**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
Must say -- The halo experience on MCC has been AWESOME. The Xbox one has been great the first couple of days Ive had it. The whole Gold games for free is amazing too. Downloaded the baseball game from there, not bad. (Also saw that they had WWE 2k16 for free a while back, amazing!)

Rocket league was only $15.00 for me due to gold membership as well.

This s*** is awesome!

But more specifically, on the Halo MCC collection, I have not played multiplayer with a group, but as an individual this has been an amazingly nostalgic performance! I'm able to get games pretty quickly in Big Team Battle and Halo 3 set ups. I played a Halo 1 CTF game and man that was different!

Greatness.

Games with Gold is great. They toss a lot of bad games at you, but they've also put out a few great ones that entertained me for a long time. Make sure you download every free game, even if you have absolutely no interest, so it flags that you own it. You can delete them to free up space and download again later if your tastes change.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First impressions of Civ 6 (from a Prince difficulty Civ player)

- Production is SLOW. Feels like it takes forever to make buildings/districts/wonders. I think they're trying to make you move away from all your cities having all the things. You really have to specialize and pick only those districts and buildings you really want. Unit production isn't so bad.

- On the other hand, research and civics (now basically a second research tree) go quite fast. The Active Research system, which allows you to get techs faster based on what you do (eg found a coastal city causes Sailing to research in half the time as usual), is cool though.

- AI is way more aggressive. I'm on one of the lower difficulties to feel things out and my nearest neighbor China attacked me with 6 warriors before I had even expanded. China and Kongo declared war on Russia soon after. Your cities don't even start with ranged attacks.

- The new art style is pretty but the fog of war is horrifically bad. Areas you haven't explored are 100% opaque brown. Areas you have explored but aren't currently in...are 90% opaque brown.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Yeah, I had the same thought.

Watch TES 6 get announced for Xbox One and PS4, while Nintendo is pimping Skyrim.

Steve posted the trailer.

Nintendo was pimping Zelda and Mario

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
If Nintendo can get good third party support this time around, I'm definitely in for the Switch.

I'm wondering how though. How much power can that thing possibly have if it's portable? What's the transition like from portable to TV? Are you running a low-res version of the game when it's portable and then it goes HD when it's hooked up to your TV? I want to know what the difference is because unless there is an up-res thing going on with the TV dock, the games will have to be made for a portable device. Either that thing is going to be crazy expensive (not likely knowing Nintendo) or it's going to be crappy versions of games like NBA 2K17 (shown in the trailer) just so it can run on the portable. If there is some tech boost going on when it's plugged into the TV does that mean games will run like crap or be missing features when portable?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
I'm wondering how though. How much power can that thing possibly have if it's portable? What's the transition like from portable to TV? Are you running a low-res version of the game when it's portable and then it goes HD when it's hooked up to your TV? I want to know what the difference is because unless there is an up-res thing going on with the TV dock, the games will have to be made for a portable device. Either that thing is going to be crazy expensive (not likely knowing Nintendo) or it's going to be crappy versions of games like NBA 2K17 (shown in the trailer) just so it can run on the portable. If there is some tech boost going on when it's plugged into the TV does that mean games will run like crap or be missing features when portable?

Nintendo: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me three times, start being a software company.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)

All valid concerns. We'll find out when more details come out about the hardware. I know Nvidia is making the SOC for the console.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
No one talking about RDR2?

Graphics were awesome, timeperiod looks AFTER RDR1, f*** I can't wait to jump back in to that world.

Ryan McCaffrey of IGN speculating that there may be 7 playable characters.

Um, I posted the trailer?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)
Nintendo: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me three times, start being a software company.

Quinarvy: I don't own a Nintendo products, but every time one is released I act like they stole my money

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 07:16 AM)
Quinarvy: I don't own a Nintendo products, but every time one is released I act like they stole my money

That was mean coming from a guy who buys everything Nintendo knowing it's not actually that good.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
That was mean coming from a guy who buys everything Nintendo knowing it's not actually that good.

I enjoy their games, I have never denied that. I also enjoy other systems, I just chose to stay with Nintendo because I love the first party games. Every time they come out with anything Q blasts it, for no reason other to say Nintendo sucks. I get it, people think they are always a step behind with their consoles, but they still manage to thrive.

And the games are pretty good. They just haven't had the volume

Wii U was a huge dissapointment, but I'm not sure how any of their other consoles could be considered bad. People may argue the Wii was a gimmick, but the system sold like crazy and had some amazing games. And every one of their systems before the Wii was beyond awesome.

I just don't get why PlayStation & Xbox fanboys feel the need to rip Nintendo. If you're too cool to play Nintendo games then so be it, but they remain one of the best video game developers in this world. I just don't see how the hate is justified.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 05:09 PM)
I enjoy their games, I have never denied that. I also enjoy other systems, I just chose to stay with Nintendo because I love the first party games. Every time they come out with anything Q blasts it, for no reason other to say Nintendo sucks. I get it, people think they are always a step behind with their consoles, but they still manage to thrive.

And the games are pretty good. They just haven't had the volume

It's a fair criticism of me, I'll take it. I do wish they just started focusing primarily on software because that's where they excel.

Wii and Wii U were just harsh departures from the Gamecube (which is one of my favorite consoles). Wii at least was successful, Wii U seemed doomed from the start because Nintendo insisted on being different.

They're make a return to standard controls, which is a step in the right direction, but then there's a bunch of reasons to be skeptical of the Switch, especially because the Wii U was a flop.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 04:20 AM)
Just bought CIV VI out of impulse. Got the deluxe version on green man gaming (if you log in it discounts down to about $63). I didnt do a ton of research on best price cause again impulse. haha

Turn on Fast Movement and Fast Combat. It will VASTLY speed up the turns, even when you're not moving/fighting.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
For those of you that have a PS4, would you recommend it? I currently have a PS2 and am looking to upgrade. I'm a casual gamer that plays the likes of MLB The Show, Madden, NBA2K, etc. If I do go through with it, is playing online as good as it seems? Thanks.

Justifying the price is entirely up to you if you only play a few games. That said, the system is super easy to use compared to the PS3. Playing online is usually seamless if you have halfway decent internet.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
First impressions of Civ 6 (from a Prince difficulty Civ player)

- Production is SLOW. Feels like it takes forever to make buildings/districts/wonders. I think they're trying to make you move away from all your cities having all the things. You really have to specialize and pick only those districts and buildings you really want. Unit production isn't so bad.

- On the other hand, research and civics (now basically a second research tree) go quite fast. The Active Research system, which allows you to get techs faster based on what you do (eg found a coastal city causes Sailing to research in half the time as usual), is cool though.

- AI is way more aggressive. I'm on one of the lower difficulties to feel things out and my nearest neighbor China attacked me with 6 warriors before I had even expanded. China and Kongo declared war on Russia soon after. Your cities don't even start with ranged attacks.

- The new art style is pretty but the fog of war is horrifically bad. Areas you haven't explored are 100% opaque brown. Areas you have explored but aren't currently in...are 90% opaque brown.

After about 3 hours over the weekend, that's a good reflection of my thoughts as well. Took me until about mid-game to realize I can't cram every building and every district type and have a mad race to build world wonders in every city. Hopefully it doesn't get too cookie cutter with "this is my science city, this is my economy city, this is my military city,etc." but it seems like a good way to introduce some new gameplay on the surface.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
After about 3 hours over the weekend, that's a good reflection of my thoughts as well. Took me until about mid-game to realize I can't cram every building and every district type and have a mad race to build world wonders in every city. Hopefully it doesn't get too cookie cutter with "this is my science city, this is my economy city, this is my military city,etc." but it seems like a good way to introduce some new gameplay on the surface.

Civ-to-Civ diplomacy seems jacked up right now, and they're gonna need some patching. China declared war on me 3-4 times and I was sick of it, so I countered and took their capital. The other 4 Civs immediately hated me (even the 2 China was beating up) and declared me a warmonger for the rest of the game. Gimme a break.

I finished that first game with a Cultural victory. My cities had become more balanced by the end of the game. Nothing had every district, but none were limited to being The Science City or anything like that.

Biggest lesson from game 1: be more aggressive with military and expansion.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
Justifying the price is entirely up to you if you only play a few games. That said, the system is super easy to use compared to the PS3. Playing online is usually seamless if you have halfway decent internet.

I'm going to be buying the PS4 this week at some point. Pretty excited, I haven't had a video game system in a loooooong time.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
Battlefield 1 is incredible. Truly a step up from Battlefield 4 and Hardline in terms of graphics and gameplay. Also, the WW1 Campaign Mode is very cool.

Are the graphics really that much better than BF4? It didn't scream way better to me, just marginally.

The gameplay is pretty great, still getting used to the different weapons and such but had a ton of fun playing. The first 4 hours of playing my buddy and I were struggling hard against tanks but finally got some anti-tank weapons that helped immensely. The beginning was pretty much getting burned whenever a tank came by.

The BF franchise still struggles with navigational controls in the waiting/pre-post game screens. Not being able to exit at points with the only option of closing the app (on PS4) should have been corrected in this version. Customization should be available offline (though I haven't dug around too much for that so I could've missed it). Just a lot of common sense things to improve the overall experience would be nice, figured there would've been enough feedback from BF4 to put light on that but maybe not.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Civ-to-Civ diplomacy seems jacked up right now, and they're gonna need some patching. China declared war on me 3-4 times and I was sick of it, so I countered and took their capital. The other 4 Civs immediately hated me (even the 2 China was beating up) and declared me a warmonger for the rest of the game. Gimme a break.

I finished that first game with a Cultural victory. My cities had become more balanced by the end of the game. Nothing had every district, but none were limited to being The Science City or anything like that.

Biggest lesson from game 1: be more aggressive with military and expansion.

Anyone having problems seeing all of the policies? For whatever reason there is no filter for the purple policies and they dont seem to fit on my screen when I have "no filter". I have tried a bunch of different things but cant figure out how to scroll right or be able to move the box. I assume that its some sort of user error.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 08:15 PM)
Anyone having problems seeing all of the policies? For whatever reason there is no filter for the purple policies and they dont seem to fit on my screen when I have "no filter}. I have tried a bunch of different things but cant figure out how to scroll right or be able to move the box. I assume that its some sort of user error.

You should be able to scroll right within that box. There's a slider at the bottom of the panel, and Mouse Wheel Down also works for me.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
You should be able to scroll right within that box. There's a slider at the bottom of the panel, and Mouse Wheel Down also works for me.

Thanks!

It was really late and I already got frustrated cause I got a "move unit" bug when there was no units to move, so I may have just missed it.