2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
Went to my first Cubs game in probably 15 years if not more(it's been so long I wasn't aware they had no stadium parking until we got there), have to say the atmosphere at the game was so much cooler than anything I've experienced at a sox game. I know they are a great team this season which helps but it was also just a regular season game against an opponent they had crushed all season long.

Go to a Sox game when they have a winning record and a full house - same experience.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Sider @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 06:24 PM)
I don't know. Whatever is going on on the North side, I feel left out. You won't see me buying any Cubs tickets or clothing, but this Sox fan might just be rooting for the Cubs come October.

No need to root for them. Just watch it and observe. Why root for them? They hate us. They are the enemy. If they must win so be it but why root for them?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
Went to my first Cubs game in probably 15 years if not more(it's been so long I wasn't aware they had no stadium parking until we got there), have to say the atmosphere at the game was so much cooler than anything I've experienced at a sox game. I know they are a great team this season which helps but it was also just a regular season game against an opponent they had crushed all season long.

Yup, that's something I came to realize over the past 10-15 years. Despite all the stereotypes of Wrigley, the baseball experience is so much better at Wrigley than at the Cell. Fans just pay more attention to the game and are more into the big moments. And it's not just because they are good now, I've seen it during the down years too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 07:13 AM)
Yup, that's something I came to realize over the past 10-15 years. Despite all the stereotypes of Wrigley, the baseball experience is so much better at Wrigley than at the Cell. Fans just pay more attention to the game and are more into the big moments. And it's not just because they are good now, I've seen it during the down years too.

I get questions here all the time about going to Chicago and I have to mention attending a Cubs game. The fact is, when the White Sox are competitive, the White Sox game is a cultural experience. The regional nature of the White Sox fanbase (when they play well) is really quite charming. However, the current Cubs experience is just incredible for tourists who are fans of the game. The neighborhood, the park, the quality of the play (a major change) are just such a great image for Chicago culture.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 05:13 AM)

Uhhh

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
I get questions here all the time about going to Chicago and I have to mention attending a Cubs game. The fact is, when the White Sox are competitive, the White Sox game is a cultural experience. The regional nature of the White Sox fanbase (when they play well) is really quite charming. However, the current Cubs experience is just incredible for tourists who are fans of the game. The neighborhood, the park, the quality of the play (a major change) are just such a great image for Chicago culture.

Wrigley Field is fine once you are in your seat. Everything else sucks about it though. Limited beer options, the food is bad, there are people everywhere and nowhere to walk, minimal ATM machines, it takes forever to get there. I usually go once a year because my wife is a Pirates fan but other than that I wouldn't take free tickets. I don't hate the Cubs either. I'm just a White Sox fan that isn't real interested in the whole Wrigley Field thing.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 01:47 AM)
He's really no where near the Cy Young award, but he is doing really well for some reason. Him and Arrieta are running super low BABIPs. In fact, both Lester and Lackey and even Hammel have real low BABIPs too. I wonder if that's a lot of luck on their side, a product of facing weak NL offenses, or just having a really good defense. Or a combination.

All 5 Cubs starters are in the top 11 in lowest BABIPs in baseball. 5 of 11! Arrieta (2), Hendricks (6), Hammel, Lackey, Lester (9, 10, 11).

Here's why the Cubs are on pace to be the single best defensive team ever

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
Wrigley Field is fine once you are in your seat. Everything else sucks about it though. Limited beer options, the food is bad, there are people everywhere and nowhere to walk, minimal ATM machines, it takes forever to get there. I usually go once a year because my wife is a Pirates fan but other than that I wouldn't take free tickets. I don't hate the Cubs either. I'm just a White Sox fan that isn't real interested in the whole Wrigley Field thing.

Right, and I understand that, but I can't really recommend a Sox game when the baseball product is really garbage, the environment is bad (empty stadium). It's a great park to get around and it has a lot more character than it used to have and the food is still amazing, but I can't recommend that horrible product. I wish I could.

I think fans everywhere pay less attention to a game or to a concert or any event than ever before, people now have to take 1000 pictures or video missing out, IMO, on a lot of the experience. But Wrigley's reputation was well earned. I was at a Cubs/Sox game there a few years ago. We were in the second row of the infield upper deck box. There was a guy standing in the front row just talking to his buddies, paying no attention. One of my friends had his view block. He is a Cubs fan and a little short on patience. He said hey buddy what is the score. The guy said how should I know?

Also any pop up sounds like a home run because a lot of the lower deck seats you can't see the ball in the air. I live closer to Wrigley,but unless someone invites me, I have zero desire to attend. When they get all the renovations done, I will probably go. It might cost the price of my 27 game package for 1 game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 05:40 PM)
I think fans everywhere pay less attention to a game or to a concert or any event than ever before, people now have to take 1000 pictures or video missing out, IMO, on a lot of the experience. But Wrigley's reputation was well earned. I was at a Cubs/Sox game there a few years ago. We were in the second row of the infield upper deck box. There was a guy standing in the front row just talking to his buddies, paying no attention. One of my friends had his view block. He is a Cubs fan and a little short on patience. He said hey buddy what is the score. The guy said how should I know?

Also any pop up sounds like a home run because a lot of the lower deck seats you can't see the ball in the air. I live closer to Wrigley,but unless someone invites me, I have zero desire to attend. When they get all the renovations done, I will probably go. It might cost the price of my 27 game package for 1 game.

Every stadium has their idiots and Wrigley has earned that reputation, but I just don't think the Cell is some baseball mecca with fan support as compared to Wrigley. For all the idiots at Wrigley, there's a lot of people that know what's going on in the game. I can't forget 2012, I went to a Cubs game when they were losing 100 games, and fans were standing and cheering with 2 outs or two strikes. Then I went to a Sox/Tigers game in September when the Sox were hanging on to first place, half the crowd didn't even realize there was a baseball game. It was almost embarrassing. The only ones who cared were wearing Tigers gear.

If you get the good seats at Wrigley, it's awesome, but there are a lot of s***ty seats where you can barely see. And as people have said, the amenities aren't worth discussing.

Yet their reputation has always been the exact opposite...so...

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 11:39 PM)
Yet their reputation has always been the exact opposite...so...

The Cubs are always going to get the frat bros and the trixies crowd plus the tourists but they also have fans that live and die with the team. I think the Cell and Sox fans kind of get a bad rap, most of the games I've been too Sox fans are always paying attention and are as die hard as any fans in MLB. There's always going to be some people there who are just there for the party/booze and can give a rats ass about the game but that's everywhere. Problem has been there hasn't really been much to cheer or get excited about since the 2005 season. 2006 and 2008 were fun seasons but since then they've been a constant disappointment which has resulted in a more lethargic crowd.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 12:35 AM)
The Cubs are always going to get the frat bros and the trixies crowd plus the tourists but they also have fans that live and die with the team. I think the Cell and Sox fans kind of get a bad rap, most of the games I've been too Sox fans are always paying attention and are as die hard as any fans in MLB. There's always going to be some people there who are just there for the party/booze and can give a rats ass about the game but that's everywhere. Problem has been there hasn't really been much to cheer or get excited about since the 2005 season. 2006 and 2008 were fun seasons but since then they've been a constant disappointment which has resulted in a more lethargic crowd.

We have had other exciting years since 05...I hate the notion that winning the World Series is the only factor for an exciting season for some.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 07:41 AM)
We have had other exciting years since 05...I hate the notion that winning the World Series is the only factor for an exciting season for some.

lol really? 2008 maybe.

That's it. And being a World Series contender makes you exciting. You don't have to win it. The longer you believe you can win the WS, the more exciting. We are almost always out too early.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
lol really? 2008 maybe.

That's it. And being a World Series contender makes you exciting. You don't have to win it. The longer you believe you can win the WS, the more exciting. We are almost always out too early.

They've had competitive seasons that were exciting. 06, 08, 10, 12 were all good seasons to watch. If you only think winning world series is exciting, then why/how do people start liking in the first place and continue to like this team looking at our World Series success?

Why are you a fan if you haven't had excitement in 11 years? Sounds like you need a new hobby.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
They've had competitive seasons that were exciting. 06, 08, 10, 12 were all good seasons to watch. If you only think winning world series is exciting, then why/how do people start liking in the first place and continue to like this team looking at our World Series success?

Why are you a fan if you haven't had excitement in 11 years? Sounds like you need a new hobby.

My big question is why are people wasting their time if this isn't something they get enjoyment out of?