AI is atrocious.

Waiting for IGN or some major source to review it and give more detailed reply. Anything around a 7/10 or better and I'll get it.

My guess is IGN will give it about an 8. Most open world GTA-type games get repetitive in terms of mission structure, but very few have the story and polish that Mafia 3 has. It definitely isn't on the level of GTA V, a near perfect game IMO, but I think the narrative is far more interesting (at least so far) and will be its driving force through some of the more repetitive moments.

Hi all,

Currently considering buying an Xbox one s 1 TB halo bundle collection from microsoft website for $350.00. Quite the perfect bundle.

I already have a ps3 and have been a playstation fan boy for quite some time, but i figure if I go xbox now I still get Kingdom hearts 3, and can also play the awesome Halo bundle. Also, looking forward to rocket league.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy an xbox one s in this situation? I don't see any reason to buy a ps4 right now since I have a ps3 and an xbox covers most/all the games that are of any concern to me.

(note: I am not a big game-player, just love a few games passionately -- kingdom hearts series, final fantasy, halo series, some sports games, some fun games like rocket league / lbp)

thanks

So in the end, for about ~$450 I can get:

-xbox one s 1TB version

- Halo 5 Guardians

- Halo Master chief collection (Halo 1 through 4 HD woohoo)

- Watch Dogs

- 1 Extra XBOX controller (so I'd have 2 in total)

- Dual energizer charge system (so I don't have to keep buying batteries)

all shipped to my house.

That seems like a good deal to me, no?