2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
McCaskey was on the radio this morning and basically said that he was told by Pace and Fox that the plan is going to take a while. They know they wont be contenders next year either. No surprise there though.

With a good draft and some luck in free agency, they could be a borderline playoff team. In terms of truly being competitive, yeah, they still have some big holes to fill.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
Dallas and Cleveland are interested. Now I know he won't amount to s***.

Run far away from any QB Cleveland is targeting.

Rumor has it Dallas is going to take Elliott with the 4th pick

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 07:17 AM)
No chance. I like a 5th is the best they'll do with a 6th most likely.

I still am of the personal opinion that I'd want a 4th for him. If I got a 5th, I'd need a future pick as well. That said, it seems very apparent that the Bears believe this is a longer rebuild than a one year build and that we are still a few years away. With that in mind, I think it makes it even more likely we look at QB early on.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
If you feel you are a few years away, why target big money free agents?

Something isn't jiving here.

I think they said specifically that they are not going to acquire "big money" FA's. I think they are looking to get some of these bigger name guys at a moderate cost. They aren't going to be big spenders when it comes to making huge splashes on individual players. At least going by what Pace says.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
If you feel you are a few years away, why target big money free agents?

Something isn't jiving here.

They don't feel that way. That's the owner buying time. They will be very active. They want to sign 25-26 year old free agents though. It makes sense because they have drafted so poorly that they don't have a bunch of their own players to re-sign in coming years. They should compete for a playoff spot next year with another solid draft and a good offseason. Fox and Pace haven't been talking like guys expecting for some long rebuild.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
I think they said specifically that they are not going to acquire "big money" FA's. I think they are looking to get some of these bigger name guys at a moderate cost. They aren't going to be big spenders when it comes to making huge splashes on individual players. At least going by what Pace says.

Bennett on a 1 year deal would be a nightmare. They want to move on. They'll either move him for a late pick or cut him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
I still am of the personal opinion that I'd want a 4th for him. If I got a 5th, I'd need a future pick as well. That said, it seems very apparent that the Bears believe this is a longer rebuild than a one year build and that we are still a few years away. With that in mind, I think it makes it even more likely we look at QB early on.

The problem is the Bears have very little leverage. Martellus has been known to be somewhat disruptive pretty much everywhere he has been, marches to his own beat, wants out, and is in the last year of his deal. In a vacuum a 4th would be nice, but I really would be surprised if they were able to get that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
The problem is the Bears have very little leverage. Martellus has been known to be somewhat disruptive pretty much everywhere he has been, marches to his own beat, wants out, and is in the last year of his deal. In a vacuum a 4th would be nice, but I really would be surprised if they were able to get that.

Marty has very little leverage too. If I were the Bears I am telling him we aren't trading you because we are getting nothing in return. You are going to have to play the year out dude.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)

Given all of that, it sounds more likely that he is just straight released.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
Franco Sports.

‏@Franco_Sports

ESPN's @DickersonESPN, calls Danny Trevathan the one FA the #Bears must sign. Stated, "instant upgrade at a position of need."

I agree.

Yep, IMO the biggest problem the Bears had was coverage in intermediate middle of the field. Adding Trevathan helps that immensely.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
Yep, IMO the biggest problem the Bears had was coverage in intermediate middle of the field. Adding Trevathan helps that immensely.

Yeah, I definitely agree. Trevathan and another lower tier LB or draft a LB could do wonders for this defense.

Bears are said to be interested in Akiem Hicks. If Malik Jackson is too expensive, Hicks would be my favorite 2nd option. 6'5" long 35" arms, solid against the run and offers some pass rush ability. Length on the DL is something the line lacked last year, would love to add Hicks and Chris Jones in the 2R. Jones is 6'6" with long 34" arms.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 06:57 PM)
Tomorrow is the day where teams start to talk to players, technically.

I forgot how last year went, but we hear about players visiting teams and agreeing to deals as early as tomorrow, correct?

Teams can start legally talking to players at 11am central time today. I would bet you start to hear rumors about what teams are talking to what players pretty quickly.