2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
Judging by the attendance, most people don't like this.

I know. I don't enjoy this. I'm just saying that there are good seasons regardless if you don't win it all. By that logic, 29 teams a year don't have good seasons. If the Cubs get swept in the first round, their season was not exciting then. By your logic anyway.

I want to watch competitve baseball all season. Watch meaningful games in August and September. World Series win is even better.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
If the Cubs get swept in the first round, their season was not exciting then. By your logic anyway.

Here's what I said:

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
That's it. And being a World Series contender makes you exciting. You don't have to win it. The longer you believe you can win the WS, the more exciting. We are almost always out too early.

The longer you are in contention, the more exciting your season. Period. The first month of our season was exciting with a fast start. That's over now. If the Cubs lose in the first round, it will be a disappointment, but our season will still not be as excited as theirs.

I still can't believe Billy Beane traded Addison Russell for Shark. For a franchise with significant payroll limitations, trading a top 10 prospect in the game for a semi-rental is absolutely mind-boggling. Unlike our front office, the Cubs have effectively taken advantage of their opportunities to sell.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
Wrigley Field is fine once you are in your seat. Everything else sucks about it though. Limited beer options, the food is bad, there are people everywhere and nowhere to walk, minimal ATM machines, it takes forever to get there. I usually go once a year because my wife is a Pirates fan but other than that I wouldn't take free tickets. I don't hate the Cubs either. I'm just a White Sox fan that isn't real interested in the whole Wrigley Field thing.

Great post. Being cramped at all times is no fun for the average fan.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
Right, and I understand that, but I can't really recommend a Sox game when the baseball product is really garbage, the environment is bad (empty stadium). It's a great park to get around and it has a lot more character than it used to have and the food is still amazing, but I can't recommend that horrible product. I wish I could.

The food being amazing and the fact the games are so poorly attended has its advantages. You can spread out and enjoy the experience more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 11:40 PM)
I think fans everywhere pay less attention to a game or to a concert or any event than ever before, people now have to take 1000 pictures or video missing out, IMO, on a lot of the experience.

Also any pop up sounds like a home run because a lot of the lower deck seats you can't see the ball in the air. I live closer to Wrigley,but unless someone invites me, I have zero desire to attend. When they get all the renovations done, I will probably go. It might cost the price of my 27 game package for 1 game.

If I had a seat where I couldn't see the ball in the air I'd leave. It would be just just awful. As far as fans taking videos .. WTF with that? Every highlight is on TV or mlb.com. Why do your own video? To brag you were at the game? Nobody wants to see that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 06:50 PM)
My big question is why are people wasting their time if this isn't something they get enjoyment out of?

Ah the 10,000 dollar question. A lot of people b**** about their team. Just like the fan in Major League. The Randy Quaid character. If your teams sucks and you are a fan, you don't stop watching but many do start b****ing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
Great post. Being cramped at all times is no fun for the average fan.

The food being amazing and the fact the games are so poorly attended has its advantages. You can spread out and enjoy the experience more.

If I had a seat where I couldn't see the ball in the air I'd leave. It would be just just awful. As far as fans taking videos .. WTF with that? Every highlight is on TV or mlb.com. Why do your own video? To brag you were at the game? Nobody wants to see that.

Ah the 10,000 dollar question. A lot of people b**** about their team. Just like the fan in Major League. The Randy Quaid character. If your teams sucks and you are a fan, you don't stop watching but many do start b****ing.

This isn't just at Cubs games...This is literally EVERYWHERE in today' society. As a 25 year old I hate going out with people taking pics and videos and just sitting on their phone. Live in the moment.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 01:29 AM)
This isn't just at Cubs games...This is literally EVERYWHERE in today' society. As a 25 year old I hate going out with people taking pics and videos and just sitting on their phone. Live in the moment.

It's the MLB's fault. They have been the worst of the major sports in terms of getting their content on social media. Their youtube presence is essentially negligible.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)

Soxfan2014 tell me more. I know a lot of older people who are using their phones more and more but I'd like to know about 25 year olds. If you are at a bar drinking, are all the people you are with texting and checking websites on their phones the entire time at the bar? If you go to a ballgame is it texting the whole game? Is texting/surfing the iphone the single most important reason 25 year olds get up in the morning? Are all addicted to their phones? Thanx.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
I still can't believe Billy Beane traded Addison Russell for Shark. For a franchise with significant payroll limitations, trading a top 10 prospect in the game for a semi-rental is absolutely mind-boggling. Unlike our front office, the Cubs have effectively taken advantage of their opportunities to sell.

Their front office is superior in the scouting department unlike our front office. The Cubs model will not work for the Sox. They got it right on a couple of picks. The players they traded away are nowhere near the quality of a Sale or Q. The Russell trade is a form of luck. The only other organization that could make a boneheaded move like that is the Sox.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 08:52 PM)
Their front office is superior in the scouting department unlike our front office. The Cubs model will not work for the Sox. They got it right on a couple of picks. The players they traded away are nowhere near the quality of a Sale or Q. The Russell trade is a form of luck. The only other organization that could make a boneheaded move like that is the Sox.

Er, D-Backs?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 08:52 PM)

Okay, so why can't the Sox do what the Cubs did and do a complete teardown? The owner argument? The lack of fan trust in management to do a successful rebuild (and acquire the right pieces)? Or are the players we have to offer not what the Cubs did? The Russell, Rizxo and Strop/Arrieta trades were all luck.

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 07:10 AM)
Okay, so why can't the Sox do what the Cubs did and do a complete teardown? The owner argument? The lack of fan trust in management to do a successful rebuild (and acquire the right pieces)? Or are the players we have to offer not what the Cubs did? The Russell, Rizxo and Strop/Arrieta trades were all luck.

The cubs did a baseball wide organizational rebuild which focused on philosophies on how they wanted to go about building their team. The white sox are not firing everyone from KW on down nor do they have any idea on how to build a team other than getting guys that had good stats on the baseball card as viewed in 1988.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 12:29 AM)

I lost my phone at Red Rocks prior to a show, and after realizing there wasn't a thing I could possibly do until after, put it in the back of my mind and tried to enjoy the show. It was one of the better shows of the year for me, and as a bonus, phone was recovered afterwards (Drop an iPhone, people will scramble for it, drop a Windows Phone, it will be left where it is or turned into lost and found).

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
The cubs did a baseball wide organizational rebuild which focused on philosophies on how they wanted to go about building their team. The white sox are not firing everyone from KW on down nor do they have any idea on how to build a team other than getting guys that had good stats on the baseball card as viewed in 1988.

Okay, but they should be able to listen on offers for any ballplayer. If they don't consider the teardown, they are fools. And I'll gladly go to SoxFest, practice a good rant ahead of time and rip KW and RH a new one. Moreso KW, since he's the asshole running this s***show.