**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 02:28 AM)
This is pretty much it. The survival loop is a bit annoying, but the game is so impressive and cool that you put up with it. I wish it was more forgiving in that way, but I assume the more you play the easier those things will become. It definitely terrifies me with how much time it seems to require, at least the way I've played so far.

Getting the ship operational definitely kicks things up a notch because you can fly around looking for whatever you need vs jogging haha.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 05:36 AM)
Getting the ship operational definitely kicks things up a notch because you can fly around looking for whatever you need vs jogging haha.

Yeah, that's a gamechanger. That's what takes it from 'this is cool, but...' to a jaw-dropping experience. It's not the most fun game in terms of intense action, but I think about it pretty much all day until I get to play it at night. Not many games do that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 05:34 AM)
The first objective is to repair your busted ship and get off the planet. I was nearly done rebuilding my warp drive last night but am about 80k units short of getting the much-needed anti-matter to do so.

The game does a great job of guiding you through objectives, and as dumb as this sounds, flying between planets and exploring is really awesome!! I was fully immersed last night, something that doesn't happen often for me in videogames anymore.

I'm 3.5 hours in, so we'll see how much longer the excitement lasts. I know I'll be diving back in tonight.

I watched some Twitch streams like night and every person I watched was just harvesting gold or other elements, going to a base to deposit them, and then going back out to do it again. Just seemed like constant farming for materials.

I was kind of hoping you could discover a planet that is habitable for human life and start to colonize and then eventually populate the planet. Is it possible for societies to grow throughout the game?

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 12:47 AM)
I watched some Twitch streams like night and every person I watched was just harvesting gold or other elements, going to a base to deposit them, and then going back out to do it again. Just seemed like constant farming for materials.

I was kind of hoping you could discover a planet that is habitable for human life and start to colonize and then eventually populate the planet. Is it possible for societies to grow throughout the game?

That's doesn't seem to be part of it, no. Last night I warped to a new galaxy and immediately began being hunted by space raiders. That kicked things up a notch lol.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
So, whats the point of that game? Just endless crafting?

I guess? I don't know man, I honestly don't understand the appeal, but then again, I love The Sims franchise and I realize there are a ton of gamers who don't see how those games are fun either, so I guess it's just to each their own.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
So, whats the point of that game? Just endless crafting?

Having s*** tons of fun, bartering with aliens, discovering new planets, galaxies, and species, and ultimately, finding your way to the center of the universe.

If this doesn't get you excited, then the game is not meant for you: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
Having s*** tons of fun, bartering with aliens, discovering new planets, galaxies, and species, and ultimately, finding your way to the center of the universe.

If this doesn't get you excited, then the game is not meant for you: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/

The desciption of the game from the people who are playing makes it sound like each planet is randomly generated with almost no link to others, just seems a bit boring. What happens in the middle? I guess I dont get what the end game is here especially since you wont run into any other humans.

I'm probably gonna get it, especially if I ever get PS VR.

But what Joe suggested above - the ability to colonize and meet up with other players. If they ever add that to the game and make it work, it'd be the GOAT game.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
I'm probably gonna get it, especially if I ever get PS VR.

But what Joe suggested above - the ability to colonize and meet up with other players. If they ever add that to the game and make it work, it'd be the GOAT game.

That would make sense, then its not just you exploring all the time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
That would make sense, then its not just you exploring all the time.

Right, my idea was exploring to build up your ship and find a habitable planet, but then once you do, staking claim to that planet and colonizing. Maybe continuing to explore other planets to capture animals that you may want to either let breed or let populate your new planet, having to balance a proper food chain and ecosystem for them, recovering fauna from other planets and possibly engineering ways to transplant them to your new planet as well, build up a colony that's inviting enough that when random computer generated people visit your planet, they offer you a price to own a part of your planet's land. You use that money to build up and trade for other parts you'll need to start farming or building shelters for these people. Then, the people who have bought land from you, their land starts to build up automatically with houses and farming and whatever else over time, that way the people who are cohabitating with you help build up your planet as well.

I know know, just spitballing here.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
Right, my idea was exploring to build up your ship and find a habitable planet, but then once you do, staking claim to that planet and colonizing. Maybe continuing to explore other planets to capture animals that you may want to either let breed or let populate your new planet, having to balance a proper food chain and ecosystem for them, recovering fauna from other planets and possibly engineering ways to transplant them to your new planet as well, build up a colony that's inviting enough that when random computer generated people visit your planet, they offer you a price to own a part of your planet's land. You use that money to build up and trade for other parts you'll need to start farming or building shelters for these people. Then, the people who have bought land from you, their land starts to build up automatically with houses and farming and whatever else over time, that way the people who are cohabitating with you help build up your planet as well.

I know know, just spitballing here.

And then what, you all just sit there on that planet and go to work maybe have a beer at the bar then go home and do taxes? Now that is lame.

Havent gotten the game yet, but definitely plan on it. The point of the game is to get to the center of the universe or some s***, its not as pointless as described in here there are things to do for specific reasons.

And of course the f***ing PC version is busted at launch. Boots (if you can even get it to boot) with a 30 FPS cap which is a terrible sign and is plagued by persistent hitching, stuttering and crashes. Don't know what I expected, this happens with pretty much every cross platform release these days but still disappointing. Guess I'll be taking the plunge on the PS4.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
And then what, you all just sit there on that planet and go to work maybe have a beer at the bar then go home and do taxes? Now that is lame.

Havent gotten the game yet, but definitely plan on it. The point of the game is to get to the center of the universe or some s***, its not as pointless as described in here there are things to do for specific reasons.

Oh wow, that does sound fun!

:lol:

Played for about 90 mins at my buddies house today. We spent half of that time in the menu screen, transferring items from the Exosuit to the ship, fixing/reloading our gun, fixing our radioactivity thing or whatever, fixing out suit or whatever. We got to explore very little because we had to tend to those needs every couple minutes, constantly running at full item capacity.

My buddy thought it was alright, but regrets paying $60 for it. I definitely won't be jumping in to this now.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 02:41 AM)
IGN's review is kind of hammering home all of the fears I had about this game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/13/no-...y-review?page=1

Yeah, most reviews echo the same issues/concerns. The sense scale is incredible and allows the game to be enjoyable for a period of time, but the actual gameplay systems are simply not fun and get repetitive quickly. And if what I read about the end of game is true, then there's really no payoff. Pretty disappointing given how much hype this game has gotten.

I still like No Man's Sky, but I wish it were a Borderlands/Division style loot game instead of the resource management/hoarding game it is. I still love being in a spaceship in a universe that is actually space sized. If you like space-based sci-fi, like I do, you'll probably like the game. If not, then you play some nerdy fantasy/dragons game. :P

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 10:31 PM)
I still like No Man's Sky, but I wish it were a Borderlands/Division style loot game instead of the resource management/hoarding game it is. I still love being in a spaceship in a universe that is actually space sized. If you like space-based sci-fi, like I do, you'll probably like the game. If not, then you play some nerdy fantasy/dragons game. :P

Yeah, I am straight up geeking out over this game and completely obsessed. Went through a black hole last night!