**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
I ended up getting a PS4. Are there any games you guys recommend besides The Show and Madden? I typically like sports games, but am open to anything. Is there a good auto racing game? I'd like to play with my dad.

I'm not sure if this fits, but Rocket League is an amazing game. It's very fast paced, online action. Check it out if you haven't yet. It's one of those games that you just set up, play, and have fun.

I think all consoles need to have sports games that are a bit on the cartoony side, I don't even care if it is affiliated with a pro league. Ken Griffey Baseball was so much fun

I completely agree, I remember NBA Street, NFL Blitz, NHL Hitz and these games were some of the best sports games i've ever played (especially NHL Hitz). With the focus being online play these days, it's so sad that we don't get better versions of these games with really creative stadiums and players and unlockables. The corny, but hilarious announcers were always fun too.

Ah well... one can only hope....

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up getting a PS4. Are there any games you guys recommend besides The Show and Madden? I typically like sports games, but am open to anything. Is there a good auto racing game? I'd like to play with my dad.

If you want more of a sports car driving game Driveclub is fantastic. One of the best looking games on the system has some gorgeous fictional road courses. The AI is kind of dumb when you do races though. They don't really care if they get into an accident.

If you want more of a simulation with really smart AI, Project Cars might be more your style. They avoid accidents at almost all costs allowing you to actually race them and pick your spots to pass and defend. It has an unlicensed version of F1 cars and a decent career mode to go with a good variety of different kinds of race cars and street cars. That said, I found it to be much less enjoyable in terms of the driving feel and it's not quite as good looking as Driveclub or a Forza game. I thought I was on roller skates with some of the cars.

NBA 2K, NHL (if you like hockey, I don't think you do but I'm not sure), Battlefield 1 (incredible so far), GTA V (must-have and probably cheap now too)

• 3 weeks later...

Rumors about Nintendo Switch's year 1 lineup sounds incredible. New 3D Mario (64 style), new open-world Zelda, Pokémon, updated versions of Mario Kart 8 & Splatoon, Pikman 4, a new game from Retro Studios, and a brand new IP. If you didn't own a Wii U, and let's be honest very few did, this could be an incredible system. And at the rumored $250 price point, this system might just sell extremely well.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 06:36 AM)
Rumors about Nintendo Switch's year 1 lineup sounds incredible. New 3D Mario (64 style), new open-world Zelda, Pokémon, updated versions of Mario Kart 8 & Splatoon, Pikman 4, a new game from Retro Studios, and a brand new IP. If you didn't own a Wii U, and let's be honest very few did, this could be an incredible system. And at the rumored $250 price point, this system might just sell extremely well.

Ha. Nintendo release schedules. Ha.

Fool me once...

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)

Fool me once...

Ha, can't argue that. There has been a lot of talk that Nintendo is really trying to get this launch right, because of how botched WiiU was. If they manage launching with 75% of those titles, I will be pretty happy. If they launch with all of them I will be stunned.

Interested in the specs given the rumored price point

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)

Fool me once...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 06:55 PM)
Ha, can't argue that. There has been a lot of talk that Nintendo is really trying to get this launch right, because of how botched WiiU was. If they manage launching with 75% of those titles, I will be pretty happy. If they launch with all of them I will be stunned.

Interested in the specs given the rumored price point

Nintendo also shifted most of their resources to Switch a while ago. Wii U has been pretty much dead all year and even 3DS has seen a slowdown in quality releases. Furthermore, three of the games I mentioned are enhanced ports (if you count the new Zelda) and shouldn't take that much time to develop. I honestly believe we see all those games in the first 12 months of Switch's life. It really like Nintendo finally figured its s*** out for the first time in my adult life. Can't launch with only two 1st party games and then have nothing to offer for months. This is really do or die time for Nintendo and it appears they aren't f***ing around anymore.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
Nintendo also shifted most of their resources to Switch a while ago. Wii U has been pretty much dead all year and even 3DS has seen a slowdown in quality releases. Furthermore, three of the games I mentioned are enhanced ports (if you count the new Zelda) and shouldn't take that much time to develop. I honestly believe we see all those games in the first 12 months of Switch's life. It really like Nintendo finally figured its s*** out for the first time in my adult life. Can't launch with only two 1st party games and then have nothing to offer for months. This is really do or die time for Nintendo and it appears they aren't f***ing around anymore.

Yeah, but Nintendo not f***ing around is still Nintendo. When I get on the court, I'm not f***ing around, but still couldn't make High School varsity.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
Yeah, but Nintendo not f***ing around is still Nintendo. When I get on the court, I'm not f***ing around, but still couldn't make High School varsity.

Look, I get the skeptism, I've been down on Nintendo for a while now. Having said that, they've pretty much done everything right so far with Switch based on what's been announced and rumored. A hybrid was the way to go, allowing for all their resources to focus on one system (eventually) and prevent the long drought without games that we're used to. The price point is perfect at $250 for the device to have mass appeal. And most importantly, they're bringing out all their big guns from the get-go. A huge, open-World Zelda and a brand new 3D Mario (like Mario 64 to boot) both coming out in 2017. Those are all but a guarantee at this point along with the Mario Kart & Splatoon enhanced ports I mentioned. Even with just those four games this system is going to sell like crazy. When was the last time Nintendo had three of their big four franchises (Smash the only one missing) within 6 months or even a year of launch? IMO, this feels like a different Nintendo to me and maybe it's the new CEO driving these changes.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 07:26 AM)
It uses cartridges, so the answer is going to be a no.

And that is highly disappointing. I have made an investment in WiiU just like I did the Wii, and I liked that i could play Wii games as well(just like I enjoyed being able to play GameCube games on the Wii). Hopefully there is some sort of remedy that doesnt involve me purchasing the same games again

So has anyone here bought (or attempted to buy) the NES classic yet? It looks like that is the big rage for Christmas this year and pretty much all the stores are sold out of it.

I still have a couple of actual working NES systems from the 80's/90's and all of my old games so I'm not all that interested in it. I already have half the games that come pre-installed on it and the few I don't have never interested me that much anyway.

The only thing that really intrigues me is the ability to save any game at any point. That would've been nice 25 years ago.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
So has anyone here bought (or attempted to buy) the NES classic yet? It looks like that is the big rage for Christmas this year and pretty much all the stores are sold out of it.

I still have a couple of actual working NES systems from the 80's/90's and all of my old games so I'm not all that interested in it. I already have half the games that come pre-installed on it and the few I don't have never interested me that much anyway.

The only thing that really intrigues me is the ability to save any game at any point. That would've been nice 25 years ago.

I traded my kids 3DS in for a newer 2DS last saturday, and the gamestop employee told me that they had 20 NES Classics before they opened the store. as he walked in there was a line down the walkway, and they sold all of them in 20 minutes. While I was waiting there for the data transfer(about an hour and a half), 5 people came in asking for one.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)

I really wanted it for my daughter as I thought it'd be a good introduction to videogames. At this point, I might punt on it as this manufactured demand is absurd.

does this not happen with new consoles really any more? I remember growing up and there always being huge Christmas-time shortages on the big games for the season, and of course any new systems. In high school, a couple of my friends worked at KMart and would buy all of the PS2's when they came in and then immediately resell them for a profit on eBay or whatever.

Seems appropriate for a vintage console to have shortages, really!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
does this not happen with new consoles really any more? I remember growing up and there always being huge Christmas-time shortages on the big games for the season, and of course any new systems. In high school, a couple of my friends worked at KMart and would buy all of the PS2's when they came in and then immediately resell them for a profit on eBay or whatever.

Seems appropriate for a vintage console to have shortages, really!

Nintendo has mastered the holiday demand shortage. Every damn console

Sadly, I never progressed PAST the PS2....however the old machine is still kicking (after a brief scare a year ago).

Never really had the time or money to invest in anything else. I got 5 or 6 games I still play and enjoy regularly and a couple PS1 games as well.