2016-2017 NFL Thread

Via Adam Tiecher @adamteicher

Wow. Chiefs have been docked two draft picks for their premature contract agreement last year with free agent WR Jeremy Maclin 6m

DAAAAAAMMMNNNNN

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've long been a proponent of finding a RT so we can move Long back to RG. Glad the Bears saw it that way too. Massie is a solid vet. I see him as a Fred Miller-type of signing (albeit much younger than Fred - just similar type of expectations).

It's nice that we have Trevathan and Massie during the prime years of their careers.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
Way too much for Porter and Massie. Love the Trevathan signing though

I mean...when every contract that's being signed is way too much, that's kind of just the market then.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
Way too much for Porter and Massie. Love the Trevathan signing though

Porter was sneaky good last year IMO, when you look at the contracts other CBs are getting, I would say he got a fair deal.

Massie I'm unsure of as far as his monetary value goes. He seems to have been an up and down player throughout his career. Hopefully teaming up with Long, who he trains with in the off-season, will push him to be more up than down.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
Porter was sneaky good last year IMO, when you look at the contracts other CBs are getting, I would say he got a fair deal.

Massie I'm unsure of as far as his monetary value goes. He seems to have been an up and down player throughout his career. Hopefully teaming up with Long, who he trains with in the off-season, will push him to be more up than down.

Porter was good for about 11-12 games. He's already 30 and often injured. QB's had a 108 QB rating when throwing at him. They could have done better especially for that much money

@bradbiggs

#Bears contract for LB Danny Trevathan short of the $28M range. Total value is $24.5M with $12M guarannted and $5M signing bonus.

Trevathan has $1.5M base salary this season with $3.5M roster bonus. He has annual workout bonuses worth $100K each season.

2017 base $2M

2018 base $5.8M

2019 base $5.8M plus $500K roster bonus

Trevathan base salaries in 2016 and 2017 are fully guaranteed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap/

With the top 51 contracts, it looks like the Bears still have around 40 million left in cap room.

They don't have Massie on there, but I just added 6 million to the total.

EDIT: I lied. They don't have the Porter, Becton, or Rodgers resigning. So probably around 33-34 million in cap.

Still expect the release of Bennett and Rolle which would create another 7 million

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 11:15 PM)
How can you say this without knowing the guaranteed money?

My thoughts exactly. In the NFL, it's all about the guaranteed money. Massie getting 3 years, $18M is not bad considering I bet about $10M at most is guaranteed. Though I really do think he'll live up to that contract. With the increase in the cap (and the projected increased over the next few years), $6M for a starting RT isn't bad at all.

To note: Travathan only got $12M guaranteed. And I'm sure Porter's guaranteed portion is in the single digits.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
@bradbiggs

#Bears contract for LB Danny Trevathan short of the $28M range. Total value is $24.5M with $12M guarannted and $5M signing bonus.

Trevathan has $1.5M base salary this season with $3.5M roster bonus. He has annual workout bonuses worth $100K each season.

2017 base $2M

2018 base $5.8M

2019 base $5.8M plus $500K roster bonus

Trevathan base salaries in 2016 and 2017 are fully guaranteed.

What are we missing here? Does the rest of the league think he was overrated? That seems like a steal? On a sidenote, why the f*** are we backloading the deal? Why, when we have a bagillion bucks in cap space, wouldn't we front load the deal a bit more (I realize it poses some risk if a player stinks, but still, we have tons of cap space).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 10:55 PM)
What are we missing here? Does the rest of the league think he was overrated? That seems like a steal? On a sidenote, why the f*** are we backloading the deal? Why, when we have a bagillion bucks in cap space, wouldn't we front load the deal a bit more (I realize it poses some risk if a player stinks, but still, we have tons of cap space).

It sets him up to have barely any guaranteed money in the last 2 years. I expect him to be good and play out the contract but most of that $12 million is in the first 2 years.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 07:32 AM)
It sets him up to have barely any guaranteed money in the last 2 years. I expect him to be good and play out the contract but most of that $12 million is in the first 2 years.

really, in year two he only has 2M guaranteed. The way this thing is structured, they can send him packing after two years and not sweat it at all. And they can let him play the entire contract out and it is very affordable.

He does have some injury history, but I don't think anything major. This is probably one of the better drafts in recent history for ILB and OLB. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Still a pretty good deal for the Bears. I thought he would get more money.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
Via Adam Tiecher @adamteicher

Wow. Chiefs have been docked two draft picks for their premature contract agreement last year with free agent WR Jeremy Maclin 6m

DAAAAAAMMMNNNNN

They are appealing it, which they should, because it's complete bulls***.

Ignoring the fact that every team does it, it just doesn't make sense. Detroit got hit with tampering a few years ago, they were docked a 6th round pick and forced to swap 5th rounders. SF got docked a 5th rounder and had to swap 3rd rounders. So both teams just lost one pick (5th/6th) and had to swap with the other team in the same round. KC loses TWO picks, with one being a 3rd rounder in 2 months.

Atlanta lost a 5th rounder for illegally pumping in crowd noise during games. Cleveland lost no picks for their sideline cell phone use.

Clark Hunt has always been one of Goodell's most supportive allies, so it really is weird how the NFL is choosing them to make an example out of. In Troy Vincent's statement he even acknowledges that Kansas City was fully cooperative and had no past history of league violations. So would these penalties have been even worse otherwise? The NFL is wildly inconsistent and they apparently are now going to get to have another legal battle with another franchise because of their absurdity. Good job, Roger!

edit: Also, new Eagles coach Doug Pederson was publicly talking about Chase Daniel for weeks leading up to the signing period. Then Chase Daniel signs with the Eagles. Not sure how that's not tampering.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

They expect the cap to go up a lot soon.