2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

#Bears GM Ryan Pace says they are actively negotiating w/ WR Alshon Jeffery. Says Tag still an option.

Pace: #Bears never made an offer to RB Matt Forte. Told him their decision out of respect for him.

Pace: "We like Shea (McClellin)", also said they "like" Zach Miller & have had negotiations. Nothing sounded close, though. #Bears

Pace: I sense he wants to be here" Re: Alshon Jeffery. #Bears

#Bears seem to continue to be high on Shea McClellin. As I said during the season, I'd be shocked if he isn't brought back.

Absolutely no mention of TE Martellus Bennett. #Bears

Seems to be a growing feeling that TE Zach Miller will hit FA. Mutual interest in coming back but will be his only sizable contract Opp

Pace saying he feels Charles Leno is a "natural fit" at LT tells me Long stays at RT. Could draft competition for Leno. RG big need. #Bears

#Bears GM Ryan Pace has said they'll use the tag if needed. Until the deadline, it's not needed. No player has been tagged yet. Very telling

#Bears HC John Fox says that 2015 1st rounder Kevin White has been medically cleared.

Fox said it was best for both sides on Forte's departure. #Bears

Both Ryan Pace & John Fox with high praises for new OC Dowell Loggains. #Bears

#Bears HC John Fox also declining to elaborate on TE Martellus Bennett's future. Got the same "He's under contract" response.

#Bears HC John Fox said they are much "comfortable" w/ Cutler this year & also called him a "bright spot".

Don't ever sheeshkabobble me again Chisoxfn

I continue to be floored by the love that they have for Shea. I know Fangio is really high on him and obviously he knows more than I do but I just dont think he is a legit NFL starter. If he werent to sign with the Bears I dont know if there is another team out there willing to hand him a starting job. I could be wrong but I never seen anything other than some football intelligence with Shea.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
@rich_campbell

Bears GM Ryan Pace indicated TE Zach Miller, ILB Shea McClellin likely to hit the market but could come back at right price.

This tweet doesn't jive with the others. I choose to believe this one just Cruz Shea is booty. Hopefully "At the right price" = backup money and that is all he is.

I'm done with Shea McBooty. Bring in a couple new school LBs that can actually play the pass as well as the run.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 1m1 minute ago

#Bears will enter "dangerous water" that is free agency where #Browns FS Tashaun Gipson could interest them: http://trib.in/1oBRcAQ

So far this off season, Bears have been linked to Gipson, Trevathan, and Janoris Jenkins.

Not sure if he's put it here but Leming has mentioned TE Dwayne Allen, S Rodney McLeod, and OG Brandon Brooks as targets as well.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 10:20 PM)
Not sure if he's put it here but Leming has mentioned TE Dwayne Allen, S Rodney McLeod, and OG Brandon Brooks as targets as well.

Yes, you are correct. With the expected release of Bennett and Rolle, the Bears could still afford those 6 players and still have room to get a couple more guys.

Remember, last year Bears had half the cap space and signed 3 guys to multi year deals.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
Yes, you are correct. With the expected release of Bennett and Rolle, the Bears could still afford those 6 players and still have room to get a couple more guys.

Remember, last year Bears had half the cap space and signed 3 guys to multi year deals.

Bears will have around $65 million in space with a Bennett trade. Could get near $70 million if they wanted to slice Gould and Rolle.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
Bears will have around $65 million in space with a Bennett trade. Could get near $70 million if they wanted to slice Gould and Rolle.

Yeah, Bears are in really good shape to overhaul their defense and OL through free agency and the draft with how much cap space and 9 picks (could be more).

I'm very excited for this Bears off season.

#1 priority is sign Jeffery to a long term deal

#2 priority sign Trevathan

After thinking about the Bears situation I dont know if I would be mad if they traded Bennett and did a sign and trade with Alshon to gather a couple of early draft picks. This team is still at least two years away from competing for a super bowl and likley three years. Big picture would look better if they had a ton of picks and developed the team knowing there would be another season of growing pains next season.

Now this day and age there really isnt the luxury of time in building a team and having so many down years but if they made those two moves I would be excited that they had a shrewd plan and the balls to follow through.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
After thinking about the Bears situation I dont know if I would be mad if they traded Bennett and did a sign and trade with Alshon to gather a couple of early draft picks. This team is still at least two years away from competing for a super bowl and likley three years. Big picture would look better if they had a ton of picks and developed the team knowing there would be another season of growing pains next season.

Now this day and age there really isnt the luxury of time in building a team and having so many down years but if they made those two moves I would be excited that they had a shrewd plan and the balls to follow through.

Definitely disagree about being 2-3 years away. If things even go above average next year, Bears can win 10 games next year. With a good free agency class, good draft class, other players developing off of last year, and one of the easiest schedules in the league could make for a promising year.

Bears have a pretty good offense to build around with Langford, Jeffery, White, Saluson and Long to go along with good complimentary pieces. The Bears were competitive last year and lost multiple games but one score or less. With more speed and athleticism brought to this team, Bears can make more noise next year.

John Fox and Ryan Pace didn't come here to have a 4 year rebuild. Bears can compete next year and years to come based on this off season alone.

The Bears went from having the hardest schedule in the league last year to the easiest. They were on the wrong end of the close games record. They will be a very popular pick for the playoffs next year.

They had very low turnovers last year in a very new defense. Expect that to improve.

I will be very disappointed with no playoff birth next year.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
Problem the Bears have is they are behind two teams in their own division. They would need one of those teams to have a really bad year to pass them.

Again, I disagree big time. The Bears beat the Packers on Thanksgiving night when they honored Bart Starr and Brett Favre. With a good off season, players developing, and Cutler puts up similar numbers to last year, the Bears could win the division next year.

Edited by SoxPride18

I'm not trying to make this a Bears/Packers thing.

I just think the Vikings and Packers have more talent. I think the Vikings defense will be one of the better in the league and I think the Packers offense will go back to being top 5 next year.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
I'm not trying to make this a Bears/Packers thing.

I just think the Vikings and Packers have more talent. I think the Vikings defense will be one of the better in the league and I think the Packers offense will go back to being top 5 next year.

They no doubt have better talent right now, but the Bears can get it better, right? The Bears were fairly successful in brand new systems on offense and defense, especially defense where they might not of had the right personal.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 07:16 AM)
Yeah, Bears are in really good shape to overhaul their defense and OL through free agency and the draft with how much cap space and 9 picks (could be more).

I'm very excited for this Bears off season.

#1 priority is sign Jeffery to a long term deal

#2 priority sign Trevathan

I'm going to guess Long gets paid heavily sometime this off-season too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
The Bears went from having the hardest schedule in the league last year to the easiest. They were on the wrong end of the close games record. They will be a very popular pick for the playoffs next year.

They had very low turnovers last year in a very new defense. Expect that to improve.

I will be very disappointed with no playoff birth next year.

I am with you on that but the ultimate goal is the superbowl with the hope to be contenders every year. I am willing to give up two and maybe even three seasons to build a powerhouse through the draft. But that is no guarantee that they will hit on the draft picks so I am good either way. The Bears appear to at the very least moving in the right direction and operating as a legit franchise should.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
I am with you on that but the ultimate goal is the superbowl with the hope to be contenders every year. I am willing to give up two and maybe even three seasons to build a powerhouse through the draft. But that is no guarantee that they will hit on the draft picks so I am good either way. The Bears appear to at the very least moving in the right direction and operating as a legit franchise should.

Exactly. Just look at what the Browns and Jags have done recently.

Bears are not them. I definitely trust the process that Pace and Fox have instilled so far.