White Sox Sign Mat Latos

Princess Dye

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
No good reason to trade Johnson unless you are getting a good young RF for him. Odds are good you will need both him and Turner this year.

Unless you can get a certain maligned but talented Marlins' outfielder...would require more than Johnson and Garcia, though.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Anyway possible to build a package around Johnson for Puig?

And not being laughed out of the building?

_________

This is a low risk, low reward move IMO. I really don't see how a guy that hasn't pitched a full season in over four years is gonna turn it around abut hey Coop'el'fix'em right?

If someone gets hurt and he steps into the 5th starter role he has more upside than Beck or similar AAAA fodder so that's good but I'm not expecting much from him.

Edit: doh, looking at his B-Ref page all wrong. Well, he has been pitching full seasons. This is a better move than I thought.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
There is no such thing as low risk / high reward. Please stop it.

You can say it is a low-risk signing, because it is. It's only 1/$3M.

But the concept is high risk / high reward or low risk / low reward, because risk isn't about what happened in the end. It's about the chances of something happening in the future. If there is a high chance of a high reward, that person isn't signing for $3M. It is also about the LIKELY reward, since obviously ANY investment could go big or go bad. Same in baseball as any other investment.

So this is low risk / low reward. And that's fine.

Now go get a bloody right fielder.

While this entire argument is stupid, I will repeat that we're not talking equities here & MLB free agency is a constrained market. We're paying a guy to be a 0.5 WAR player who also has a chance of being a 3+ WAR player. While he may not reach his 3+ WAR ceiling, the probability of him not earning his contract is nearly impossible and the possibility of him greatly exceeding it (2 WAR seems like a realistic floor) is highly likely. By your very definition, it's a low risk/high reward signing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Sour grapes, but would have rather had Henderson Alvarez for 1.25 m more

Alvarez is a bit more of a gamble coming off the shoulder injury though. Shoulder injuries are really tricky to recover from, see John Danks.

He would have been teammates with Frazier, so there is at least some background there.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
While this entire argument is stupid, I will repeat that we're not talking equities here & MLB free agency is a constrained market. We're paying a guy to be a 0.5 WAR player who also has a chance of being a 3+ WAR player. While he may not reach his 3+ WAR ceiling, the probability of him not earning his contract is nearly impossible and the possibility of him greatly exceeding it (2 WAR seems like a realistic floor) is highly likely. By your very definition, it's a low risk/high reward signing.

Spot on.

Wasn't Danks at 1.8 last year?

On the current fa pitching market, that's supposedly worth $12-14 million.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
Low Risk/High Reward is definitely a thing.. the probability of high reward is very small but the cost of the player is so low that it's worth the shot..

Right, in this case he's not blocking a prospect and he's not taking a 25 man spot away from anyone that's a difference maker so there's not much opportunity cost there. It's three million, which is chicken scratch in today's market and he could possibly bounce back and have a 2-3 WAR season. It's a fine deal, they probably were able to convince him to sign based on playing time and Cooper.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
Latos may be an asshole, but this is a very solid move. Danks & Johnson competing against Latos for the #4 & #5 spots is way better than them competing against Turner and now we actually have some depth (assuming Johnson starts in AAA).

How many options does Johnson have left?

Do not confuse risk with price. Risk =/= Price. They're associated, but you also have to factor in the likelihood of different levels of performance.

A lottery ticket - a literal, actual lottery ticket - is high risk/high reward because even though it only costs a dollar, there is an overwhelmingly high chance of losing. The potential gain is great. Latos is closer to a lottery ticket than, I dunno, keeping your money under the mattress (which is low risk/low reward).

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but I think the chances of Latos being a dud are greater than people are admitting.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
If so, I like this. When Latos' arm blows up or if Danks is ineffective Johnson could see plenty of starts this year.

Johnson is wound pretty tight. I think he is going to be ready for spring training. If he earns a spot in the rotation but gets sent back to Charlotte, I think he could unravel. I was at Soxfest when he was talking about his routine. He sounded like he was in the military. If I were RH, if Johnson doesn't make the roster out of spring training through no fault of his own, I'm trading him. I think he may lose a screw if he's sent back to Charlotte if he deserved a spot on the major league team.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)

And even if the team struggles this year, Latos could also be a great deadline trade piece if he pitches even mediocre, because of his contract status.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Do not confuse risk with price. Risk =/= Price. They're associated, but you also have to factor in the likelihood of different levels of performance.

A lottery ticket - a literal, actual lottery ticket - is high risk/high reward because even though it only costs a dollar, there is an overwhelmingly high chance of losing. The potential gain is great. Latos is closer to a lottery ticket than, I dunno, keeping your money under the mattress (which is low risk/low reward).

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but I think the chances of Latos being a dud are greater than people are admitting.

If this were Paulino, that would certainly be true...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
There's gotta be incentives in this contract right?

Very rarely do you see a guy 2 years removed from being a top tier pitcher take a flat $3 million one year deal.

Probably just the promise to compete for a spot in the rotation out of spring. At this point, how many teams were offering that and were willing to just do a one year deal? He might have had a two year deal on the table elsewhere but decided to try and rebuild some value in Chicago. He has a good year for Chicago he could easily be looking at a two or even three year deal for 20+ million next offseason.

Edited by chitownsportsfan