2016 AL Central catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Twins stink right now.

But one thing to watch: Joe Mauer is back to being Joe Mauer (.321 /.453 /.440 /.893 slash line coming into todays game). The ball sounds better coming off his batt and even his outs are well struck (just missed a HR today and has had a couple robbed by OFers). Its being two seasons since concussions ended his catching career and its just nice to see his game back to somewhat normal.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 2, 2016 -> 11:33 PM)
Twins crush Keuchel, who isn't getting the borderline calls he was getting last year, so he's walking everybody this year. Astros are screwed.

That umpire was awful. In the 5th, Jose Berrios threw a curve right down the middle of the plate and he called it a ball. The catcher got pissed and was tossed out of the game. Berrios threw the same pitch in the same place the next pitch and was called a strike.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 4, 2016 -> 06:49 PM)
I can't figure out who to root for in the Central, other than the Twins. So I guess beating each other up is the best thing for the Sox.

Yeah, until they get to September, it's hard to decide who to root for when the Tigers/Royals/Indians play each other.

By the way, the Sox have played the fewest division games than anyone in baseball- 5.

Dominate the Twins, and win 9 or 10 against the other three, and the division is won.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 4, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
Yeah, until they get to September, it's hard to decide who to root for when the Tigers/Royals/Indians play each other.

By the way, the Sox have played the fewest division games than anyone in baseball- 5.

Dominate the Twins, and win 9 or 10 against the other three, and the division is won.

I believe the sox were possibly the worse in the central in head to head last year.

Medlen got hit around in that first inning, but there were three errors on Moustakas (tough in-between hop he got caught on), Infante (the worst one) and Dyson lost a ball in the corner for an extra base...

He's been so-so. His last start, he took the loss after having a no-hitter through five and then giving up a bomb right away in the 6th, think they lost that one 1-0 if I remember correctly.

At any rate, the real problems with the Royals are offensively (Cain and Morales), different parts of the bullpen have been getting hit around (except for the one constant in Davis) and then Chris Young has been their version of John Danks, although he's pitched better of late.

Kennedy has been better than expected (compared to, say, Leake, around the same price range)...and Medlen a bit flat/disappointing but not terrible or where they're looking at putting Duffy back into the rotation or adding Dillon Gee/Chien Min-Wang to the rotation).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:38 AM)
Medlen got hit around in that first inning, but there were three errors on Moustakas (tough in-between hop he got caught on), Infante (the worst one) and Dyson lost a ball in the corner for an extra base...

He's been so-so. His last start, he took the loss after having a no-hitter through five and then giving up a bomb right away in the 6th, think they lost that one 1-0 if I remember correctly.

At any rate, the real problems with the Royals are offensively (Cain and Morales), different parts of the bullpen have been getting hit around (except for the one constant in Davis) and then Chris Young has been their version of John Danks, although he's pitched better of late.

Kennedy has been better than expected (compared to, say, Leake, around the same price range)...and Medlen a bit flat/disappointing but not terrible or where they're looking at putting Duffy back into the rotation or adding Dillon Gee/Chien Min-Wang to the rotation).

This ain't the Royals year, Caufield. Now there could be residual effects from reaching the WS two years in a row and winning it last year, effects that keep them a few games over .500, but quite frankly their pitching staff blows. They went cheap and now don't have an ace. They need a Shieds/Cueto type of guy to lead the way and Ventura will not be that guy. He's not good enough.

Then the lineup? If Morales is human this year and Gordon keeps hitting just OK, and 2B remains a problem, they could be in trouble. It's going to take Hosmer raking all summer like a Harper or Mike Trout and Cain or Moustakas to go nuts for them to win it again. That is possible I suppose. The bats "could" definitely come alive, but If I were KC I'd immediately get Duffy in the starting rotation and start planning on acquiring a Cueto type guy at the break, whomever this year's Cueto is.

Edited by greg775

Probably Sonny Gray of the A's.

Not sure many teams have the bullets left remaining in their farm system to get it done, KC/CHW/DET don't, and the Indians just haven't made those type of blockbuster trades going the other direction (as opposed to teardowns/rebuilds).

Cueto was pretty terrible for KC last year in the regular season, but had a couple of very good post-season performances to somewhat redeem himself...

As far as ruling teams out at this point of the season, the only team we can be pretty sure won't be there in the end is the Twins.

Other than that, all four AL Central teams can win it or make the wildcard IMO. The Tigers, Royals and Indians are all within one game of each other.

As far as offense goes, yes, you're right.....Infante, Perez or Escobar would have to pick up some of the slack from last season, and/or they're going to have to make one last run at it this trade deadline and start trading off pieces into the offseason if Dayton Moore is convinced he doesn't have a path to competing in 2017. It will be an interesting choice to let go, since that means rebuilding again for at least 3 years, if not more.

If they go firesale, they can trade Cain, Hosmer, Moustakas, Volquez, Medlen, Duffy, Wade Davis, Soria (maybe, his value's down right now)....and keep Gordon, Perez, Ventura, Herrera and Kennedy as their core going forward, along with the likes of Zimmer, Mondesi Jr and Starling.

My hunch is that Moore & Co. won't be making any of those trades until next July at the earliest...unless the wheels just completely fall off the wagon this year (not impossible, but also unlikely with how much parity there is in the AL Central, with all four teams having majors flaws that could be addressed via the trade route).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
Probably Sonny Gray of the A's.

Not sure many teams have the bullets left remaining in their farm system to get it done, KC/CHW/DET don't, and the Indians just haven't made those type of blockbuster trades going the other direction (as opposed to teardowns/rebuilds).

Cueto was pretty terrible for KC last year in the regular season, but had a couple of very good post-season performances to somewhat redeem himself...

As far as ruling teams out at this point of the season, the only team we can be pretty sure won't be there in the end is the Twins.

Other than that, all four AL Central teams can win it or make the wildcard IMO. The Tigers, Royals and Indians are all within one game of each other.

As far as offense goes, yes, you're right.....Infante, Perez or Escobar would have to pick up some of the slack from last season, and/or they're going to have to make one last run at it this trade deadline and start trading off pieces into the offseason if Dayton Moore is convinced he doesn't have a path to competing in 2017. It will be an interesting choice to let go, since that means rebuilding again for at least 3 years, if not more.

If they go firesale, they can trade Cain, Hosmer, Moustakas, Volquez, Medlen, Duffy, Wade Davis, Soria (maybe, his value's down right now)....and keep Gordon, Perez, Ventura, Herrera and Kennedy as their core going forward, along with the likes of Zimmer, Mondesi Jr and Starling.

My hunch is that Moore & Co. won't be making any of those trades until next July at the earliest...unless the wheels just completely fall off the wagon this year (not impossible, but also unlikely with how much parity there is in the AL Central, with all four teams having majors flaws that could be addressed via the trade route).

Excellent post again as u are on a roll, except I take great exception to the Cueto comment. He had several ace like starts during the regular season last year, too, mostly all home games though. I don't think anybody will "fear" KC this year unless Hosmer just goes nuts this summer, which he could.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 5, 2016 -> 02:08 AM)
Excellent post again as u are on a roll, except I take great exception to the Cueto comment. He had several ace like starts during the regular season last year, too, mostly all home games though. I don't think anybody will "fear" KC this year unless Hosmer just goes nuts this summer, which he could.

Cueto's numbers for KC last year look quite similar to John Danks for the White Sox.

20 more hits than innings pitched (anything more than 1 HIT/IP is pretty lousy for an "ace" in that pitching friendly environment)...a pedestrian, Mark Buehrle-esque strikeout percentage of 6.19/9 IP, 4.76 ERA and 1.45 WHIP and a negligible WAR of +0.2 for 13 total starts when Adam Eaton's already at 2+ WAR for not even 1/5th of the season.

One complete game...barely average 6 1/3 IP per start as well (granted, the Royals had the pen to get 8 outs per game quite easily).

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 5, 2016 -> 02:08 AM)

Cueto's numbers for KC last year look quite similar to John Danks for the White Sox.

20 more hits than innings pitched (anything more than 1 HIT/IP is pretty lousy for an "ace" in that pitching friendly environment)...a pedestrian, Mark Buehrle-esque strikeout percentage of 6.19/9 IP, 4.76 ERA and 1.45 WHIP and a negligible WAR of +0.2 for 13 total starts when Adam Eaton's already at 2+ WAR for not even 1/5th of the season.

One complete game...barely averaging 6 1/3 IP per start as well (granted, the Royals had the pen to get 8 outs per game quite easily).

Six quality starts out of 13 and one close to it (5 IP/1 ER).