White Sox Sign Mat Latos

Princess Dye

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
I would love if Danks could somehow perform to his 2nd half ERA (4.08) over a full season but anything around 4.50-4.60 and I'd be happy. Probably will be closer to 5 though. Hopefully he can beat the Royals several times again.

If he pitches 200 innings again, and gives us in the same 4.50 to 4.70 range, that is fine for the back of the rotation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
If he pitches 200 innings again, and gives us in the same 4.50 to 4.70 range, that is fine for the back of the rotation.

He's just not good though. I think since this is the last year on the team, they may actually DFA him at some point if he's terrible or use him out of the bullpen.

2013: 4.08 ERA, 4.75 FIP

2014: 4.62 ERA, 4.74 FIP

2015: 4.49 ERA, 4.71 FIP

2016 Steamer: 143 IP, 4.77 ERA, 4.81 FIP.

I'm not the biggest Erik Johnson fan but he can top that in my opinion. White Sox can't talk about contending and trot out John Danks every 5th day anymore. He can be given a shot at the beginning, but if he's bad, I think he'll be gone in one way or another.

He's just not good though. I think since this is the last year on the team, they may actually DFA him at some point if he's terrible or use him out of the bullpen.

2013: 4.08 ERA, 4.75 FIP

2014: 4.62 ERA, 4.74 FIP

2015: 4.49 ERA, 4.71 FIP

2016 Steamer: 143 IP, 4.77 ERA, 4.81 FIP.

I'm not the biggest Erik Johnson fan but he can top that in my opinion. White Sox can't talk about contending and trot out John Danks every 5th day anymore. He can be given a shot at the beginning, but if he's bad, I think he'll be gone in one way or another.

Yeah, if Latos and Johnson are both significantly better than Danks, they have to find a way to get them both into the rotation. If Danks is already a sunk cost, then might as well make him a long man out of the pen.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
I'd love it if they could put Danks in the bullpen. If EJ is struggling with command early, they can just pull the plug before it gets ugly and let Danks go up against a lineup situated to face a righty. I hate to look at the Danks/Johnson thing from as asset point of view but they can make Johnson a good piece moving forward. If he's an acceptable 4/5 then you have a good, cost-effective arm who's pre arb. If you let him toil away in Charlotte then you're eating at his value as marketable asset. Danks is what he is. He's not sexy and he's gone after '16. Give Johnson the shot he deserves and if it doesn't work you have Danks.

The interesting thing is they have too much depth in the bullpen:

1.) Robertson

2.) Duke

3.) Jennings

4.) Jones

5.) Putnam

6.) Petricka

7.) Albers

So Danks/Johnson, Turner, Webb and Kahnle are all going somewhere other than Chicago if there's no injuries.

Danks isn't going to the minors.

Johnson's value is hurt if he goes to the minors.

Turner has to clear waivers to go to the minors.

Webb belongs in the minors.

Kanhle is somewhat intriguing but seems to be too far down the list.

Nice to have depth like this I guess.

Indeed. Seems bizzare that they gave Turner $1.5M as he really doesn't have a clear spot on this team. I am sure Webb has at least 1 option left, but does Kahnle?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
Indeed. Seems bizzare that they gave Turner $1.5M as he really doesn't have a clear spot on this team. I am sure Webb has at least 1 option left, but does Kahnle?

One of two things will happen with Turner if he isn't in Chicago. First he clears waivers and goes to Charlotte. Second he doesn't clear waivers, and the White Sox lose him. In that case they don't pay him $1.5 million as the team who claims him will inherit that deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
One of two things will happen with Turner if he isn't in Chicago. First he clears waivers and goes to Charlotte. Second he doesn't clear waivers, and the White Sox lose him. In that case they don't pay him $1.5 million as the team who claims him will inherit that deal.

I understand that. Still think it is bizarre.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
I understand that. Still think it is bizarre.

Not really. $1.5 million is next to nothing in reality. It is enough to tell me they didn't want to lose him, but I also think that when a guy the calibur of Mat Latos comes along for only $3 million, you don't pass that up for Jake Turner. When they signed Turner at the beginning of the off-season, I don't think they had an inkling of an idea that a Latos type player and deal would fall into their laps. The situation changed, and the team took advantage of it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Not really. $1.5 million is next to nothing in reality. It is enough to tell me they didn't want to lose him, but I also think that when a guy the calibur of Mat Latos comes along for only $3 million, you don't pass that up for Jake Turner. When they signed Turner at the beginning of the off-season, I don't think they had an inkling of an idea that a Latos type player and deal would fall into their laps. The situation changed, and the team took advantage of it.

True. I'm not mad about it or anything. Its chump change. I just can't fathom a scenario that Turner breaks camp with the Sox (baring injury), and he's probably getting paid too much to be claimed off waivers if he doesn't. So basically you're paying him $1.5M to play in Charlotte. Maybe he has a nice spring and another teams swoops him up, but I kind of doubt it.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
True. I'm not mad about it or anything. Its chump change. I just can't fathom a scenario that Turner breaks camp with the Sox (baring injury), and he's probably getting paid too much to be claimed off waivers if he doesn't. So basically you're paying him $1.5M to play in Charlotte. Maybe he has a nice spring and another teams swoops him up, but I kind of doubt it.

At worst, you have to imagine we will need 2 more starting pitchers from the minors at some point. If it happens that way, Turner will still be waiting.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
Everyone says Law hates the Sox and I think he's totally changed his tune since Hahn took over. Cameron on the other hand has never said anything positive about the Sox as far as my eyes have seen.

12:01

Joe: Who do you like better for the White Sox: Latos or Gallardo?

12:02

Dave Cameron: At the price Latos got, he’s a pretty clear pick, but I think it’s worth noting that in a market starved for pitching, no one else wanted the guy. I’m not a big believer in paying for chemistry, but when 29 teams decide they just don’t want this dude on their team, there’s a decent chance he’s a more destructive force than the typical “bad makeup” guy.

12:12

John: After seeing Latos only get $3 mil, what can you expect Lincecum to receive?

12:13

Dave Cameron: I’d bet he’ll get a low base/high incentive deal, maybe with some kind of vesting option for a second year. Latos’ price reflected Latos’ personality.

Eldridge Cleaver: I feel like the White Sox have been trying to go from 90 losses to 90 wins for a few years now. Have they finally done enough to be in the wild-card discussion?

12:24

Dave Cameron: They still need another outfielder, a shortstop, and preferably one more starter. They’re up to .500ish, but they shouldn’t be done yet.

I thought this was funny:

dbet: Could Justin Turner and Ryu get Chris Sale?

12:55

Dave Cameron: Yes. You could have one be the driver and the other be the kidnapper, and combined, they could put him in a van and bring him to Glendale. I think the White Sox would call the police, though.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)

Depth is very important, and doubly so for your pitching staff. At the same time, it's hard to get ML starters to sign knowing they'll be stashed in the bullpen or AAA until an injury happens. To me, $1.5m for one fo those guys is well worth it.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)

Dave Cameron: Yes. You could have one be the driver and the other be the kidnapper, and combined, they could put him in a van and bring him to Glendale. I think the White Sox would call the police, though.

That is freaking awesome.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
None of what Cameron just said sounds like he "hates the white sox". We've all said similar things of this team.

Perhaps. Definitely need another OF, but their staff is in pretty damn good shape at this point, and while a legit SS would be nice, there aren't many out there and at worst Saladino will be a glove first, minimal bat SS that'll put up slightly above replacement level performance. Plenty of playoff teams have a guy or two like that in their lineup. I think when the Sox add another OF, whether it be Fowler, Jackson, Ethier, etc., they have to be considered a legit contender. Hell all you gotta do is play .500 ball through July to be one.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
Depth is very important, and doubly so for your pitching staff. At the same time, it's hard to get ML starters to sign knowing they'll be stashed in the bullpen or AAA until an injury happens. To me, $1.5m for one fo those guys is well worth it.

Agreed. Depth is never a bad thing. But its not like teams were lining up to give the twice DFA'd and fourth organization Jacob Turner a rotation spot.

I think my point is being misunderstood - I am not mad he is around and I have no problem with Turner. I hope he turns into a stud with the Sox and he certainly has more upside than a AAAA pitcher. Its just a bit of curious move in hindsight, but I definitely don't think the Sox anticipated Latos falling into their lap for $3M.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
I'd love it if they could put Danks in the bullpen. If EJ is struggling with command early, they can just pull the plug before it gets ugly and let Danks go up against a lineup situated to face a righty. I hate to look at the Danks/Johnson thing from as asset point of view but they can make Johnson a good piece moving forward. If he's an acceptable 4/5 then you have a good, cost-effective arm who's pre arb. If you let him toil away in Charlotte then you're eating at his value as marketable asset. Danks is what he is. He's not sexy and he's gone after '16. Give Johnson the shot he deserves and if it doesn't work you have Danks.

1.) Robertson

2.) Duke

3.) Jennings

4.) Jones

5.) Putnam

6.) Petricka

7.) Albers

So Danks/Johnson, Turner, Webb and Kahnle are all going somewhere other than Chicago if there's no injuries.

Good post. This is more or less what I was trying to get across in my posts. You just did it much more effectively. No one in their right mind should be upset about Latos @ $3M for 1 year, but bigger picture it's 1 more roster spot we won't be able to judge a young, cheap arm that may actually have a future with the franchise. In a perfect world we would simply get rid of Danks and everything would be ok, but I think if we are all realistic we know Danks is going to be given another long leash as the 5th starter again next year.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)

1.) Robertson

2.) Duke

3.) Jennings

4.) Jones

5.) Putnam

6.) Petricka

7.) Albers

It's absolutely nice to have depth. Can never have too much. It's not a stacked pen with great arms but it's solid and definitely not bare. I want to like this team, I really do. I just can't get excited and have to temper expectations until they show me something for a whole season and not short spurts. This team needs to start off fast.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)

:lol: that's great!

"Eldridge Cleaver: I feel like the White Sox have been trying to go from 90 losses to 90 wins for a few years now. Have they finally done enough to be in the wild-card discussion?

Dave Cameron: They still need another outfielder, a shortstop, and preferably one more starter. They’re up to .500ish, but they shouldn’t be done yet."

I was taken aback by the starter comment. Unless he believes Sox should just cut Danks, acquiring another starter makes no sense.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
"Eldridge Cleaver: I feel like the White Sox have been trying to go from 90 losses to 90 wins for a few years now. Have they finally done enough to be in the wild-card discussion?

Dave Cameron: They still need another outfielder, a shortstop, and preferably one more starter. They’re up to .500ish, but they shouldn’t be done yet."

I was taken aback by the starter comment. Unless he believes Sox should just cut Danks, acquiring another starter makes no sense.

Yeah...we just got one.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)

When was this live chat done? After the Latos signing?