White Sox Sign Mat Latos

Princess Dye

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This gives the White Sox some options, I wonder if another move is coming. I also wonder what this means for Erik Johnson.

I do like this move because if the Sox were to fall out of contention, they have an asset that they could flip at the deadline.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
Just makes you wonder what is really up with Latos when Fister, Arroyo, and Masterson all got deals with the possibility to make double what Latos got. As everyone here noted his peripherals were for the most part good and his velocity was even up a tick. Plus he's still under 30. The writing is on the wall for a very plausible bounce back and there was literally 0 market for him? Just doesn't make any sense. Either he's the world's biggest douche or there's something else up we don't know about.

Masterson is still a FA, no?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Robin is known to have a slow hook. Latos was irked by the quick hook with the Dodgers. It doesn't at least appear Hahn is thinking about trading Johnson. From the email the White Sox sent out:

"Mat adds another quality veteran arm to our rotation and also increases our overall pitching depth, which always is essential to having a successful season," said Rick Hahn, White Sox senior vice president/general manager. "While we believe in the futures of several of our young starters, the chance to add a pitcher of Mat's caliber was too good of an opportunity for us to pass up. He has proven over his career that when healthy, he takes the baseball and logs quality innings."

Or maybe the kiss of death, shrouded in language so as to minimize trade value diminution.

Certainly reads as if Hahn/Cooper have Latos penciled in the rotation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
if they "promised" him that already then they really don't have much confidence in Johnson at all.

Some strange things relating to Johnson over the last few years:

- inexplicable velocity drop

- going to an outside source for help

- rumor that Sox were looking to trade him

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
Rather have Gallardo. But he wasnt gonna be cheap. Latos is trouble. Wife is trouble too..... Kinda good thing he pitched in another band box before. Used to k some people. Looks like EJ is in the pen or gone

No chance. He'll be starting in Chicago or in Charlotte. I suppose he could get traded, but I doubt it, and there is zero chance he goes to the bullpen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
Some strange things relating to Johnson over the last few years:

- inexplicable velocity drop

- going to an outside source for help

- rumor that Sox were looking to trade him

And, then of course, a huge bounce back season.

But I suspect that the bold is what bothers the insular Sox.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
No chance. He'll be starting in Chicago or in Charlotte. I suppose he could get traded, but I doubt it, and there is zero chance he goes to the bullpen.

Why not? He can gain good ML experience in the pen. Plenty of starters have served time in the pen (like, oh, Sale, MB).(uh, no pun intended).

Another year in Charlotte is utterly pointless.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
Why not? He can gain good ML experience in the pen. Plenty of starters have served time in the pen (like, oh, Sale, MB).(uh, no pun intended).

Thank you. My thoughts exactly

I honestly see nothing wrong with getting Erik work out of the pen this year as a swing man. If he is truly someone they want to keep around as a 5 once Danks and Latos are gone, I think it makes perfect sense to get him more major league exposure this season and maybe save some of those relief arms for later in the season.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 04:37 PM)
And, then of course, a huge bounce back season.

But I suspect that the bold is what bothers the insular Sox.

It's almost like EJ was bad last year the way everyone talks about him. Like that 1 fluke bad year was/is the norm and he hasn't been good-great every other year

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)

I suppose its possible (in the sense that anything is possible), but the Sox don't have a ton of starting depth and he will likely be needed at some point. I still think he may make the opening day roster (whether that be Danks in the pen/released/traded), but I'd bet on Johnson being in the rotation in Charlotte. The Sox will want to keep him stretched out. Plus, our pen is pretty full. We've already got more ML pen arms than we have spots. I am very certain Erik Johnson will not start the year in the pen, and the only way he would result there is due to a ton of injuries, complete ineffectiveness, or just getting some innings as a September call-up.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
Yep

Aside from the Olts and Brantlys, there's some guy named Daniel Fields...never heard of him.

Look him up. He's the type of guy you would have loved as a starting outfielder on the Sox a year or two ago!