2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 10:03 PM)
Kaplan is approaching it wrong because he's a giant boob, but the idea isn't wrong.

We are root for the jersey, not really the player. Chapman seems like a giant piece of garbage, but damn can he throw hard.

We are all sports fans. We all witnessed 2005 (aside from Mike who I think was like 2 when it happened. :P ). When "your guys" are winning playoff series, you're not thinking "Well I'm really happy about this but I wish Chapman wasn't on my team right now...."

Cubs fans may be having a hard time with it right now. Once he puts on that jersey and records that first save, no one will be thinking about the DV charges from the off-season. Does that make it right? No. But Theo and Jed know they'll take a PR hit now. If they win the whole thing and Chapman records the save, you think there is a writer in this town that is going to minimize the Cubs 1st WS because of Chapman's past? Please.

MJ might've gotten his father wacked and nobody in Chicago gave a damn then or now as the titles were rolling in.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 10:54 PM)
MJ might've gotten his father wacked and nobody in Chicago gave a damn then or now as the titles were rolling in.

That was a might have based on some conspiracy theory and circumstantial information. There is no doubt about what Chapman did.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 09:03 PM)
Kaplan is approaching it wrong because he's a giant boob, but the idea isn't wrong.

We are root for the jersey, not really the player. Chapman seems like a giant piece of garbage, but damn can he throw hard.

We are all sports fans. We all witnessed 2005 (aside from Mike who I think was like 2 when it happened. :P ). When "your guys" are winning playoff series, you're not thinking "Well I'm really happy about this but I wish Chapman wasn't on my team right now...."

Cubs fans may be having a hard time with it right now. Once he puts on that jersey and records that first save, no one will be thinking about the DV charges from the off-season. Does that make it right? No. But Theo and Jed know they'll take a PR hit now. If they win the whole thing and Chapman records the save, you think there is a writer in this town that is going to minimize the Cubs 1st WS because of Chapman's past? Please.

Great post. I've had enough of whiny Cubs fans on my Twitter timeline. They are crying about adding a bad guy that throws 103 mph to a team that they root for. They don't have to hang with him and I've heard he's actually a good teammate. f*** off and enjoy the playoff run and get off the high horse. It's entertainment. I'm sure none of these people have a problem paying money to see a Johnny Depp film. I don't follow Sarah Spain or Julie DiCaro but their dumbass thoughts keep entering my timeline.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 02:47 AM)
Great post. I've had enough of whiny Cubs fans on my Twitter timeline. They are crying about adding a bad guy that throws 103 mph to a team that they root for. They don't have to hang with him and I've heard he's actually a good teammate. f*** off and enjoy the playoff run and get off the high horse. It's entertainment. I'm sure none of these people have a problem paying money to see a Johnny Depp film. I don't follow Sarah Spain or Julie DiCaro but their dumbass thoughts keep entering my timeline.

A few things on that:

1) It's refreshing that a fanbase that previously honored a scumbag like Bobby Hull now is suspicious of Aroldis Chapman.

2) There is something a little messed up about selling a women's size Chapman shirt considering he was accused of choking a woman and brandishing a firearm and firing it 8 times in his garage.

3) I think your point is still a good one. A baseball team is going to work with the players available and the Cubs have a need. If the MLB isn't actively disciplining Chapman, he's a baseball player in good standing.

I think the problem in Chicago Sports Media when it comes to these kinds of issues is there seems to be polar opposites, when in reality the middle is most reasonable. Yes, he's a s***head. Yes, it's weird that women can buy jerseys of an alleged domestic abuser. No, I don't blame the Cubs for trading for him.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
Joel Sherman saying Cubs are giving up 4 players for Chapman....Don't know if a extension is in the works.

Torres and Warren are in the deal. Other 2 are unknown right now. Rumors of Canidero (spelling?) and McKinney.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
That's an absolute haul for a rental player. Even if extension is on the table, Yanks are winning this one. Just reaffirms that someone will overpay for Q/Sale this deadline and Sox best not flinch.

With the Cubs bullpen woes, I can't blame them for overspending.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
That's an absolute haul for a rental player. Even if extension is on the table, Yanks are winning this one. Just reaffirms that someone will overpay for Q/Sale this deadline and Sox best not flinch.

SELL SELL SELL

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)

They have the money to sign him for whatever he wants.

He is not a rental to them.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Who will be available to sign for just money in 3 months...

I always can appreciate a front office really going for it, but it's QUITE a price for Chapman.

Its more than the Yanks gave up to get him. Seems really out of character for the Cubs, especially when a closer isnt really what they need.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
They have the money to sign him for whatever he wants.

He is not a rental to them.

Its not the money available its if he will sign the extension.

The deal probably started out as the one player if he wouldnt sign an extension and is growing to more players if he signs the extension.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
It is pretty ironic as well that Theo basically said he would never acquire a guy like Chapman because of his "moral compass"

Did he really say that? Thats more than ironic, thats bordering on political speak.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
That's what their surplus of talent is for, idk if Chapman was the guy to spend it on but man Yanks must be happy campers right now.

They got more back than they gave up for him in the first place. Thats a huge win.

QUOTE (aryzner @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
Looking at this, Chris Sale should command a package I thought was impossible.

I'm not worried about them receiving the deal they want, I'm more worried Jerry being delusional doesn't let Hahn pull the trigger. This deadline could shape the franchise for the next decade

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Eh, he still left it open that "people need second chances." I still think its funny.

Its very funny if he referenced a moral compass for players in the past?