2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
If there were betting markets on this, I would put my money on the bears retaining Jeffery either through re-signing/franchising.

I agree, even if they dont plan on having him for this season or past this season, he is a valuable asset. It would be mind bogglingly stupid to just let him walk out the door

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 07:06 AM)
Schefter reporting that the Bears have made no decision on Jeffery and that he may hit the free agent market. I cant even express how stupid that is

If somehow this were true, than Pace needs to go immediately. I can't possibly believe this is true. This would be beyond stupid. Franchise him and move on. If you don't want to sign him, than use the leverage and trade him for picks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
If somehow this were true, than Pace needs to go immediately. I can't possibly believe this is true. This would be beyond stupid. Franchise him and move on. If you don't want to sign him, than use the leverage and trade him for picks.

That seems like it would be against the rules, applying the franchise tag and then removing him from the franchise.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
You sure? That seems highly unfair to the player.

Yes, 100% sure. It has happened tons of times over the years. Now the player needs to agree and usually you make the trade and they sign the tender and an extension at the time. Jared Allen, when he went to the Vikings, is an example. I believe when the Chiefs acquired Matt Cassell from the Pats, that was another example.

Rappaport also reporting that the Bears are moving on from Marty. Again, I find this absolutely foolish. We have little talent and have a major need to infuse other positions, yet we are going to create another need. Unless we can get real value in trade, it just doesn't make sense to me.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
Rappaport also reporting that the Bears are moving on from Marty. Again, I find this absolutely foolish. We have little talent and have a major need to infuse other positions, yet we are going to create another need. Unless we can get real value in trade, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Miller's health is a huge question. We better go get a cheaper pass catching TE if we let Bennett go.

Totally dumb to move on from him. He is weird and maybe a pain in the ass but the dude is a beast on the field in talent and effort. There were plenty of guys that quit in the Trestman final year and Marty was still out there putting his ass on the line. Is he hurt? What is the reason to move on from him other then you just dont like his personality? Its not like he is another BMarshall.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)

Reality is we should be able to get a 2nd rounder plus for Jeffrey. Probably wouldn't get a 1st rounder for him, but you might get a 2nd &3rd or even a 2nd and future 2nd for him or something along those lines? If we are going that route, I'd argue we are more in a full on rebuilding and thus it would probably make sense to consider moving Cutler and probably make it more possible that we would actually take a QB early in the draft. Similar, I presume we could get a 3rd to 4th for Marty, but the thing I don't get is, why make it so known we want him gone. I'd do the opposite but quietly shop him (maybe this is more to drive other teams to the Bears and truly play the market, which they presume will be pretty strong for a TE of Marty's skills).

The Bears seem to have an issue with holding on to talented tight ends.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
I wont be mad if they stock pile picks I suppose but good luck trying to replace guys like Marty and Alshon because its not going to be easy and you will be ripped apart if you dont find solid replacements.

Bennett will be a lot easier to replace than Alshon. Bennett's production last year was average before he got hurt.