2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
When does free agency start?

Next monday, officially

But like always, deals are reported before the official date

Marques Colston was just cut by the Saints

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
March 9th 12pm.

I guess we are both right

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/...gency_star.html

On Monday (March 7), teams are allowed to begin contacting and negotiating with players who are set to become unrestricted free agents.

However, teams are not allowed to formally agree to contracts until March 9 at 3 p.m. Central time (4 p.m. Eastern). A flurry of news usually leaks within minutes, suggesting not all teams adhere strictly to the rule.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
Where are you hearing these rumors?

I wouldn't mind getting a little more speed on the edge, but the Houston/Young combo combined for 12 sacks. That's pretty solid. Houston himself had 8, you'd think someone would be interested in making a trade if they do wanna get rid of him.

I've seen Vernon mentioned by Aaron Leming, Hoge. Biggs had a snippet in his column about a Texans FO guy talking about Lamarr Houston being released by Bears possibly. I don't really agree with it either. He was pretty productive once healthy last year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
Yup. Like you said, that 2 day grace period let's teams/players negotiate/agree to deals, then become official on Wednesday.

Many of those free agent deals were already consummated at the Scouting Combine. That's where it begins.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
Many of those free agent deals were already consummated at the Scouting Combine. That's where it begins.

Ahh ok, I did not know that.

Hopefully Bears can get a deal done with Jeffery, and lower that cap hit for this year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
Boone fits that mold too where he's young (28, turning 29 in May) to be a part of the core group on that OL.

Twenty-eight (nine) is not young for an NFL lineman.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
It's not old either. He can easily have 4-5 good years left barring any major injuries.

Sounds like Bushrod, but less talented. He'd maybe have 2 good seasons out of a 4 year deal.

Don't offensive linemen typically last awhile in the NFL?

IMO, Bushrod was never really that talented to begin with. I still remember the PFF article that called the move from Webb to Bushrod a lateral move. I remember that year I bought NFL field pass or redzone or whatever it was that allowed me to go back and watch every game and I watched a lot of Bushrod. He got help from a OG/TE/RB/6th offensive linemen on a large majority of plays.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
Not enough in this environment. I bet he's asking for $15 million per year. Bears are probably offering $11-$12 million hence the wide gap. I think right around $13 million probably get its done. 5 years $65 million with $36+ million in guaranteed $$.

I dunno, that's like Bryant/Thomas money. He had a bad year last year in the durability category. I'd say $12 million per is max.

With the young talent coming out at the receiver position every year, I'm shocked the market for these guys hasn't softened yet.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
I dunno, that's like Bryant/Thomas money. He had a bad year last year in the durability category. I'd say $12 million per is max.

With the young talent coming out at the receiver position every year, I'm shocked the market for these guys hasn't softened yet.

I think the Bears will have to tag him twice if they are insistent on $12 per. No reason for him to do that. Thomas' deal was for $70 million and $45 million guaranteed. What I proposed is slightly less than that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
I think the Bears will have to tag him twice if they are insistent on $12 per. No reason for him to do that. Thomas' deal was for $70 million and $45 million guaranteed. What I proposed is slightly less than that.

Couple of easy reasons why it makes sense

1) The guaranteed money will more than cover the double Franchise money

2) The chance of an injury derailing a career or hurting value always looms

Especially point 1. Alshon is not as good as Dez Bryant.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Couple of easy reasons why it makes sense

1) The guaranteed money will more than cover the double Franchise money

2) The chance of an injury derailing a career or hurting value always looms

Especially point 1. Alshon is not as good as Dez Bryant.

Nobody said he was but he'd get close to it on the open market. Dez and Demaryius signed identical 5 year $70 million deals with $45 gtd. I said earlier that Jeffery would get 5/65/38. It's not the same $$

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
Boone fits that mold too where he's young (28, turning 29 in May) to be a part of the core group on that OL.

No on Alex Boone, hell no. He'll drink himself onto the bench in Chicago

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
Looks like Vonn Bell may have torn his hamstring at the Combine. He will slip quite a bit and will end up a "steal"

Wonder how far he'll fall now.

Torn hamstring would mean he'd miss all of the 2016 season, right?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
Wonder how far he'll fall now.

Torn hamstring would mean he'd miss all of the 2016 season, right?

Not necessarily. A tear in the midsubstance would take 12-14 weeks. If the tendon tore off the bone then it's a bigger issue.

I know it's not a huge position of need, but knowing how John Fox loves having multiple RB's and how our RB coach used to be OSU's RB coach, who apparently get's all the credit from Elliot for Elliot turning into the beast that he is; does anyone here think it's even a possibility that the Bears could draft Elliot in the 1st?