2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
Roll call!

Black Sox

Jerksticks

Alexeihhhhyyyeees (love your name dude if i never said it)

Littlehurt05

Dick Allen

Sign up. Reading anything that spoiled turd Brett writes on bleachernation makes me want to puke. Yes, I troll that page. It's little battles like reminding them they tanked, that Sam Zell used their fanbase like an old whore, that their players are still prospects and may bust, or that now that they have Schwarber all the traditionalist-purity-of-the-NL-pitchers-need-to-hit-to-call-it-real-baseball whining phonies are going to turn heels and become the biggest hypocrites on earth clammoring for the DH when he posts a -50 dWAR this year. Winning those little battles of reminding them it's BS helps a bit.

I'm going to need a therapist if they win

Add me to the list.

I hate the Cubs with a passion.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:39 PM)
Do you also respect the Dodgers for buying all their talent too? I don't. I respect teams like the Rays and Pirates who can do it on budgets.

Everyone knows I hate the Cubs, but they could have put together a division contending roster on a mediocre payroll if they wanted to with all their young, cost-controlled stars.

Cubs are freaking loaded.

Was saying all winter I don't know why they don't play one of, if not the best defensive RF in the game at his natural position. Cubs went from below average to above average defensively with just one move. Incredible.

Edited by SoxAce

Everyone knows I hate the Cubs, but they could have put together a division contending roster on a mediocre payroll if they wanted to with all their young, cost-controlled stars.

Aside from Bryant who are all the young stars? The Cubs got 97 wins last year because their entire pitching staff blew out even the most outrageous expecations.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)
Rizzo and Schwarber sure but you're being a bit liberal with the term "young star" if you include Baez and Soler. Russell needs to develop with the bat first to be considered a star, and as Fangraphs pointed out in the article below his batted ball profile last year was rather poor, with a low line drive rate, high pop-up rate, and well below average exit velocity to go along with the high K-rate. He's got some pop but still needs to prove more at the plate before I consider him a "star".

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-positi...trospective-2b/

Addison Russell was among the best defensive shortstops in the game and a defensive difference make we haven't seen on the south side in forever.

And you inexplicably exclude Bryant.

Rizzo, Bryant, Russell, and Schwarber. All under 26. The Cubs would be good without free agent signings. Their lineup now is terrifying.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
Addison Russell was among the best defensive shortstops in the game and a defensive difference make we haven't seen on the south side in forever.

Rizzo, Bryant, Russell, and Schwarber. All under 26. The Cubs would be good without free agent signings. Their lineup now is terrifying.

How would the rotation look?

Rizzo isn't under 26, and Schwarber is a DH who has problems with lefties playing in the wrong league. Russell was a nightmare offensively.

Bryant, sure OK.

The Cubs could easily have a very young Matt Stairs and Royse Clayton, Troy Glaus and a good 1B closing in on age 30. Or the 27 Yankees. We'll see which one they wind up being closer to.

Edited by Alexeihyeess

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
Rizzo isn't under 26, and Schwarber is a DH who has problems with lefties playing in the wrong league. Russell was a nightmare offensively.

Bryant, sure OK.

The Cubs could easily have a very young Matt Stairs and Royse Clayton, Troy Glaus and a good 1B closing in on age 30. Or the 27 Yankees. We'll see which one they wind up being closer to.

A .696 OPS from a shortstop is a "nightmare"? The average OPS from shortstops in MLB last year was .690.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
While you respect the poor teams, everyone else will keep winning the World Series

I'm not saying they aren't doing right by exploiting their financial resources to build the monster club they have, I am just saying they don't have the club they have because they are geniuses and making better moves than everyone else. They have the club they have in large part because they have financial resources to exploit certain avenues of infusing talent in to their roster.

I'm more impressed with moves the Braves and Brewers have made in recent offseasons to turn their franchises around instead of the Cubs spending tons of money on Free Agents and International talents.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
lol. The cubs are one of the very best teams in the majors right now, it might have taken them 100+ years, but there team was masterfully crafted.

and yet they still won't win a World Series with this group lol.

It's the Cubs after all. They'll find a way to screw it up.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 07:30 AM)

We (White Sox fans) get no respect because we suffer from this delusion.

I love how fans blame the jersey logo as the reason for a failure. Jerseys don't win or lose games. Bad baseball does (we should know the last decade). If the Cubs changed their name, they would have as much of a chance to win it all as they do now.

I can't say for sure that they'll win one or not, but their chances are sky high compared to the perennial dumpster fire we have to watch on the south side.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
You're correct, White Sox fans are the only ones who ever say this about the Cubs. GMAB

They aren't but constant worrying about a team not in our own division is stupid. Giants/A's, Angels/Dodgers, and Yankees/Mets don't really have these fake "rivalries" like we have created here.

I'm more impressed with moves the Braves and Brewers have made in recent offseasons to turn their franchises around instead of the Cubs spending tons of money on Free Agents and International talents.

The Brewers? Really? We have yet to see how they will pan out (similarly, the Braves). The Cubs are reality, they are the best team in the bigs right now.

Even if we grant you a few teams, the cubs are on the short list of teams that have been built masterfully.

Perhaps, but at this stage in the season it isn't about screwing up the world series, it's about setting your team up to reach it. There's very few, if any, teams that are currently set up as well as the Cubs are.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
The Brewers? Really? We have yet to see how they will pan out (similarly, the Braves). The Cubs are reality, they are the best team in the bigs right now.

Even if we grant you a few teams, the cubs are on the short list of teams that have been built masterfully.

Perhaps, but at this stage in the season it isn't about screwing up the world series, it's about setting your team up to reach it. There's very few, if any, teams that are currently set up as well as the Cubs are.

All you can do is create a team to get into the playoffs consistently. That's the quickest path to the world series. Need to win your division and get in the tournament. At that point, anything can happen. Variance trumps everything.

ll you can do is create a team to get into the playoffs consistently.

Yes, and this is a good point . The Cubs will be contenders for quite some time now due to how their team is set up. If they don't win this year, they'll have a hell of a shot next year, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
You're correct, White Sox fans are the only ones who ever say this about the Cubs. GMAB

We're the only ones delusional enough to believe that the jersey on their backs make it true.

The fact is, when the media talks about "Can the Cubs win the World Series?" it's only to drum up interest but they know it's more likely now than it has ever really been. With the best baseball man in the business backed by a generous piggy bank, the Cubs look to be good for a long time.

And I envy them immensely because we know what the White Sox are trying and even with 2005, this "lightning in a bottle" method of going about business is draining when it fails.