2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
Yeah, the bandwagon f***ers piss me off. They will be jumping up and down screaming how much they love the cubs and have been waiting for this. Most can't even name the manager from 2014.

Nothing pisses me off more than casual Cubs fans acting like they've always cared.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
Nothing pisses me off more than casual Cubs fans acting like they've always cared.

Are Sox fans allowed to say this? Aren't we(obviously nobody on this board but you get what I'm saying) in general like the biggest bandwagon fans around?

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
Are Sox fans allowed to say this? Aren't we(obviously nobody on this board but you get what I'm saying) in general like the biggest bandwagon fans around?

Perhaps. But I don't think we see anywhere near as big of a mass fan migration as the Cubs do whenever they do well.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
Perhaps. But I don't think we see anywhere near as big of a mass fan migration as the Cubs do whenever they do well.

There is a pretty distinct showing in attendance when we suck and when we're good. Cubs draw no matter what.

Fans calling other fans bandwagon has become so overdone.

Fangraphs has the Cubs at 17.2% odds to win it all (Red Sox are 2nd at 15.5%). That's about a 56% chance on average to win each series, that feels about right.

Aside from the usual reasons to root against them, I don't want them to win because it's already almost impossible for a lot of people to talk about the Sox without mentioning the Cubs (and this doesn't happen vice-versa), but if the Cubs win it all then this will become 10 times worse, including (especially?) here.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)

I feel like we're the exact opposite. The same people are Sox fans if they win or lose, it's just those people won't go to games if they lose.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
I hope they get swept in the NLDS. I've been the "Sox guy" ever since I was a little kid. Back in the day, we'd have some fun and go back and forth with it and then once the Sox won most of the s*** talking went away. All of a sudden everybody became Hawk fans. Recently, a bunch of people who don't know baseball and have never talked baseball with me have started talking the s*** again. I am annoyed by it. I don't hate the Cubs team or their players but I wish their fans' suffering to continue.

Maybe that's immature, but oh well.

Nah, 100% this.

I hope they get swept in the NLDS. I've been the "Sox guy" ever since I was a little kid. Back in the day, we'd have some fun and go back and forth with it and then once the Sox won most of the s*** talking went away. All of a sudden everybody became Hawk fans. Recently, a bunch of people who don't know baseball and have never talked baseball with me have started talking the s*** again. I am annoyed by it. I don't hate the Cubs team or their players but I wish their fans' suffering to continue.

100% this. I'm married to a diehard Cubs fan who used to share season tickets with a couple buddies of mine. There's nothing she wants more in this world than a Cubs championship. Call me selfish, call me immature, but f*** that team. I can't stomach the thought of a Cubs World Series. I may not openly be as big of an asshole as I was during the 2003, 2007, & 2008 playoffs, but deep down inside I will be cheering against them.

Unfortunately I envy their organization. They hit on 2 draft picks and took advantage of a stupid trade. That doesn't happen all of the time and most like will never happen on the south side with the current ownership.

I do like your attitude.

This is spot freakin on. It's unfortunate their fans are the most obnoxious, frat bros types (maybe 2nd to Boston but it's a close race) because the team itself is pretty likeable aside from Maddon. Saying that I'm not gonna be guilted by my Cubs fan friends and Chicago media into cheering "for the Chicago team". F*** that, I'm a Sox fan, the more the Cubs suffer the funnier it is for me and just about every other Sox fan.

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 05:46 AM)
Let me ask you all this. Is there, or should there be "Chicago fans," where people are loyal to one team but cheer for the other in the postseason if their team is not there? And, if your wife/girlfriend/family/friends are Cubs fans or have ties to being Cubs fans, how would you approach what is about to happen this October? My approach right now is to just not address it and say they are having a hell of the season. I wish them well but I am not actively cheering for or against them.

I really can't see anyone but the Nationals having a legit shot beating the Northsiders in the postseason.

I don't cheer against them, but I will be happy when (please) they lose. Most,if not all, of my friends who root for the Cubs are good fans. It's not them I worry about. It's more the collective douchiness of their fans and the media slurping that sickens me.

I hate that their fans are so proud that they are the majority of the crowd at some away games. it just seems that a good number of their fans care more about being part of the fan group than they care about the actual team. It's like the people who are on social media who only care about how many friends or followers they have.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Sep 17, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
I don't cheer against them, but I will be happy when (please) they lose. Most,if not all, of my friends who root for the Cubs are good fans. It's not them I worry about. It's more the collective douchiness of their fans and the media slurping that sickens me.

I hate that their fans are so proud that they are the majority of the crowd at some away games. it just seems that a good number of their fans care more about being part of the fan group than they care about the actual team. It's like the people who are on social media who only care about how many friends or followers they have.

Yeah the Bartman series I was resigned to the fact they were going to the WS. I was in the "wishing them well" mode. Then when they blew it I found I was pretty happy they blew it.

"I abhor this argument. I was called a s***ty Chicagoan and sore loser for not rooting for the Cubs last year. I couldn't believe the guys were serious when they were saying this stuff to me. I am South Side born and raised and while I don't pay the Cubs any extra attention than any big fan of of any other team but where I am from, we were raised like it was ar rivalry. We would never support them in the playoffs regardless of being from the city.

I know everybody is all evolved now a days but I am competitive as can be as a person. I don't change allegiances like that on a whim. I'll never root for them and I'll never want good things for their fans."

This x100. If there's one thing I am more tired of than the Cubs hype, it's this incredulous reaction I get from people when they learn I'm rooting against the Cubs. It's always some variation of "you're a bad Chicagoan" along with an underlying implication that you must be some sort of miserable and bitter person to, you know, root *against* a team. This is sports for god's sake. Rooting against teams is part of the fun. And this is Chicago sports. I'm 40, and I'm old enough to remember when it was more or less assumed that a Chicagoan "picked a team" and rooted against the other one. You know, "...the Go-Go White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs." That's the traditional way of approaching baseball in this city. This milquetoast "I root for everybody!" style is all well and good, but that is the departure from the norm, not the act of rooting against your city rival. (Yes, rival.)

I expect nothing less from the Cubs fans when we're in the playoffs, and respect the ones who give as well as they get. Unfortunately most Cubs fans use their defense mechanism of making a big show about how little they care about the Sox, since their own self-perceived first-class status is all they've had since the Sox finally got their WS. I won't play that game. Go Mets/Giants/Nats/Dodgers.

I seriously believe at the end of the day, they need to win one, get the celebration over with, and the STFU.

I used to hate and root against them. I can now honestly say I am very indifferent while also respecting the ownership/management commitment to building long term success up and down the system. With that said, the best thing that can happen if/when they win one, is they either become like the Red Sox where the rest of the world finally realizes how annoying and douchey their broader fan base truly is, or they start another 108 year futility streak. Either way, something's gotta give. The constant agony, wait 'til next year, it's gonna happen, flythew, Bartman, 1969, etc. stuff has to end. Please!

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
I seriously believe at the end of the day, they need to win one, get the celebration over with, and the STFU.

I used to hate and root against them. I can now honestly say I am very indifferent while also respecting the ownership/management commitment to building long term success up and down the system. With that said, the best thing that can happen if/when they win one, is they either become like the Red Sox where the rest of the world finally realizes how annoying and douchey their broader fan base truly is, or they start another 108 year futility streak. Either way, something's gotta give. The constant agony, wait 'til next year, it's gonna happen, flythew, Bartman, 1969, etc. stuff has to end. Please!

Couldn't say it any better than this.