2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)
He's coming off a second ACL tear in 3 years. Been pretty underwhelming his whole career and has character questions (Pace has been very adament about that). But he does know Fangio's system (pretty good with him as a young player) so I could see it.

Yeah, Instead about his off the field stuff after posting that.

According to rotoworld he was "Excellent" in 2014 with Fangio so there's that.

Fangio presumably got McDonald in here with off the field stuff, but that obviously blew up.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 2, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
I don't get why they released Matt Slauson. It's not like they were up against the cap. Slauson was pretty good last year. Now you just handed the job to a rookie. At least them battle it out.

Bears left side of the line is now Leno and Whitehair.

The best explanation I've seen given is that they wanted smaller, quicker players to play in their zone blocking scheme and Slauson wasn't the best fit for that. I still don't necessarily understand it personally.

Because this was such a deep draft class, it's hard to find a team getting a bad draft grade. Even a few bad picks are at least offset by a some prospects graders can get behind.

That said, for me the vikes/jags/bengals are cream of the crop.

The Browns have to have gotten a few good players, by sheer volume. Every team drafts busts in every draft, but when you have twice as many chances as most other teams, you're gonna get some of them right even by accident.

Now do the Browns know what to do with those players? Open question.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
The Browns have to have gotten a few good players, by sheer volume. Every team drafts busts in every draft, but when you have twice as many chances as most other teams, you're gonna get some of them right even by accident.

Now do the Browns know what to do with those players? Open question.

That said I look at theirs and am kind of meh. They took a lot of players that I see and thought "mehh, they could be good?". I like what they did with the draft in accumulation though.

But not surprised they took so many WRs after Hue Jackson basically called his WR group a bunch of dwarfs.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
That said I look at theirs and am kind of meh. They took a lot of players that I see and thought "mehh, they could be good?". I like what they did with the draft in accumulation though.

But not surprised they took so many WRs after Hue Jackson basically called his WR group a bunch of dwarfs.

They could easily have 2 top 5 picks next year though.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)

" Our WR group are a bunch of dwarfs".....drafts 5'10" WR in the 1st.

Oh Browns.

I'm not a Ryan Pace apologist (I learned that lesson the hard way) and I don't give him the benefit of the doubt on anything, but I liked his approach to the draft this year. It's impossible, and completely pointless, to make too much about drafts right after they happen, but they addressed (most of) their needs and got good value for them all with some extra picks.

I'd say their big needs going in, in order, were:

Pass rush (5 technique, DE, I don't really care where it came from): This is what the Floyd pick was addressing, as well as Bullard in the 3rd

Safety (Bush)

TE

LB (Kwiatkoski)

CB (Hall)

QB (Raiders had other plans for Cook, but Hoyer is fine)

The Bears front 7 is going to be vastly different from last year. The linebacker play was downright horrible last year and the anemic pass rush made the secondary look worse than it was. The roster wasn't ready to run Fangio's defense yet. They got probably twice as many pieces now.

I like the Northern Iowa pick most, he may be a complete slow turtle, but Donatell loves that body type.

I kind of am a Pace apologist. Emery talked a lot about process but didn't seem to actually reform our processes. Pace seems to be creating organizational unity and buy-in, which even if it swings and misses can pivot easier.

I love getting Kwiatkowski because it's so ridiculous now to assume you'll have your starters playing even 16 games. We saw what happened last year "OMG Jeffrey, Royal, White!"

The Dline and Linebackers are now full of a bunch of different looks. It is getting closer.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
I like the Northern Iowa pick most, he may be a complete slow turtle, but Donatell loves that body type.

I kind of am a Pace apologist. Emery talked a lot about process but didn't seem to actually reform our processes. Pace seems to be creating organizational unity and buy-in, which even if it swings and misses can pivot easier.

I love getting Kwiatkowski because it's so ridiculous now to assume you'll have your starters playing even 16 games. We saw what happened last year "OMG Jeffrey, Royal, White!"

The Dline and Linebackers are now full of a bunch of different looks. It is getting closer.

That's my reaction to the Floyd pick. That reminds me of the year the Chiefs drafted Dontari Poe. I remember them being mocked for reaching and he did nothing his rookie year buried on the depth chart. Nooooobody questions that pick now. Poe is a monster. They knew what they saw.

I think a lot of fans look at the draft and expect everyone drafted to be instant impact guys, and that's the exception, guys don't come out dominating like Randy Moss and Jevon Kearse, they take time to get coached up and adjust to the game.

That said, the Bears have had 2 offseasons under this GM/coach so the standard now should be, at a minimum, relevance in playoff discussions come Thanksgiving or so.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 3, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
That's my reaction to the Floyd pick. That reminds me of the year the Chiefs drafted Dontari Poe. I remember them being mocked for reaching and he did nothing his rookie year buried on the depth chart. Nooooobody questions that pick now. Poe is a monster. They knew what they saw.

I think a lot of fans look at the draft and expect everyone drafted to be instant impact guys, and that's the exception, guys don't come out dominating like Randy Moss and Jevon Kearse, they take time to get coached up and adjust to the game.

That said, the Bears have had 2 offseasons under this GM/coach so the standard now should be, at a minimum, relevance in playoff discussions come Thanksgiving or so.

Unfortunately we were relevant in playoff discussion on Thanksgiving last year and then promptly lost the rest of our games :)

QUOTE (bmags @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
Unfortunately we were relevant in playoff discussion on Thanksgiving last year and then promptly lost the rest of our games :)

lol, maybe I should set a higher, more specific standard. like "win a mimimum of 9 games" (which I feel is low. This roster as constructed could win 11)

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ May 2, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
KC Chiefs with yet another solid draft. I'm stoked about Chris Jones because he's going to be a force inside for years to come.

The only pick I didn't like was late in the draft they took a returner that is a piece of s***. Beat his pregnant girlfriend awhile back. That's not a good look for the team considering they just had a player in 2012 kill his girfriend and himself. Other than that nonsense, it was a good draft.

This team is absolutely loaded on defense. Going to need it because Smith won't win us s***. Going to have to pull a Denver this year.

I liked the draft too. Jones under Andy Reid could become a stud and the corners they got I think can contribute day 1. I especially loved the Russell pick. He would have been a much higher pick if he didn't have the off field concerns.

As for the returner, I'm over it. 20 teams went to his workout so it's not like they are all holier than thou. If the Chiefs didn't pick him he'd be on someone else's roster right now. It's a business. I want the Chiefs to win. I'd prefer if they won by being the most respected team in the league, but I'll settle for them winning. He's getting a second chance, but if he has even the slightest transgression just cut him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
I'm not a Ryan Pace apologist (I learned that lesson the hard way) and I don't give him the benefit of the doubt on anything, but I liked his approach to the draft this year. It's impossible, and completely pointless, to make too much about drafts right after they happen, but they addressed (most of) their needs and got good value for them all with some extra picks.

I'd say their big needs going in, in order, were:

Pass rush (5 technique, DE, I don't really care where it came from): This is what the Floyd pick was addressing, as well as Bullard in the 3rd

Safety (Bush)

TE

LB (Kwiatkoski)

CB (Hall)

QB (Raiders had other plans for Cook, but Hoyer is fine)

The Bears front 7 is going to be vastly different from last year. The linebacker play was downright horrible last year and the anemic pass rush made the secondary look worse than it was. The roster wasn't ready to run Fangio's defense yet. They got probably twice as many pieces now.

Laugh if you want, but Ben Braunecker is that TE fill. He would have been a good pick in the 5th or 6th. He's a mean player who blocks very well and so is a perfect to Miller. The UDFA signing of him + Roy Robertson Harris are like two extra 6th round picks.

BTW, I'd much rather have Hoyer now than Cook. Let's say the Bears start 8-4 and Cutler is out for 2 weeks with an injury. I'd much rather see Hoyer out there than a 4th round rookie.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 5, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
I'd give my kid the exact same lecture. By harsh, you mean give her kid a dose of reality (and keeps them grounded), then yes.

Keeping the families very involved in the program has really been a good move, they sit in on player evals every year. I love parents that still rule the roost for this entitled stars.

Now that draft is over I basically just seek out opinions that validate the Bears are gonna be gr8. McShay on his podcast said Bears and Ravens had the best draft, and said Floyd could be DROY.

So, superbowl.

I am trying to get in the mindset that we may have coaches who can develop raw talent. Lovie was a good defensive coach, but the fact that our pro scouting was so much better than amateur leads me to believe he was better at refining fairly finished products.