2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
They showed the huddle before the last play, and Rodgers was talking to one of the receivers and using his arm to illustrate the route.

I'm a Bears fan, but I have always had a hard time rooting against both Favre and Rodgers.

I was hoping KC would win so I'd have a team to pull for (something about the Falcons I've never liked), but I guess I have to root for the Falcons from this point.

I couldn't agree more.

Always respected both immensely, despite wanting to beat them.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
Agreed. I think Rodgers has a very good argument for the best ever despite the lack of rings.

Which kind of begs the question: Are the Packers as an organization holding Aaron Rodgers back? It seems like every year they are a flawed team. Is a change needed at GM?

I respect Rodgers and believe he is the best in the game and possibly the best ever. He is a great competitor, fun to watch, seems like a cool enough guy except for his family issues which are weird but nonetheless a good dude. He makes funny commercials and is a great representative of the game.

But I hate that motherf***er.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
I respect Rodgers and believe he is the best in the game and possibly the best ever. He is a great competitor, fun to watch, seems like a cool enough guy except for his family issues which are weird but nonetheless a good dude. He makes funny commercials and is a great representative of the game.

But I hate that motherf***er.

We need an upvote button so I can upvote the crap out of this post.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
I always despised Favre with a passion, but I just love watching Rodgers play despite that ugly, ugly, ugly uniform he wears.

Why do you think you despised Favre? Just because you were younger?

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
Which kind of begs the question: Are the Packers as an organization holding Aaron Rodgers back? It seems like every year they are a flawed team. Is a change needed at GM?

Sounds like that change is coming. Word is that Thompson is going to move into a senior scouting role so they can promote Eliot Wolf before he goes elsewhere.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 05:45 PM)
Why do you think you despised Favre? Just because you were younger?

Actually, yes. That's exactly what I was thinking about when I typed it. When you are young, it's a lot harder to see past the green helmet. Although I doubt I would be as positive about him as I am Rodgers, he just seemed different.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 06:17 PM)
Favre was also quite the diva and no where near as good as Aaron. I'm not a Bears fan so I don't hate the Packers but I was never a fan of Favre and I love watching Rodgers play.

Who are you a fan of so I can hate that team too?

LOL

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 05:50 PM)
Sounds like that change is coming. Word is that Thompson is going to move into a senior scouting role so they can promote Eliot Wolf before he goes elsewhere.

I certainly hope so. Thompson and McCarthy have gotten away with being very mediocre due to the fact that they have had back to back Hall of Fame QB's on their team to cover for glaring holes.

For example, their #1 corner has been out since week 1 and they have not done anything to even bring in some depth to cover for that huge loss. Thankfully vets like Micah Hyde have stepped up to at least be a serviceable bandage.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 05:26 PM)
I always despised Favre with a passion, but I just love watching Rodgers play despite that ugly, ugly, ugly uniform he wears.

I agree with this 100%. I hate him v the Bears but outside of that he is so f***ing good.

I wish I could view the cubs like this

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
I certainly hope so. Thompson and McCarthy have gotten away with being very mediocre due to the fact that they have had back to back Hall of Fame QB's on their team to cover for glaring holes.

For example, their #1 corner has been out since week 1 and they have not done anything to even bring in some depth to cover for that huge loss. Thankfully vets like Micah Hyde have stepped up to at least be a serviceable bandage.

Who would you have liked they brought in at CB?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
I think this is a very fair ranking of talent in this draft and this is why the Bears cannot risk a QB as high as their pick is IMO.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000077...-2017-nfl-draft

Bears taking a quarterback at 3 based on what we know would be disastrous. Overdrafting by 12 spots? I would fire everyone.

Edited by Sox-35th

At the time of their drafts, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees would have been considered pretty big reaches at pick #3.

If everyone performs to their pre draft ranking, then the Bears shouldn't take a QB at 3. One thing is for sure, they can make the playoffs with a game manager, but for some sustained success, they need a star.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
I agree with this 100%. I hate him v the Bears but outside of that he is so f***ing good.

I wish I could view the cubs like this

I always liked watching Favre play too. Hated how he killed the Bears, but those two Packers QB's have been on my short list of favorite players to watch play.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
This draft could be a really good one. There is a ton of talent. TE, OLB, CB, S, DL, ILB. Just about everything outside of OL.

I would want 10 picks for this draft.

My feeling exactly, trade down fill in the holes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
At the time of their drafts, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees would have been considered pretty big reaches at pick #3.

If everyone performs to their pre draft ranking, then the Bears shouldn't take a QB at 3. One thing is for sure, they can make the playoffs with a game manager, but for some sustained success, they need a star.

Problem is for every Brady, Rodgers, and Brees, there are about 100 teams that set themselves back 5 years choosing the wrong guy.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)

Thompson has been a pretty good GM overall. Aside from his annoying refusal to plug obvious holes with free agents (one of mine and many GB fans' pet peeves), he has done a good job drafting particularly in the later rounds. He recognized the secondary needed help a few years ago and spent their first pick in 2014 and first two picks in 2015 attempting to address this need. His biggest mistake last offseason was placing too much faith in Randall and Rollins (top two picks from 2015) while letting Hayward walk. Also, trusting Shields to get through an entire season given his injury history. This team would be much better with Hayward still on the team and they could have easily afforded him.

http://www.packers.com/history/draft-history.html

I am indifferent on McCarthy and the rest of the coaching staff. There are worse coaches out there for sure but there are also a number of better coaches. I know many GB fans despise Capers but in general the coaching staff is kinda just blah to me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)

Rodgers was a consensus top 3-5 pick in that draft. Hell, Kiper Jr. had him only slightly behind Alex Smith in that draft and that was only because he felt Smith was more NFL ready off the bat. Rodgers just happened to slip in the draft because every other team was set (or believed they were) at QB. (Kind of like Greg Olsen falling to the Bears lap and other players as well) And guys like Brady and Brees are not the usual standard. Noone and I mean noone would've predicted Brady to be the player that he is. One of the rare players who was way better in the NFL than in college. And Brees had questions about his height which was very common during that time.

Edited by SoxAce