2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)
He failed as a 33 year old head coach and even then he did have a .500 season followed by a bad year with Tebow/Orton at QB (and the .500 year was with Orton IIRC). I think he was one of those people who if he looks back, probably learned a lot from that experience and should be in a great position to be a really good head coach. And while he handled the Cutler thing wrong...was he really wrong on Cutler?

At the time, he had absolutely no basis for believing anything one way or the other about Cutler, that was purely his ego. In '09 Cutler had everything going for him, had the support of his coaches and his management who knew what he needed to succeed to coach bad habits out of him and then he went to the Bears, who thought he was a finished product and didn't really even bother trying.

Ted Sundquist wrote a comprehensive piece about where Cutler was at in his career just before the trade: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2580349...ened-from-there

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 09:52 PM)
He was the best ever at what he did. If they need to put some sort of exception in for him, they should

He should get there but the "limit of 6 players entering the HOF per year" means he's going to constantly be going up against all the other positions.

To note - I hate that limit. Too low.

Tough call on Hester to the HOF.

Very exciting player, but it depends on how they value returners. I think he would be the first.

He also did most of his damage in his first two years in the league. After those years, he had one kick off returned for TD.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
Tough call on Hester to the HOF.

Very exciting player, but it depends on how they value returners. I think he would be the first.

He also did most of his damage in his first two years in the league. After those years, he had one kick off returned for TD.

That's because they changed the rules because of him and coaches stopped kicking to him completely, that's why he stopped returning kicks

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
That's because they changed the rules because of him and coaches stopped kicking to him completely, that's why he stopped returning kicks

What rule did they change because of him?

Are you talking about this one?

NFL moves up kickoff to 35-yard line

Cause that one was done for player safety.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
What rule did they change because of him?

Are you talking about this one?

NFL moves up kickoff to 35-yard line

Cause that one was done for player safety.

I should have put rules in quotes, what i mean is coaches changed their strategies based on him. Teams kicked kickoffs out of bounds trying to keep it out of his hands, field position was gladly given away in order to keep the ball out of his hands.

And the above NFL rule pretty much made sure he wasnt going to return any kicks anymore unless a team was really stupid, and by that point everyone wasnt going to be the one that kicked to him anymore.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 05:16 PM)
Done with what?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2680788...ng-unemployment

"John Fox is likely gone, the coaches and officials with whom B/R spoke believe. One of the names that has come up for this spot is Lions offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter."

I don't see the Bears dumping Fox for at least one more season tho

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2680788...ng-unemployment

"John Fox is likely gone, the coaches and officials with whom B/R spoke believe. One of the names that has come up for this spot is Lions offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter."

I don't see the Bears dumping Fox for at least one more season tho

If we dump him for Jim Bob Cooter, I'll be pissed. Fox probably will too, since he had tried to hire him IIRC. Either way, first order of business should be to make sure front office is willing and able to make Fangio one of, if not the highest paid assistant in the league. Will be interesting if there is truth to this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
I don't get firing a coach in the middle of a rebuild. But then again the Bears are a s*** show.

It's amazing how in Chicago you see the dichotomy between well run franchises and terrible ones

Just remember what was before Fox came in.

I don't love Fox, but compared to what he walked into, it's 180 degrees different.