Ian Desmond Signs 1 Year 8M Deal with Rangers

southsider2k5

Piecing together Rosenthal's report w/ Nightengale's & Bucket's, it sure seems like the Sox are either going to trade for a bat or be done...

I almost get the feeling if it's a trade, it won't be a high impact one, either.

Somewhat disappointed they don't seem to be wanting to add a higher impact bat but can't say I'm overly surprised.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
Piecing together Rosenthal's report w/ Nightengale's & Bucket's, it sure seems like the Sox are either going to trade for a bat or be done...

I almost get the feeling if it's a trade, it won't be a high impact one, either.

Somewhat disappointed they don't seem to be wanting to add a higher impact bat but can't say I'm overly surprised.

If you take out Fulmer and Anderson, they don't have the pieces to get a high impact bat.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 07:35 AM)
If you take out Fulmer and Anderson, they don't have the pieces to get a high impact bat.

100% agree, which is why they should be looking to buck up & just make a move for someone in FA. Fowler to me is still the best option. Not a groundbreaking player but still a 2-2.5 WAR per year type player & an OBP guy w/ speed.

We'll see what happens. I think this team is a fringe type team right now & if they don't add anyone now, they'll probably spend more doing it in June/July when they are slightly hanging on looking for a boost. Just seems to be the Sox's way to do things.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)

That is probably true, but they do have SOME pieces to use in a deal: a) one of Putnam, Petricka, Webb, Jennings/Phillips;

b) one of Adams, Eric Johnson or Chris Beck; c) lower level minor leaguer.

Is that enough to get ANYONE? Am not sure, which leads me to believe that the best course of action is either Austin Jackson or to do nothing and wait to see what position the team is in near the trade deadline.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
That is probably true, but they do have SOME pieces to use in a deal: a) one of Putnam, Petricka, Webb, Jennings/Phillips;

Is that enough to get ANYONE? Am not sure, which leads me to believe that the best course of action is either Austin Jackson or to do nothing and wait to see what position the team is in near the trade deadline.

wasn't it said that the sox had extra pen pitchers that they could one or two of them.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)

I don't think those pieces necessarily get you a "high impact" bat.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
then neither is Fowler or Austin Jackson

I know and I'm not arguing they are. So I agree I guess. Someone mentioned how it doesn't seem they want to add a higher impact bat (opposed to names we've seen tossed out) and I'm just saying we don't really have the pieces taking out our 2 best to get a high impact bat.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
Come on guys, were talking about trying to upgrade Avi, a high impact bat would be nice but not necessary to make the improvement.

Correct...Austin Jackson's defense alone would save us roughly 2 games worth of runs

If the Sox intend to trade for an OF upgrade and don't intent to deal Anderson or Fulmer, they would have to deal from their pitching depth. Sox will carry 12 pitchers, so I numbered viable guys for reference.

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Q

3. Rodon

4. Latos

5. Danks

Bullpen

6. Robertson

7. Petricka

8. Duke

9. Jennings

10. Albers

11. Jones

12. Putnam

So potential trade chips or depth to step in for any of the above guys...

Johnson, Turner, Beck, Kahnle, and Webb. Three guys who could potentially start and two who might be useful bullpen pieces.

Just hypothetically, I wonder how valuable a Erik Johnson/Spencer Adams package would be to a team looking to get younger? With the cost of starting pitching skyrocketing, those two have a lot of years of control.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
If the Sox intend to trade for an OF upgrade and don't intent to deal Anderson or Fulmer, they would have to deal from their pitching depth. Sox will carry 12 pitchers, so I numbered viable guys for reference.

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Q

3. Rodon

4. Latos

5. Danks

Bullpen

6. Robertson

7. Petricka

8. Duke

9. Jennings

10. Albers

11. Jones

12. Putnam

So potential trade chips or depth to step in for any of the above guys...

Johnson, Turner, Beck, Kahnle, and Webb. Three guys who could potentially start and two who might be useful bullpen pieces.

Just hypothetically, I wonder how valuable a Erik Johnson/Spencer Adams package would be to a team looking to get younger? With the cost of starting pitching skyrocketing, those two have a lot of years of control.

i really like that list you assembled, but i still think EJ will be on the team, maybe starting in the pen. if, and i mean if that happens, looking for your opinion, whose sport will he take?? with ref to the list above.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 05:35 PM)
Upgrading a -1 WAR position should be really easy to do, it doesn't require a "high impact" bat to be a significant upgrade.

and that is great news from the advance stat group. damn it. pay his price, the team will make that money back.

they can book it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
i really like that list you assembled, but i still think EJ will be on the team, maybe starting in the pen. if, and i mean if that happens, looking for your opinion, whose sport will he take?? with ref to the list above.

Putnam? He had a down year last year However, he still had a 11.8 K/9 rate and is projected to have a 3.76 ERA in 2016 (according to B/R). The Sox have a solid bullpen and I think all those guys have value which leads me to believe either a member of the current bullpen or EJ will be dealt before Opening Day. Johnson absolutely tore up Charlotte last year and has nothing left to prove there.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
Putnam? He had a down year last year However, he still had a 11.8 K/9 rate and is projected to have a 3.76 ERA in 2016 (according to B/R). The Sox have a solid bullpen and I think all those guys have value which leads me to believe either a member of the current bullpen or EJ will be dealt before Opening Day. Johnson absolutely tore up Charlotte last year and has nothing left to prove there.

a great counter.

i really can't find fault.