Ian Desmond Signs 1 Year 8M Deal with Rangers

southsider2k5

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
Desmond or the 27th pick, Latos, and Rollins...

Pretty even but I think I'd side with the route we ended up taking and still have faith that we'll be adding another OF bat vi trade.

..and I believe the Desmond signing moves us up one to the 26th pick. And the Sox will still add another outfielder.

Jackson has put up 5.5 WAR higher in his career than Fowler in about 100 less PA. He is younger. The difference being Fowler gets most of his offensively, Jackson, at least the last couple of seasons, defensively. Eaton said today he will be ready by opening day, but the Sox could use a guy who can play CF. no QO attached. It comes down to price. He obviously wants more than $6 million. He Probably wants more than $12 million at this point. it appears the Sox were willing to go around $10 million a year for Fowler if Bruce's report is accurate. This has to be the play, doesn't it? I guess it will all come down to when Boras feels there is no chance at the money he is looking for.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
So how have the last few players worked out for us that we got from the nationals. Plus its only a one year contract, you lose a pick and are hoping he can adjust to a new league and new position. Appears i am in the minority but i am glad we didnt offer the one year deal to him.

The last few Nationals players? Should they avoid Bryce Harper too? You may have thought Desmond was a bad fit, but don't use Dunn and LaRoche as reasons why. That is so lazy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 09:22 PM)
Jackson has put up 5.5 WAR higher in his career than Fowler in about 100 less PA. He is younger. The difference being Fowler gets most of his offensively, Jackson, at least the last couple of seasons, defensively. Eaton said today he will be ready by opening day, but the Sox could use a guy who can play CF. no QO attached. It comes down to price. He obviously wants more than $6 million. He Probably wants more than $12 million at this point. it appears the Sox were willing to go around $10 million a year for Fowler if Bruce's report is accurate. This has to be the play, doesn't it? I guess it will all come down to when Boras feels there is no chance at the money he is looking for.

you make a compelling argument, if that is there intentions. i only hope so. a. jack is the player i wanted all off season for the outfield.

but his agent, that is a huge problem.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)

When he rejected that deal with the Angels, I bet it had more to do with playing time than money. They already has a platoon there so he'd be part of a 3 man system if he had signed there. Hard to build your value sitting on the bench a lot of the time.

I thought we offered Fowler $17 million over two years, no opt-out?

Even if it (Sox theoretical offer) was $20 million and two years (and no opt-out again), the Cubs' offer would be more attractive since he's guaranteed to be getting $13 million for the Cubs and is VERY unlikely to end up getting less than $7 million next season, unless he's injured or just has a terrible season as a complementary player within a potentially dynamic offense.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
The last few Nationals players? Should they avoid Bryce Harper too? You may have thought Desmond was a bad fit, but don't use Dunn and LaRoche as reasons why. That is so lazy.

Or name a player who we will never have a shot at signing, dont be so lazy.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
What is baffling is actually thinking that the White Sox will pick anybody of any value with that draft pick. Especially that incompetent pack of clowns. Other than a pitcher, who is the last position player that we picked that was of any value to the organization? They acted as if they were going all in when they acquired Frazier and Lawrie. Then, they backed out and failed. The 2016 White Sox are partially in and will once again achieve the same results.

Micah Johnson and Trayce Thompson just helped us acquire Todd Frazier. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Think about this for a second, if Rollins makes the big league roster, he will get paid $2M. The Rangers are paying Ian $8. Split the difference and for $6M more (and of course a draft pick) the Sox could have had Ian. Please note, the expectation / hope from the front office perspective appears to be that Rollins will make the team. Now I don't know if Ian would have taken $8M to play with the Sox and remain at shortstop (or if we would have contemplated any scenario where we'd have signed him to play in the outfield).

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
If he had any sense he would have taken less to play SS for one year and hope for a rebound. His bat doesn't play in LF, I have no idea why he agreed to do that.

I think his bat is fine, but the bat is what makes him far more valuable at short (and it isn't like he's an awful defender). Which is why I presume we could have gotten him for 1Yr 8M and played him at short. Now he may look at the Rangers environment and how hitters have excelled and view it as a way for him to get back on track offensively and then he can slide back in a year from now. However, every decision Ian has made from a contractual perspective has been awful (from turning down his mega deal to turning down his qualifying offer, he has made brutal decisions and/or gotten brutal advice). Boras (who I think is representing him) normally doesn't miss, but what Ian has done has to be the most brutal whiff in player history ever (thus far...maybe he mashes and gets a huge offer a year from now) but I feel bad for the guy. He's lost just a massive amount of money because of his contract decisions.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
I think his bat is fine, but the bat is what makes him far more valuable at short (and it isn't like he's an awful defender). Which is why I presume we could have gotten him for 1Yr 8M and played him at short. Now he may look at the Rangers environment and how hitters have excelled and view it as a way for him to get back on track offensively and then he can slide back in a year from now. However, every decision Ian has made from a contractual perspective has been awful (from turning down his mega deal to turning down his qualifying offer, he has made brutal decisions and/or gotten brutal advice). Boras (who I think is representing him) normally doesn't miss, but what Ian has done has to be the most brutal whiff in player history ever (thus far...maybe he mashes and gets a huge offer a year from now) but I feel bad for the guy. He's lost just a massive amount of money because of his contract decisions.

I have a hard time feeling bad for a guy making $8M to play baseball for a year.

I am surprised by the way Desmond went with this whole deal. I thought he'd accept to QO. I didn't think he'd accept an offer to play in the OF. It really cuts down on his value - his bat can make him one of the better all around SS in the league if he bounces back to his career norms. In the OF, its a different story.

I too am a little shocked he couldn't find an everyday SS job. I am also shocked that the Sox weren't interested in the cost was only $6M more than Rollins. But someone (Merkin I believe) said that the Sox were never really interested in Desmond due to his defense. But on a one year deal, even with a team option for next year in case Anderson isn't ready in 2017, it made a lot of sense. But oh well, I am fine with where things are. I actually want to see Saladino out there at SS most days.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
I have a hard time feeling bad for a guy making $8M to play baseball for a year.

I am surprised by the way Desmond went with this whole deal. I thought he'd accept to QO. I didn't think he'd accept an offer to play in the OF. It really cuts down on his value - his bat can make him one of the better all around SS in the league if he bounces back to his career norms. In the OF, its a different story.

I too am a little shocked he couldn't find an everyday SS job. I am also shocked that the Sox weren't interested in the cost was only $6M more than Rollins. But someone (Merkin I believe) said that the Sox were never really interested in Desmond due to his defense. But on a one year deal, even with a team option for next year in case Anderson isn't ready in 2017, it made a lot of sense. But oh well, I am fine with where things are. I actually want to see Saladino out there at SS most days.

Regarding the bolded, just to keep pointing this out:

UZR in the 2015 season:

Ian Desmond: -3.7

Jimmy Rollins: -6.8

Defensive runs saved:

Ian Desmond: 1

Jimmy Rollins: -8

Yeah Rollins has been better in previous years but he's graded as a below average fielder 3 of the last 4 years, which isn't surprising for a SS in his late 30s. At the very least, if "due to his defense" is a reason not to be interested in Desmond, that reason should apply equally to Rollins.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
Think about this for a second, if Rollins makes the big league roster, he will get paid $2M. The Rangers are paying Ian $8. Split the difference and for $6M more (and of course a draft pick) the Sox could have had Ian. Please note, the expectation / hope from the front office perspective appears to be that Rollins will make the team. Now I don't know if Ian would have taken $8M to play with the Sox and remain at shortstop (or if we would have contemplated any scenario where we'd have signed him to play in the outfield).

Everything seems to be coming back to the money factor with the Sox. It's either that or they have their remaining budget tied to a particular player they're interested in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Regarding the bolded, just to keep pointing this out:

UZR in the 2015 season:

Ian Desmond: -3.7

Jimmy Rollins: -6.8

Defensive runs saved:

Ian Desmond: 1

Jimmy Rollins: -8

Yeah Rollins has been better in previous years but he's graded as a below average fielder 3 of the last 4 years, which isn't surprising for a SS in his late 30s. At the very least, if "due to his defense" is a reason not to be interested in Desmond, that reason should apply equally to Rollins.

Yeah, I guess I don't really expect Rollins to start more than half the games at SS. I expect Saladino to get a fair amount of time there, and he should, so I am not going to get wound up about Rollins D. I don't watch the Dodgers much, so I can't really speak to his D, but I am guessing he's still pretty good out there, just has limited range (compared to when he was younger) and not as much on his throws as he used to.