2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)

So the cold weather has been the curse all these years? :P

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite what happened in the NLCS last year, I'd have to imagine the Cubs are rooting for the Mets to survive the 3-team wild card battle royale. Syndergaard is the only available ace and he's hurt, then they have Colon and Sergio Lugo. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but there would seem to be a major advantage there.

Jay Bruce has a .536 OPS as a Met.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
I hope they get swept in the NLDS. I've been the "Sox guy" ever since I was a little kid. Back in the day, we'd have some fun and go back and forth with it and then once the Sox won most of the s*** talking went away. All of a sudden everybody became Hawk fans. Recently, a bunch of people who don't know baseball and have never talked baseball with me have started talking the s*** again. I am annoyed by it. I don't hate the Cubs team or their players but I wish their fans' suffering to continue.

Maybe that's immature, but oh well.

This is what annoys me the most. People that don't even pay attention to baseball (especially outside the Cubs) and never have, have latched on and just become insufferable. It's the Blackhawks 2010 all over again. I don't need you to be able to recite stats or discuss advance metrics, but don't try talking s*** to me as a Sox fan. I am 100% positive I am a more rabid baseball fan than you and I will talk you under the table if you bring that nonsense. I was at Wrigley 2 years ago for the Crosstown Classic, there was no one there. Please dont pretend like your fanbase isn't fairweather as f***. Small anecdote from another experience at Wrigley: some friends and I went to the final game of the 2012 Wrigley sweep Crosstown Classic. After the game, not only was I called a f***** by Cubs fans, but 2 tried starting a fight with my friend and I and some others were telling his girlfriend how ugly she was. Why should I ever want that fanbase to feel joy? There are bad eggs in every fanbase (The Sox have plenty), but that type of behavior is unacceptable in my belief and there is a decent amount of it in that fanbase. Not the first time I've experienced that sort of stuff there.

I don't care about people who never cared about them before being fans. Let them enjoy the moment. They are happy that a major team in their city may very well win the world series. I find it curmudgeonous harping on bandwagoners. I didn't give a s*** about hockey and rooted for the blackhawks once they got good. It's fun when your city is winning championships. I honestly don't want the Cubs to win the world series. I've said I don't care if they win it or not, but once the playoffs come around, I always want them to fricken lose. But I can tell you what; if they win, I will be enjoying the party that will ensue afterwards.

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
"I abhor this argument. I was called a s***ty Chicagoan and sore loser for not rooting for the Cubs last year. I couldn't believe the guys were serious when they were saying this stuff to me. I am South Side born and raised and while I don't pay the Cubs any extra attention than any big fan of of any other team but where I am from, we were raised like it was ar rivalry. We would never support them in the playoffs regardless of being from the city.

I know everybody is all evolved now a days but I am competitive as can be as a person. I don't change allegiances like that on a whim. I'll never root for them and I'll never want good things for their fans."

This x100. If there's one thing I am more tired of than the Cubs hype, it's this incredulous reaction I get from people when they learn I'm rooting against the Cubs. It's always some variation of "you're a bad Chicagoan" along with an underlying implication that you must be some sort of miserable and bitter person to, you know, root *against* a team. This is sports for god's sake. Rooting against teams is part of the fun. And this is Chicago sports. I'm 40, and I'm old enough to remember when it was more or less assumed that a Chicagoan "picked a team" and rooted against the other one. You know, "...the Go-Go White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs." That's the traditional way of approaching baseball in this city. This milquetoast "I root for everybody!" style is all well and good, but that is the departure from the norm, not the act of rooting against your city rival. (Yes, rival.)

I expect nothing less from the Cubs fans when we're in the playoffs, and respect the ones who give as well as they get. Unfortunately most Cubs fans use their defense mechanism of making a big show about how little they care about the Sox, since their own self-perceived first-class status is all they've had since the Sox finally got their WS. I won't play that game. Go Mets/Giants/Nats/Dodgers.

Excellent post. You really have to want the Cubs to lose if you are a Sox fan I think.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
Either way, something's gotta give. The constant agony, wait 'til next year, it's gonna happen, flythew, Bartman, 1969, etc. stuff has to end. Please!

No it doesn't have to end. If some team can knock off the Cubs this year, it could start a Detroit Tigers type spiral when it counts. Lose the big ones. It'd be nice to keep them out of the WS completely. I'm telling you if some team can figure a way to beat the Cubs it just might keep the ineptitude going. The Cubs are probably going to win, but it doesn't have to happen.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
'We Got the Fire' is an anthem for Cubs' postseason. We got the goat is more like it.

what a great post!

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
This is what annoys me the most. People that don't even pay attention to baseball (especially outside the Cubs) and never have, have latched on and just become insufferable. It's the Blackhawks 2010 all over again. I don't need you to be able to recite stats or discuss advance metrics, but don't try talking s*** to me as a Sox fan. I am 100% positive I am a more rabid baseball fan than you and I will talk you under the table if you bring that nonsense. I was at Wrigley 2 years ago for the Crosstown Classic, there was no one there. Please dont pretend like your fanbase isn't fairweather as f***. Small anecdote from another experience at Wrigley: some friends and I went to the final game of the 2012 Wrigley sweep Crosstown Classic. After the game, not only was I called a f***** by Cubs fans, but 2 tried starting a fight with my friend and I and some others were telling his girlfriend how ugly she was. Why should I ever want that fanbase to feel joy? There are bad eggs in every fanbase (The Sox have plenty), but that type of behavior is unacceptable in my belief and there is a decent amount of it in that fanbase. Not the first time I've experienced that sort of stuff there.

Great post. Remember this. Cub fans hate the Sox and wanted us to lose in 05. For sure they did not support the Sox. f*** the Cubs.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
I always want them to fricken lose. But I can tell you what; if they win, I will be enjoying the party that will ensue afterwards.

Terrible post. Terrible. I guess you could pretend to be happy if it gets you free beer or helps you pick up women but cmon. You always want them to lose but are gonna celebrate them winning? Ugh. Awful post.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
Excellent post. You really have to want the Cubs to lose if you are a Sox fan I think.

No it doesn't have to end. If some team can knock off the Cubs this year, it could start a Detroit Tigers type spiral when it counts. Lose the big ones. It'd be nice to keep them out of the WS completely. I'm telling you if some team can figure a way to beat the Cubs it just might keep the ineptitude going. The Cubs are probably going to win, but it doesn't have to happen.

what a great post!

Great post. Remember this. Cub fans hate the Sox and wanted us to lose in 05. For sure they did not support the Sox. f*** the Cubs.

Terrible post. Terrible. I guess you could pretend to be happy if it gets you free beer or helps you pick up women but cmon. You always want them to lose but are gonna celebrate them winning? Ugh. Awful post.

I would be happy for the city and the people that have been waiting so long for it to happen, like my grandpa.

I was going to argue with your testament that it was a terrible post, but nobody knows more about terrible posts than you do Greg. It must be true.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 09:24 PM)
If I didn't need another reason to root against the Cubs, it's all this David Ross tribute s***. A career journeyman backup catcher, two years in Chicago, many fans thought a waste of a roster spot, but he is best buds with Theo and Lester, so treat him like Carlton f***ing Fisk.

How David Ross has been a plus on offense this year is an absolute mystery to me.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Assuming the LOL is because I'm Captain Obvious, and not because you disagree.

No I wasnt sure if you really thought so. I guess it could be obvious but they have been talking about giving him an extension for months now and they wait until today to say, you know what lets make this happen and rub it in the Sox face? If they did that its worth a LOL from me cuz thats f***ed up.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
No I wasnt sure if you really thought so. I guess it could be obvious but they have been talking about giving him an extension for months now and they wait until today to say, you know what lets make this happen and rub it in the Sox face? If they did that its worth a LOL from me cuz thats f***ed up.

I might just have tunnel vision but the timing seems too close to be a coincidence. They see it as a marketing opportunity to dejected Sox fans, maybe? "Hey, while the other team is waffling about whether they want to rehire their hated manager, we just extended our front office Golden Boy."

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
I might just have tunnel vision but the timing seems too close to be a coincidence. They see it as a marketing opportunity to dejected Sox fans, maybe? "Hey, while the other team is waffling about whether they want to rehire their hated manager, we just extended our front office Golden Boy."

I doubt the Cubs care one bit about the Sox right now. Also, no way they could arrange the move this quickly with the Nightengale tweet a few hours ago.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
I doubt the Cubs care one bit about the Sox right now. Also, no way they could arrange the move this quickly with the Nightengale tweet a few hours ago.

The deal could have already been finished whenever ago, it's the announcement I think they timed.