**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

Finished Firewatch in a binge last night. I like it. I liked it more in the first couple parts, but then it got a bit weird in the second half. I still recommend it. It's different from most other games out there. I can't wait to see what this studio has next. Firewatch is worth playing, but flawed (both technically and in story).

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
Finished Firewatch in a binge last night. I like it. I liked it more in the first couple parts, but then it got a bit weird in the second half. I still recommend it. It's different from most other games out there. I can't wait to see what this studio has next. Firewatch is worth playing, but flawed (both technically and in story).

Finished it in one sitting? Damn, must not be that long. I only put in about 30 minutes last night. Still on day 1.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
Finished it in one sitting? Damn, must not be that long. I only put in about 30 minutes last night. Still on day 1.

It wasn't one sitting, but one day. But yeah 4 hours as said above is probably about right.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
You actually play with big teams? I always start with some League Two team in England and build them up. In year three I'm currently in the Championship with 6 teenagers starting and 10 starters 21 and under. Not even a little bit realistic, but it's fun to play with the kids as they develop.

I play with good middle of the pack teams. I've done Wolfsburg and Spurs this year. CM is just something I do when I'm tired of the crap in Ultimate Team. I'm not sure I have the patience or skill to develop 10 young players, maybe 2-3 while the rest of the team is filled with OP players I like from UT.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
You actually play with big teams? I always start with some League Two team in England and build them up. In year three I'm currently in the Championship with 6 teenagers starting and 10 starters 21 and under. Not even a little bit realistic, but it's fun to play with the kids as they develop.

That's what I do. Playing with the big clubs is boring.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 05:16 PM)
I'm not sure I have the patience or skill to develop 10 young players, maybe 2-3 while the rest of the team is filled with OP players I like from UT.

I'm sim the first year and most of the second year. By the time I get to the Championship I usually start playing more/most of the games.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 06:16 PM)
I play with good middle of the pack teams. I've done Wolfsburg and Spurs this year. CM is just something I do when I'm tired of the crap in Ultimate Team. I'm not sure I have the patience or skill to develop 10 young players, maybe 2-3 while the rest of the team is filled with OP players I like from UT.

That's funny. I've done Spurs/Wolfsburg this year too. Started one with Middlesborough in the Championship also.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone playing the extended Division beta this weekend?

Thinking bout getting it if the reviews are good for PC, but it's one of those games where you need a group of friends to play with to really enjoy it I suppose.

XCOM2 and Tomb Raider are taking up a fair bit of my time ATM though currently.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 21, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Anyone playing the extended Division beta this weekend?

Thinking bout getting it if the reviews are good for PC, but it's one of those games where you need a group of friends to play with to really enjoy it I suppose.

XCOM2 and Tomb Raider are taking up a fair bit of my time ATM though currently.

It's good, not great. The bullet sponge enemies and dumb AI make it weird. That said, I have at least one friend who said he will play it so that makes me twice as likely to get it.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 01:09 AM)
It's good, not great. The bullet sponge enemies and dumb AI make it weird. That said, I have at least one friend who said he will play it so that makes me twice as likely to get it.

Did you actually play it? I found it far less "spongey" than the youtube video of other people I saw playing. Sure, it takes far more bullets than most games, but I was never overwhelmed and it actually provided some cat and mouse shootouts in my experience this weekend.

Also, the Darkzone is a lot of nervous fun.

Played a bunch of solo Dark Zone, whereas my experience with the closed beta was pretty much all in a squad of 4. Solo is way different and your options are a little more limited, eg going rogue is suicidal and you want to avoid large groups of players. It was still fun and a lot more tense, but playing in a team definitely seems like the way to go.

Dark Zone needs something though, maybe more NPC's. I spent just a little too much time running down empty streets, and that's not fun or interesting. There was more than enough room to add enemies without making players feel like they're being constantly assaulted.

Sponginess doesn't bother me because they've obviously made that decision consciously, and I'm excited to imagine all the directions combat will branch out once all of the skills are available.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 01:59 AM)
Did you actually play it? I found it far less "spongey" than the youtube video of other people I saw playing. Sure, it takes far more bullets than most games, but I was never overwhelmed and it actually provided some cat and mouse shootouts in my experience this weekend.

Also, the Darkzone is a lot of nervous fun.

Yes I did. It's not that ridiculous, but the lack of enemy stagger and the combination of them running out in the open is annoying. The AI uses a dumb strategy: running out in the open in the middle of a fire fight and then gets rewarded because you can't punish them for it. Yeah, you get some free shots and can occasionally get enough hits to put them down when they run at you, but the fact that they don't stagger when you're hitting them is stupid.

It just seems like a game that is fighting itself. The setting and the premise are super cool and engaging. Then you have these super stupid enemies that really take away from the immersion the rest of the game brings. Also, stop it with the damn numbers when I hit an enemy. It's hard enough to see, which is a fair choice to make, but don't make it harder to see because there are number popping out of a guy's head.

I think I'm more disappointed because of what that game could be instead of what it actually is. I'm not sure if that's fair or not.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
Yes I did. It's not that ridiculous, but the lack of enemy stagger and the combination of them running out in the open is annoying. The AI uses a dumb strategy: running out in the open in the middle of a fire fight and then gets rewarded because you can't punish them for it. Yeah, you get some free shots and can occasionally get enough hits to put them down when they run at you, but the fact that they don't stagger when you're hitting them is stupid.

It just seems like a game that is fighting itself. The setting and the premise are super cool and engaging. Then you have these super stupid enemies that really take away from the immersion the rest of the game brings. Also, stop it with the damn numbers when I hit an enemy. It's hard enough to see, which is a fair choice to make, but don't make it harder to see because there are number popping out of a guy's head.

I think I'm more disappointed because of what that game could be instead of what it actually is. I'm not sure if that's fair or not.

That's fine. I felt the same way about Destiny - I knew an hour into the beta that the game wasn't for me. It's been the exact opposite with The Division. I don't think I can explain why.

Regarding numbers popping out of enemies, as a Borderlands vet that makes me feel right at home. =)

Might I recommend anyone with MLB 15 The Show go grab the latest OS rosters update. Not a whole hell of a lot will change with regards to the player universe, and this beats spending $65 for new rosters in a month.

I am enjoying the Abreu / Frazier combo.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
Might I recommend anyone with MLB 15 The Show go grab the latest OS rosters update. Not a whole hell of a lot will change with regards to the player universe, and this beats spending $65 for new rosters in a month.

I am enjoying the Abreu / Frazier combo.

Honestly, Sounds of the Show being back is enough for me to shell out 65 for the new game. That, and the new scoreboards at USCF, which reportedly will be included.

The New Diamond Dyansty will be a lot better as well. The only problem with The Show is that the online gameplay kind of blows, even compared to EA games like FIFA and Madden. Fielder lag is probably the biggest issue. On your screen, it may look like your opponent dropped the ball, when in reality, he caught it. It's pretty annoying.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)

That's a pretty fair point and one that I agree with.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 01:03 AM)
Why aren't you guys buying your games on Amazon Prime or Costco? $48 and $49.99 respectively.

If you buy a lot of games, then Best Buy's Gamers Unlocked program is the way to go. New games are 20% off ($48) plus you get $10 in rewards certificates if you also pre-buy the game.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 07:15 AM)
If you buy a lot of games, then Best Buy's Gamers Unlocked program is the way to go. New games are 20% off ($48) plus you get $10 in rewards certificates if you also pre-buy the game.

I believe he buys every game.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 07:15 AM)

Nah, I typically only buy 2 or 3 games a year (The Show, NHL and one other random game) so it wouldn't really make sense for someone like me who doesn't typically buy or even play games that often.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
Nah, I typically only buy 2 or 3 games a year (The Show, NHL and one other random game) so it wouldn't really make sense for someone like me who doesn't typically buy or even play games that often.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 01:45 AM)
Ho-lee Humble Bundle..... :o

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Just got the $15 one.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Grow Home

Rayman Origins

Far Cry 3

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China

Assassin's Creed Rogue

The Crew

For $15. :o

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 02:15 AM)
Just Cause 3 is a whole lotta fun.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
Firewatch released today! Got a 9.3 on IGN. I think I'm going to take a few days to knock that out and then go back to Just Cause 3.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
Oh, and the Humble Bundle adding 2 more games to their Ubisoft package, it's now....

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Grow Home

Rayman Origins

Far Cry 3

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China

Assassin's Creed Rogue

The Crew

PLUS

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

All for $15.

In addition to FC3 being one of my top 3 favorite games on the PS3, Blood Dragon is the best DLC I've ever played, even better than Red Dead's Undead Nightmare.