2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
The more they have opened up the playbook, the worst he has looked. He has zero arm strength so he has to anticipate where his receivers will be more than most. Most of his picks seem to be putting the ball into an area where the WR doesn't end up going.

I lost count of how many were tipped by Bears WOs

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
Bleacher Report NFL ‏@BR_NFL 14m14 minutes ago

Patriots reportedly asking for 1st-and 4th-round pick in any trade discussions for QB Jimmy Garroppolo http://ble.ac/2iqW8X6

Bears? He would be better than any guy coming out this year right?

No. After Matt Cassell, I really wonder if these guys are system QB's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
No. After Matt Cassell, I really wonder if these guys are system QB's.

I agree. Belichick is the league's best coach bar none, and you do have to worry about a decline in play away from him.

If the Bears were like picking 29th, then maybe I would start to consider it. Maybe. But zero chance I'd give up a top 5 pick on him.

Cassell and Garrappalo's situations couldnt be more different, really. Garrappalo has played in 2 games, Cassell got an entire season, Garrappalo was a 2nd round pick with a solid college career and draft hype, Cassell was a college backup that was expected to hold a clipboard for his career if not be a practice squad player. I think Garrappalo has a chance to be a good QB in the league, and I think the Patriots believe it also. Hard to call him a system QB if he hasnt really played in the system tho

I dont want the Bears to drop a 1st and 4th on him though

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
Hypothetically speaking if Garrapolo was released from the Pats and placed in this years draft. Wouldnt you strongly consider taking him at 3 if you are the Bears?

I would, but right now we are talking about two draft picks, not one

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
I would, but right now we are talking about two draft picks, not one

If we are only talking about a 4, in my eyes that is expendable if you really believe he is your franchise QB.

Hypothetically speaking if Garrapolo was released from the Pats and placed in this years draft. Wouldnt you strongly consider taking him at 3 if you are the Bears?

That's not really a reasonable point of comparison though. Garrapolo has 1 year left and then he gets paid based on a single year's sample size. Whoever the Bears draft at 3 (or in the 2nd round), they control for 4 years.

This is apples to oranges though. Garoppolo is older than the QB prospects and will cost a hell of a lot more in a contract. Would you rather have 21 year old QB making Peanuts or 26 year old QB making big $$?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
What if the Bears traded down in the first round? A 1 and a 4 then might make some sense.

I still don't think it does. Garrapolo plays for the Bears for peanuts for 1 year. Then they either have to franchise him at $20M+ or they have to give him a long term deal that probably starts at Osweiler money. And if he's bad in that year for the Bears, then they've given up a 1 and a 4 on a team that's starved for depth for a single year of a bad QB.

Realistically, the Bears only long-term answer at QB is through the draft...

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
This is apples to oranges though. Garoppolo is older than the QB prospects and will cost a hell of a lot more in a contract. Would you rather have 21 year old QB making Peanuts or 26 year old QB making big $$?

I would rather have them get their guy if they have strong convictions they've found their QB for the next decade. If he is good you will find that out before you have to pay him and when you do have to pay him at least you will know that you have your guy at the most important position in the game.