2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

Harrell pitched a great game and then Cervenka and Johnson choked it away.

As for my earlier trade idea, you might as well forget Contreras.

It has to be Baez or Almora, Jr (for relief help). They're not going to be interested at all in Soler after the Avi Garcia Era.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler Flowers finally comes up with huge RISP hit to take the lead 4-3...for the Braves. Better late than never.

Looks like the Braves' non-closer is going to give it back to the Cubs somehow, sigh.

Huge double play ball there.

2 outs, Contreras on 3rd. Candelario up.

Man, this Braves' pitcher is throwing some serious cheese. Cabrera.

Cubs lose! Cubs lose! LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL flag. 7 losses in their last 8, get to go face the white-hot Pirates at PNC as their reward.

Only 19 games over .500 now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Let me put it another way. If the White Sox were going through what the Cubs are experiencing right now, 99% of Sox fans would be freaking out. I don't think it's time to freak out if you are a Cubs fan but there certainly is cause for concern especially if Arrieta regresses back to non-ace form.

It's getting close to freak out time for Cubs' fans, especially if they get swept in Pittsburgh.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 06:18 AM)
It's getting close to freak out time for Cubs' fans, especially if they get swept in Pittsburgh.

Even though Cubs kinda have the Pirates number the last couple seasons, they're meeting at a bad time for the Cubs considering how hot Pitt's playing and the Cubs floundering. Although the panic from fans and Chicago media over the All-Star break if they get swept will be pretty funny.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 12:40 AM)
To top it all off, the Cubs are going to arrive in Pittsburgh around 4-5 a.m.

That's really weird that they scheduled the makeup game at night, when both teams had day games on Wednesday. I wonder if it had to do with neighborhood night game regulations.

The cubs right now are where the White Sox were when they went into KC when they were struggling and the White Sox bullpen made the slide greater and pushed further downhill which after a couple more series pushed the Sox out of the playoff picture.

A sweep in Pittsburgh and the cubs now have to be thinking a lot more about things then they were a few weeks back.

There really is still no issue with their playoff scene but a sweep and eyebrows will be raised...the central division is terrible though.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
What happened?

Braves hit two cubs in 8th and gave up the lead because of it.

After Braves tied it in the 9th. Rodon threw in on francouer who was miffed and contrearas got into it with him and benches cleared.

Contrearas got the go ahead hit in the 8th when the cubs scored three to take the lead.

White Sox fans would call it one of the worst losses of the the year.

His go ahead hit, he was celebrating as he hit it but them had to run as it looked like Inciarte may have a diving shot at it.

He hit a meaningless HR a couple of weeks ago as they were getting smoked and point at the Cubs dugout and smirked.

He's a showboat.

Arrieta's last 9 starts vs. the Pirates : :o

4/20/15 = 7 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 7 K

5/17/15 = 7 IP, 1 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 7 K

8/4/15 = 7 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 3 BB, 5 K

9/16/15 = 8 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 5 K

9/27/15 = 7 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 9 K

10/7/15 = 9 IP, 0 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 11 K

5/3/16 = 7 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 5 K

5/14/16 = 8 IP, 2 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 11 K

6/17/16 = 6 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 3 BB, 11 K

Totals (9 starts) = 66 IP, 5 ER, 30 H, 12 BB, 71 K

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)

He plays them like a fiddle, which is why it'll be interesting to see if he can use them to snap out of it. I know some bridges that are going to get a lot of foot traffic if he doesn't.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
His go ahead hit, he was celebrating as he hit it but them had to run as it looked like Inciarte may have a diving shot at it.

He hit a meaningless HR a couple of weeks ago as they were getting smoked and point at the Cubs dugout and smirked.

He's a showboat.

LOL I'd take him on the White Sox in a heartbeat. I actually think the Cubs team is extremely likable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)

66 IP, 5 ER

Tonight - 6 IP, 6 ER

Meanwhile Chris Sale gives up 8 ER in 5 IP to the Braves and Tyler Flowers is crushing him

f***ing baseball man

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
That was genuinely a fun game to be at last night. The crowd loved beating up Arrieta.

He didn't mind going back and forth with them over Twitter last season, I'm sure they are still upset over that

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
LOL I'd take him on the White Sox in a heartbeat. I actually think the Cubs team is extremely likable.

I don't care for most of their starting rotation, but I really can't dislike most of their offense. Rizzo and Bryant are getting more and more media coverage, and they just seem like good dudes even if I want to dislike them.

PANIC IN THE STREETS...

Lester rocked again. No-name starter keeps the Pirates in it long enough for the middle relievers to hold down the fort.

Josh Bell is his second big league game, PHing (second hit, first was a single to CF)...HUGE GRAND SLAM.

Cleared the seats towards the Riverwalk. Hope Balta is there. Hanging change-up off Warren.

Next batter up, Jordy Mercer homers. Fireworks going off all over the city simultaneously for 200 year anniversary of city's founding in 1816.

Pirates have cut Cubs' lead from 15 to 6 1/2 games in about 3 weeks.

Lackey will attempt to avoid the sweep against Niese tmrw.

Edited by caulfield12

If the White Sox can get Baez OR Almora for Robertson at the deadline (assuming the same exact positioning as last year), you have to do it.

1) You clear up all that payroll space for taking on a hitter's contract to replace Garcia...likely, it's a veteran hitter OR someone like a Colby Rasmus, Desmond or Fowler this offseason who desire one year deals in order to go back out onto the market.

2) You give the job to Nate Jones for the remainder of 2016. There's no reason to think he can't do just about as well as Robertson, if not better.

3) You start making assessments of Burdi, Hansen, Fulmer, Adams, Danish, Guerrero and Stephens and put at least two of those guys on the bullpen/closer track in the minors and see how they respond (this is because 2017 is the final "all in" year before they have to seriously consider rebuilding again). There's no reason you can't "pull a Sale" and put those guys back into AFL/winter ball and then stretch them out again as starters before 2018, and the odds are two consecutive non-playoff seasons won't give you the budget to go out and buy yourself starters on the FA market (anyway), so all hands on deck at that point.

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume you can get two very good relievers out of that group...along with Putnam and Petricka returning and competing to improve the back end of the bullpen.

I'd also give Michael Ynoa a long/hard look in more high/er leverage situations, essentially unseating Albers (who's clearly not part of the future w/ the White Sox).

Goldberg is another guy I'd look at.